LTJG Josh Herrick: Answers, please?

Mark P

Dec 2, 2023, 11:32:32 AM12/2/23
to sb118-o...@googlegroups.com

(( Ancient Outpost - Exterior, Alpha Brenkelvi II ))

The away team had been having mixed interactions with the system that seemed to operate the bulk of Alpha Brenkelvi II. At first, it seemed like it wanted to send the away team away; now, it seemed like it wanted to learn more about them — but with a kinder approach. Maybe something along the adage of ‘you get more flies with honey than with vinegar’.

Arlill: But while it could just take the information it’s chosen to ask permission instead. (beat) A lot more polite than before… must have learned more than we expected from the UT.

The XO turned towards Max, who in turn positioned himself to fully face the commander.

Etan: It appears to be going out of its way to prove that it can be trusted and that we are safe. :: beat :: What do you make of it, Lieutenant? :: beat :: Could this be a trap?

Gauging his answer, Max shook his head slowly.

Maxwell: I don't think so, sir. The place has a feel about it. ::He shrugged a shoulder lightly.:: Safe. Kind ae like being hame. I'd normally be on edge about somewhere being so calm, but this....

Herrick: ::continuing on as Max trailed off:: Feels… right? Like, we were meant to be here? I wonder why it's now willing to interface with us. Do you think it’s trying to give us a clue or trying to stack us up?

Arlill: I think that’s possible, let me see, if you don’t mind ::taking the tricorder from Herrick::

As Toxin tapped away at the tricorder, the banks of screens on the wall changed. No longer were they displaying images of visitor’s past, now each one an image of each officer rotating with lines and data detailing their life signs and physiology in detail. Another screen had various images of their technology, the tricorders, the VRDs, even the med kit tools.

Arlill: It seems to be getting more data from the VRDs than they were programmed to.

Etan: It’s learning everything about us.

Maxwell: Curious wee chap, aye?

Herrick: Didn’t curiosity kil... ::he stopped himself:: Better to not get misinterpreted; just because it’s learning Federation Standard doesn’t mean it would get colloquialisms.

There was a brief pause as the team looked at the screens, perhaps somewhat curious about the breakdowns and pondering the implications of this latest development.

Etan: It’s creating 3-D images of everything it’s studying. :: his eyebrows raised slightly. :: Impressive.

Maxwell: These readouts and images look tae be more advanced than a holosuite.....

Arlill: I agree, I’ve not seen anything like that.

The screen in the centre had been flashing rather empty images of the cavern, and then a wave of déjà vu hit Josh.

Etan: Look! :: he exclaimed. :: That’s a video feed of us entering the room! I should be seeing Obasaan any second.

Almost as if prompted by the XO, that particular image was enlarged to give them a better view of it. Upon the screen a blurry and indistinct figure appeared. It was hard to make out the exact details, it could have been anything — including Mr. Voss. Just like the sphere, it was hard for Josh to look at it for an extended period.

Etan: Does everyone else see that?!

Max nodded and Herrick murmured his agreement.

Maxwell: Aye, the outline looks kind ae like my auld Da.

Etan: We’re not alone. :: beat :: We have a guide.

Arlill: That seems to be the case, fascinating.

The acting chief engineer remained silent; he couldn’t argue the overwhelming sense of safety but just in the tiniest corner of his mind, there was a slight suspicion. Why would it take the form of people they trust? It took a significant amount of mental energy to hang on to that feeling; fear that if it slipped away, he’d get wrapped up in what the beings wanted and care less about the facts.

Maxwell: Hear that?

A passageway had opened in one of the walls, curving away to one side and so obscuring its ultimate destination from view. In the doorway stood Mr. Voss — that same warm and caring smile that he’d worn whenever Josh had come over to play with his friend. It was weird to see the Commander talk to him; and reconcile that he wasn’t talking to Mr. Voss but his Obasaan instead.

Etan: Can you understand us?

Mr. Voss nodded.

Etan: Can you communicate with us?

Mr. Voss shook his head, offering a small frown.

Maxwell: Orders, sir?

Arlill: We should follow right? If they wanted us dead, I’m not sure they’d be showing us all of this.

Herrick: I’m not sure that should be the sole reason but… ::turning back to the closed door they’d entered through:: I don’t see any other avenue for us to take.

Mr. Voss turned and walked away into the passageway, disappearing from view.

Etan: Alright then. We move on. :: beat :: Max, take point.

Maxwell: Sir.

The group followed the being, Herrick’s Mr. Voss, Etan’s Obasaan, Max’s Da, and whoever Arlill was seeing. Herrick pulled up the rear and it was easy to see some of the team’s excitement at seeing their loved ones. For Josh on the other hand, even though the man had saved his life, seeing him again brought memories and mixed feelings.

As the passageway straightened out again, Max came to a sudden and immediate stop. Arlill fell in behind Etan behind Maxwell as they proceeded through the new entrance.

Maxwell: Jeez-oh.....

Arlill: What is… (beat) oh my, how is this even possible?! It’s not that large outside, at least didn’t seem like it.

Etan: Response.

Josh only glanced around at the gigantic chamber, noting the phase-shifted spirals, before his attention was grabbed by the crowd in front of him. His folks, his grandparents, his sister, and many other family and friends. That tug of warmth and serenity growing stronger, almost trying to suffocate his cynicism that there could be a nefarious intent from these beings.

The engineer's father began to motion with his hands; a non-verbal language apparently but he wasn’t trained in sign. Luckily though, it appeared another member of the group was able to interpret.

(OOC: Really like the direction this took — I took it that Toxin’s speaking aloud as he’s signing back and forth with the being. If I got that wrong; we'd prolly just cut Herrick's interpretations of what the beings have said.)

Herrick’s Dad/Being: {Son, I – we – have so much to tell you and your friends. But we don't have much time.....}

Herrick: ::murmuring back as he wonders the implication:: Don’t have much time

Etan / Maxwell: Response.

Arlill: Yes sir (beat) {Who are you?}

Herrick’s Dad/Being: {We are from before.}

Arlill: {What does that mean?}

As Josh’s dad stepped backwards, he seemed to split into more individuals. He recognized some of them from old holo-images; they were far back in his family history.

Herrick: Maybe, he… er… it means that they’ve existed for a long time. I recognize the new folks as my ancestors. Maybe it’s like a loan term for something like ‘forever ago’?

Etan / Maxwell: Response.

Arlill: Yes sir. ::taking readings on his tricorder:: I’m not picking up physical beings, but am getting chroniton energy readings from each of the beings we’re seeing.

Herrick: …Chroniton based beings…? That’s something I didn’t learn about in the Academy.

Etan / Maxwell: Response.

Arlill: {What do you want to tell us?}

Herrick’s Ancestor/Being: {We were, and are, and will forever be.}

Arlill: {So you are here and in every time? Or are you immortal?}

Etan / Herrick / Maxwell: Response.

Herrick: If that’s how they messaged themselves to others; it’s no wonder this became another Mecca-like place… people could interpret it as the afterlife.

Then the topic shifted abruptly; with his dad coming back into focus at the front of the crowd.

Herrick’s Dad/Being: {Do not worry, they are fine as well.}

Etan / Maxwell: Response.

Josh wasn’t exactly used to having a manual interpreter but in diplomatic courses, he’d learn that you’d address the ‘speaker’ rather than the translator — partly because it’s polite, and partly so you don’t confuse the translator as to whom you’re addressing.

Herrick: ::thinking back to the images they saw, and then to his dad:: And, what of the Oumuamua? We can’t make contact with her.

Etan / Maxwell / Arlill / Being(s): Response.

The being motioned to the left and a semi-transparent ‘screen’ appeared, Josh suspected it was being broadcast into their mind like these beings, and the images of Rouiancet, Brzezinski and someone he didn’t recognize appeared. The last person seemed out of phase; at brief moments almost resembling Nilsen.

Etan / Maxwell / Arlill / Being(s): Response.

Another cryptic response. As advanced as these people were, there was still a chasm of understanding between them. Sometimes a direct approach could cut through to the heart of the matter, even if it wasn’t exactly ‘first contact’ behaviour. He glanced at Etan, hoping the commander wouldn't be displeased as he turned back and spoke to his 'father'.

Herrick: You led us here, what do you want from us?

Etan / Maxwell / Arlill / Being(s): Response.

TBC / Tags!

---

Lieutenant JG Josh Herrick

Acting Chief Engineer