[SIDEBAR] Lt. Aine Sherlock - Heart To Heart

Aine Sherlock

Nov 22, 2023, 4:17:03 PM11/22/23
to sb118-o...@googlegroups.com
((Conference Room, Deck 1, USS 'Oumuamua))

Thinking back, there were more than a few times Aine had wanted to speak up against a senior officer. But she hadn't. She'd been a "good officer." The first time anything close to that eventually happened was with Alora back on 118. When the two of them were stuck in a room together, watching an interrogation, she'd had a lot of time to address what was on her mind. And she did. Not in the way Nilsen had just done, though. And it turned out for the good. She was going to try and salvage what she could of this opportunity.

Aine tilted her head and suddenly her face got serious. Was he really asking that? Sure she'd been teasing them all, but what else are senior officers going to do for fun? The Ensigns can't be the only ones. But trust, that was an issue on a whole other level. And if he genuinely didn't think she trusted him, he'd have no reason to trust her. She put her palms up, hoping to calm him down and get him to stop for a second.

Sherlock: I'm going to explain everything. And you're going to let me talk now, understood?

Nilsen: Okay fine

Sherlock: The teasing, that happens to everyone when they're new. Well, not me. But that's because I wasn't new long. But that's a story for another time. But I can promise you, it's not personal. Think about all the times you and other junior officers talk and snicker behind a senior officer's back. ::beat:: Yeah, we do that too. We're all human...well, most are human.

Nilsen: ::Sighs:: I suppose. Just like with my family. Still, it doesn’t scream you trust me.

Without showing a single physical sign, Aine took note of him mentioning his family. If she were a counselor, which she most definitely was not, that would be a path she'd go down.

Sherlock: If I really didn't trust you, if I didn't think you were a good officer with the potential to be a great one, do you think I would have let you stay on this bridge? Seriously ::beat:: I need you. And I need you at your best.

Nilsen: ::Puzzled:: You trust me?…you need me? Nah you're just saying that now.

Sherlock: And ::swallowing hard both physically and metaphorically:: I'm actually proud of you. That you stood up for yourself just now. Aside from the first ers and ums, that was the first time I've heard you be assertive.

Nilsen: You’re…proud of me?

It was clear she was getting through to him. She could see the emotion coming through. It was what he needed to hear, and more importantly, know.

Sherlock: Yes. Besides standing up for yourself, you also got us out of the line of fire back there. This ship is still standing because of you, not me.

The Ensign walked over to the window, and she knew to stand back and give him a moment.

Nilsen: I’m going to need you to lay off me sir (beat), or at least let me have the odd sarky comment back :smiles:

Aine smiled and let out a slight laugh, shaking her head.

Sherlock: Alright, that's fair.

Nilsen: How did you know about the spacewalk? We covered all our tracks? Rerouted inputs, did everything?

Sherlock: Yeah, well, doesn't matter what you do. Because if someone's out on the hull, ship can't move. And we all can deduce what that means, when no EVA is scheduled.

Nilsen: I’ll just say I’d rather fight 100 bloodthirsty Klingons out to kill me than go back out there on the hull.

Sherlock: EVA's aren't that bad, you get used to them. Just don't eat eggs before ::beat:: well, that's another story for later.

There was a brief moment where it seemed like they were suddenly connecting until the topic shifted.

Nilsen: You know half the ensigns are terrified of you? They, I think, feel the same as I do. :: correcting himself:: I did. They can't trust you, cos they don't think you trust them.

Sherlock: Well, trust is earned...both ways. And I earn trust by performing as an officer. That's all that really matters out here. And after today, if they don't trust me, that's their problem, not mine.

She shrugged, because it was true. Whatever happened off duty that never ended up on the books had nothing to do with one's performance as an officer. They didn't need to like her on or off duty. But when the uniform and badge were on, that was all that mattered.

Nilsen: response

Aine gave the Ensign a nod and began to turn to leave the conference room but suddenly stopped and looked back over her shoulder.

Sherlock: Oh, one more thing, Ensign.

Nilsen: response

She turned fully around quickly, stepping right up to him and pointing a finger in his face. He towered over her, but she looked up into his eyes attempting to make him feel small.

Sherlock: If you ever speak to me like that again, I WILL make you number sixteen! DO YOU GET ME!?

Nilsen: response

Sherlock: Cross me again, and I WILL eat your heart!

Her eyes burned into his and she held the gaze, without blinking for what felt like an eternity.

Sherlock: ::her accent suddenly came out strong:: Jaysus, Nilsen, take a feckin' joke.

She turned one last time, again shaking her head, as she marched back to the bridge.

tags/End Sidebar

Lieutenant Aine Sherlock
Security Officer
U.S.S. Oumuamua