Ensign Herrick: Mellow Fellow

markanthonyparker

Jun 22, 2023, 10:38:06 PM6/22/23
to USS 'Oumuamua – StarBase 118 Star Trek PBEM RPG

(( Bridge, Deck 1, USS 'Oumuamua ))

Josh’s emotional states had been flipping back and forth. Some moments, he felt the thrill and excitement from being on the bridge. Then, he would get a calming wave wash over him. Thankfully, he remained alert and cognizant in the shifts he was experiencing.

V'Airu: Perhaps we should summon medical, too.

The engineer wasn’t sure if it was humour he detected in the Commodore’s voice; he had finally complete a full duty shift without interruption and he was hoping this was nothing Sickbay worth.

Herrick: (a bit too hurriedly) No, no. I don’t think it’s anything bad, sir.

Katsim: I suspect argon. Carbon and helium as well, as it’s common to see blue in nebulae that contain them as they scatter the blue colour more effectively. The gold could be a combination of hydrogen and nitrogen.

Katsim approached one of the bridge consoles that would allow her to do more with the 'Oumuamua's limited sensors. Ossa, at least for the moment, stayed put.

V’Airu: Or would the nebula's makeup be able to tell us anything about its nature?

Katsim: There is a lot of interference, but I can confirm my suspicions. Sirillium is also present and… (beat, accessing)I’m getting some interesting energy readings, though I can’t get a clear enough scan to determine what exactly they are.

A noticeable flash occurred within the nebula, and another wave of calm enveloped Josh. If he was to describe the feeling, he would have equated it with the same effect as getting a warm hug from a close friend or family member.

Herrick saw the Commodore’s head snap to Katsim; the action felt in juxtaposition to his emotional state.

V'Airu: I just felt a sudden, unexpected emotion. Did either of you experience something similar?

Herrick: I’m fine Commodore; actually, better than fine. I feel serene.

Knowing it was not only him experiencing something put him further at ease.

Herrick: oO At least we’re in this together. Oo

Katsim: Response

V'Airu: Perhaps I will summon medical, just in case. =/\= Bridge to Sickbay. =/\=

Solari: =/\= Response =/\=

V'Airu: =/\= Report to the bridge, please. I have some (beat) unusual symptoms to discuss. =/\=

Herrick’s eyebrow lifted ever so lightly at the word unusual. He wondered what would be going through the medical officer’s mind at the relatively vague description. His mind flashed back to words Etan left him with in their last encounter: There is never a dull day around here.

Solari: =/\= Response =/\=

V'Airu: Please, continue with the analysis. This may be relevant, or it may not be. Katsim, you said interesting energy readings?

Katsim: Response

Another flash of light erupted from the nebula, this one the most prominent so far. Again the engineer was bathed in zen. Then, it clicked. As he spoke, his voice didn’t have seem to have the excitement related to a new discovery.

Herrick: (calmly) There seems to be a correlation between those flashes, sir, ::casually pointing to the viewscreen:: and what I’m experiencing.

Kastim/V’Airu/Solari: Response

He tapped the panel attached to his chair, and immediately the LCARS interface sprang to life.

Herrick: oO Man, this chair is comfy. I can see how people can spend a whole shift in it. Oo

After taking a second to appreciate the chair, he swiped the panel to reveal a condensed engineering view, where hereviewed the state of the ship. Just in case the ‘Oumuamua was also experiencing side effects.

As data spilled in, he didn’t see anything out of the ordinary. Sensor pod, ODN, bio-neural gel packs, power flows, everything looked nominal.

Herrick: I’m not detecting anything internally; all green signals on my end. If we’re experiencing this here, do you think the away teams are also experiencing it?

Kastim/V’Airu/Solari: Response

---

Ensign Josh Herrick

Engineering Officer