LTJG Josh Herrick: Watch Where You Step

Mark P

Oct 25, 2023, 8:20:53 AM10/25/23
to sb118-o...@googlegroups.com

(( Unknown Tunnel, Alpha Brenkelvi II ))

The team of explorers had decided to investigate the strange structure; the fact that it had been boarded up, along with strange fossilization and the possibility of a warning message, hadn’t been enough to stop them. Instead, the commander asked them to keep their wits about them and the group pushed into the structure that was ~2400 times older than Josh.

Max had taken the lead, followed by Etan, then Herrick, and Arlill bringing up the rear. It was pitch black for a few moments as they stepped inside, the floor sloping downwards. Then, the VRDs lit up and revealed their surroundings.

Herrick: Looks like Starfleet took a page out of their book. ::looking at the dull grey walls and ceiling:: More grey.

As he continued to look up and around, he noticed that there were several gaps where the plating had buckled or simply fallen away, and exposed intricate carvings. When he looked back to the team, he realized that the tiles had their own geometric pattern.

Herrick: Seems ornamental, but with purpose, perhaps a culture that worships a higher power. A twist on the Egyptians or Mayans of old Earth, perhaps a worshipping-type culture?

He was making the observations for the official log and away team’s consideration but didn’t expect any response. The team continued to move forward. Max, their protector, seemed ready for anything while the rest of the team continued to take scans.

Etan: The energy field is more pronounced here.

Arlill: I’m registering that same difference in pulsating energy signatures between the science and engineering tricorders.

Suddenly, Max knelt down to the floor and grabbed something. As he let it sift through his fingers, Josh realized that it had been dust. In the light, he could see that it didn’t drop straight down but instead drifted towards the entrance.

Maxwell: See that? There's a draught, and it's heading outwards.

Etan: It’s possible its source is subterranean. I’m going to widen the scan. :: he did so and his eyebrows shot up and he came to a sudden halt. :: If I’m reading this right, there’s a vast network of tunnels down here. Scans taper off after a couple of kilometers down, but this seems to be a sprawling complex.

Arlill: Like an underground civilization.

Maxwell: Explains the air flow.

As the team tracked inward, the outlines of their surroundings had started to be slightly more visible outside the beams of lights of the VRDs. Just faint outlines of the surroundings, showing the dramatic size of the tunnel. Josh wondered if the people that lived here before were large in stature, or if this was simply their architectural style.

Etan: We press on. :: beat :: Try not to disturb anything or move anything. We’re here to record and observe, no collecting trinkets to take back to the ship.

Arlill: I guess I’ll have to settle for a holo image replicated souvenir. ::smirking sarcastically::

Maxwell: Copy that, sir.

Herrick: I guess mom and dad can settle for something at the exit’s gift shop.

This mission had been going smoother than the last for Josh, and not only because they weren’t being chased by monsters and Zet look alikes, but because the planet and large tunnel had been spacious.

Salo and him had been working week over week, with very limited success. While she had said that there’d be setbacks and a long road, that was easier to agree to upfront than deal with as time went on. He had been nervous about taking this mission on, but how would that have looked; a new promotion and then refusal of a mission. Thank the gods that they gave him an easier path to walk today.

Josh had thought it was simply his eyes getting used to the dark but as they moved forward, the corridor grew brighter without the aid of their VRDs. Then, a gasp escaped their Bajoran leader and Max instantly sprang into a defensive posture – weapon at the ready, finger on the trigger. Josh stepped sideways to get a better view and was greeted by a skeleton, humanoid in design.

The team seemed to ease up ever so slightly; the thought of an immediate threat had passed but the spooky vibes of their boney friend persisted.

As they began their advance again, a warm glow began to illuminate the corridor. Continuing, the XO let out a gasp as a crouched figure emerged from the darkness. Max instantly took a knee, squeezing the carbine into his shoulder as he took aim. His finger tightened gently on the trigger, before easing off again as the light fully illuminated the figure.

Arlill: Um sir, if this is accurate the skeleton is dating back only 50-60 years. (beat) ::looking up at Etan:: How is it possible since the wood at the door was much older?

Maxwell: ::looking forward:: No trying tae cast doubt upon you sir, but you sure you've read that right, aye?

Josh changed the scanning mode on the medical tricorder he’d brought; shifting it from the surroundings to subject-focused. He pointed it in the direction of the skeleton first, pausing to take in the readings and then of himself.

Herrick: Arlill is right, it is about a half century old. And the good news is that, I don’t seem to be prematurely aging. Perhaps another adventurous explorer?

Etan: Response.

Arlill: It appears this might have been their source of lighting, which leads me to believe it’s possible that they had power sources as well.

Herrick: What’s interesting is that I haven’t seemed to detect another power source; just that low-level energy field. Maybe they’re one and the same?

Maxwell: Any idea ae a direction, sir?

Etan / Arlill: Response.

Max suddenly held a hand up sharply, voicing a soft hiss as he did so. Raising a single finger to his lips, he then tapped at his ear before indicating further into the structure.

Herrick: (whispering) What is it?

Etan / Arlill: Response

He shook his head, lowering his voice as he spoke.

Maxwell: Cannae make it out. But it's almost rhythmic.

Etan / Arlill: Response.

With the facts they had available, and perhaps a bit of the Commander’s passion for archeology, they continued on. The further they walked, the more noticeable the rhythmic noise became, a dull thump thump thump. It sounded mechanical in nature, and while their instruments couldn’t detect what or where it was, it was emanating from the direction they were heading.

Another minute of walking, and the team came upon another large set of double doors. Elegant etchings, this time gilded in a beautiful metallic dust, were shown; it seemed intentional, but the UT had no success in translating it if it was a language.

Etan/Arlill/Maxwell: Response:

Josh took a step forward to get a better look at the carving and heard a faint clicking sound below him. His foot shifted ever so slightly and when he looked downward, he saw that one of the maze like carvings in the stone tile had sunken with his foot in it.

Herrick: Uh... guys?

Etan/Arlill/Maxwell: Response

Herrick: So, do I lift it up or am I stuck here for the rest of eternity?

Etan/Arlill/Maxwell: Response

Josh gingerly lifted his foot, and the depressed plate rose back up with another click. When nothing happened, the tense moment was over, and everyone seemed to sigh a collective breath of relief. But the result had only been delayed. The thumping started to grow louder to an almost deafening volume.

Herrick: ::looking at the door:: Should we get outta here?

TBC

---

Lieutenant JG Josh Herrick

Acting Chief Engineer