LT. Arlill, Ensign Nilsen, Lt. Maxwell, Ensign Herrick. Lt. Promotory, Lt. Johnson, Zarah, Lt. Nijal, Ensign Vomek, Rox, Lt. Cabrillo: JOPA: Some say goodbye, and some say hello… (Part 5)

Erik J

Sep 8, 2023, 9:44:26 AM9/8/23
to USS 'Oumuamua – StarBase 118 Star Trek PBEM RPG

(( “Special Restoration Area” (a.k.a. Bowling Alley) - Deck 7 - USS ‘Oumuamua ))

The engineers had ended up clustering together for a round between them. Josh had thought this was the perfect opportunity to pull a full-on engineering prank. But, with his lack of social grace, he just blurted it out without much finesse.

Herrick: So, I was thinking, what if we all pitched in and pulled a giant prank together. Something that might make us hall of famers.

For the most part, Zarah had actually been, *gasp*, quiet!  She could be that way when necessary, and when she was, it was because she was listening, and listening closely.  What were people saying?  What were people doing?  It was because she was listening that her ears caught on to the word ‘prank’ and she immediately darted over to the man who had spoken it.

Zarah: Did someone just say, ‘prank’?

Nijal:(another wicked grin) I’m sure that they did!

Kovacs: ::walking over:: Sounds like it!

Zarah: Oh, I am totally all in.  Do you have an idea as to who and what?  Or are we starting from scratch?

Josh’s reservations about Eli were best kept to himself at the moment, so he was trying his best to be cordial while he shared the plans with the other members of the group.

Herrick: Well, I think it might be fun to give the ship it’s own ability to pull pranks… at least temporarily. We’d program it to choose a couple harmless ones at random and spring them on other officers. Then, we’d also be genuinely surprised at what happens?

Kovacs: The unknown variable… sounds a bit risky.

Herrick: Ok, we can still have it go to a couple of senior officers but we structure the scenarios. That way we can do some simultaneous serious pranking. For example, maybe we send out TINFOIL party hats to all the senior officers.

Nijal: That seems like it would almost be too useful.

After all, Zi thought the hats looked silly, but that wasn’t the hats’ fault. Hats had never caught on in her family’s particular corner of Cardassia, and she thought all hats looked silly. Once she got past that, she couldn’t deny that the TINFOIL hats were actually pretty useful. But maybe if they riffed on that…

Nijal: What if we did something else with the hats? Filled the mission pod with them, or something?

Zarah tapped her finger against her chin as she pondered the idea, but her eyes gleamed with mischievousness.  Oh she had a person she could suggest, certainly, and that person would make a most spectacular target.

Zarah: Why not go all out?  I think the new FO could use a little welcoming prank, don’t you?

Herrick: (a bit unsure) Commander Etan? Might as well include the Commodore as well then.

Nija: (with a shrug) She has a sense of humor, at least. And it’s probably time. I don’t think anyone has pranked her before.

However, this didn’t seem to be the answer that Ensign Herrick was looking for. Zi tried to wink again, even though she had been serious. But she was as successful as she’d been with Rox earlier, which was to say, not successful at all.

Herrick: (a bit surprised) I was joking, I didn’t actually mean to include the Commodore.

The JOPA bowling went on for a few hours, they were lucky, Charlie shift was on duty and most of them had either ranked out of JOPA or were not yet initiated, so no one was really left out. Toxin really enjoyed the camaraderie he witnessed that evening. It was really heartwarming to see such a cohesive junior offer crew… well and Avander, he wasn’t Junior any more.

Looking around the room, he realized some teams had made their exit earlier, no doubt to continue planning their pranks in private, some people just made their way home the hour was actually pretty late.

Arlill: ::yawning:: Well I don’t know about the rest of you, but I feel like my bridge shift in three hours might require at least four hours of sleep. I’m going to check out.

Promontory: As much as I don’t want to leave my last JOPA meeting, I better call it a night as well. ::to everyone:: See you on the flip side!

Maxwell: G’night.

Max sketched a salute at the departing officer, and uncharacteristically, Lhandon joined in..

As some of the last left and the newest members of JOPA, Maxwell, Nilsen and Elaryn found some common ground with each other. While Elaryn departed soon after. Nilsen had a rather uncharacteristic idea of mischief that he couldn’t help but share; Kei'ran would be proud of him. Nilsen spoke to Maxwell, the marine who had been a source of support for Lhandon when he had the duties of bridge officer thrust upon him, and he’d been there to add just a little bit of bravery to our farmboy.

Nilsen: So ::Looking around:: We’ve got this thing we need to do right?

Picking up a stray bowling ball and replacing it on a rack, Max turned to Nilsen.

Maxwell: We have indeed, and I reckon we get tae it before the others manage their “things”. So what do we have in mind?

Nilsen: You know, do something to Etan’s replicator

Max couldn’t help but snort, an idea already forming.

And it involved pudding.

Maxwell: Replicator pranks are always good.

Nilsen: I have a plan. It’s convoluted, it’s contrived, It’s way too complicated and I think we can pull it off.

Maxwell: Sounds like this could be interesting…..

Nilsen: Meet me at my quarters tomorrow at 18:30 hours. We can talk about plans there and not be overheard.

Maxwell: Eighteen thirty. I’ll be there. Got an armory inspection at thirteen hundred, but I’ll no be late.

Nilsen: Also, completely unrelated, what food do you like? I’ve not made a big meal in ages.

Maxwell: In a word? “Food”. Ne’er happier than when I’m eating, lad.

And the bigger the meal, the better.

A pile of food - and a few beers if available - always made for one happy Max.

LTJG Toxin Arlill

“The Best, Ace, Top, Pick of the Litter” Helm, Communications, & Operations Officer

USS 'Oumuamua NCC-81226

O239910TA

Ensign Lhandon Joseph Nilsen

"The Better Third Movie"  Helm, Communications, & Operations Officer

USS Oumuamua

O240007LN1

2nd Lieutenant Arturo Maxwell

Marine Officer, 4/73 Marines.

USS Oumuamua: NCC-81226.

O239311AM0

Ensign Josh Herrick

Engineering Officer

USS ‘Oumuamua

O240005JH3

Lt Avander Promontory

Intelligence Officer

USS ‘Oumuamua

O239910AP4

Lt. Sasha Johnson & Zarah Johnson

Engineering Officer & Civilian

USS 'Oumuamua

M239008AD0

Lieutenant JG Zimedia Nijal

Engineering Officer

USS 'Oumuamua

V238208LV0

Ensign Simon Vomek & Rox

"Original" H/C/O Officer & Nurse - Crewman 2nd class

USS Oumuamua NCC-81226

T239811VK2

Lieutenant jg TK Cabrillo

Engineering Officer