Ensign Herrick: Come back or carry on?

markanthonyparker

Jun 28, 2023, 11:22:45 AM6/28/23
to USS 'Oumuamua – StarBase 118 Star Trek PBEM RPG

(( Bridge, Deck 1, USS 'Oumuamua ))

As the hybrid probe shot into the swirling mass, Herrick stepped out of the chair and towards the dedicated engineering console on the port side. He was struggling with the limited display area that was afforded to him on the chair’s panel with everything that had been happening.

His frustration had been growing, and this time it wasn’t attributed to the mood swinging phenomenon outside the hull. He had tried increasing power to shields, rotating the frequencies, running more internal scans, but he had felt like he was hitting dead ends.

He doubted that that the subspace transceiver could take any more energy without melting the copper-yttrium. At least the ‘Oumuamua was getting data in from the deployed probe.

Katsim: If this is alive…it’s unlike any biological life form I know of.

V'Airu: It's unlike any spaceborne lifeform on record? (beat) If it is biological, then what is most similar to?

Herrick racked his brain trying to think of something similar; the only close approximation that had come up in his memory was the Crystalline Entity that had attacked Melona IV. However, there was no real similarities aside from a creature in space.

Solari: Responses

Katsim: But… (beat) what if this isn’t its body. What if this is some sort of…outer layer, perhaps something more akin to fur, or hair. What if its body is beneath all that deeper in. (beat, then freezing) Deeper in…where the Nichols was headed…

V'Airu: Send them a warning immediately. Use the probe to boost the signal if necessary.

Herrick noticed the connection start to flicker as the probe delved deeper.

Herrick: Commodore, stable audio and visual is out as the signal is fluttering. I’ll try sending a text-based message. I’d recommend we send out a second probe and see if we can create a chain to help with signal degradation.

He looked over his shoulder at the rest of the bridge, pausing for a moment as he thought about what the communique would say.

Herrick: I’ll let them know about the difficulties we’re experiencing up here but… what are we asking them to do? oO Coming back here might just be equally dangerous, 50/50. I don’t envy the command team. Oo

V’Airu/Solari/Katsim: Responses

V'Airu: If this phenomenon wasn't alive, but was -- naturally or otherwise -- mimicking life, would we be able to tell?

Herrick: Perhaps we can try communicating with it?

Solari/Katsim: Responses

V'Airu: (with a slight shake of her head) I want to be as sure as we can.

Solari/Katsim: Responses

Tags! and TBC!

---

Ensign Josh Herrick