Ensign Lhandon Joseph Nilsen - Rain Check On That Talk?

Lhandon Nilsen

Jan 20, 2024, 8:48:45 PMJan 20
to sb118-o...@googlegroups.com
(( Science Lab 1, Deck 9, USS 'Oumuamua ))

He had messed it up; his poor attempt at hiding the name of the Executive Officer (XO) with whom he wanted to repair his relationship had failed. He had unintentionally revealed that the mysterious Metan Miljor was actually Commander Etan Iljor.

Rouiancet had placed her hand on Nilsen’s arm as he recounted his mistakes, how he had disobeyed his best friend, flown recklessly, and invoked the Wrath of Etan.

Nilsen’s relationship with Commander Rouiancet had been almost an exact copy of the relationship he had shared with Commander Etan before Nilsen had "fracked it up."

Rouiancet: And that act of disobedient has been following you?

How right Rouiancet was in that assessment?

Nilsen: It was…I…a race like that was a dream come true for me…but like I always do I…

Rouiancet: (a little heavy) You "fracked it up."

Nilsen: Yeah…that.

Lhandon had looked down; she had said what he was thinking, and most certainly what he had done. He did know this, he didn't want to repeat what had happened with Etan with Rouiancet.

This time…This time will be different

But, he had been looking down. The shame was evident, a side of Lhandon that very few got to see.

Rouiancet: Lhandon. Look at me.

He struggled to look up, but slowly forced himself to do so. He wasn't crying, but his eyes revealed the regret he had felt.

Nilsen: yeah ::weak::

Rouiancet: Look, I'm not V'Airu, and I'm not Etan, but I do know a thing or two. When V'Airu took a chance on you at the helm, she knew your history, and she sat you down there anyway. When 'Oumuamua ships out again, and whether it's V'Airu or Etan or someone else in command, they'll make the same choice.

Nilsen: But someone with my history, it's not a good idea to keep me around

Rouiancet: (with a shake of her head) Sure it is. They make a choice, every time. You might've been reassigned, or transferred. But you're still here.

Nilsen: I…I am…but why haven’t they…I mean I would reassign me, I mean…I ain’t a good person.

His eyes watered and his vision of Rouiancet blurred. He hadn't wanted to cry, not that day.

Rouiancet: Response

Then an immediate, palpable change occurred. A deafening boom reverberated throughout the ship, a powerful, concussive force that suggested the impact had affected multiple decks simultaneously. This wasn't the sort of noise you'd expect to hear absent of any skirmish or conflict - certainly not while peacefully docked at the station. It was the kind of boom that instinctively made every crew member's heart sink, the kind that was synonymous with battle, destruction, and imminent danger.

At the same time, the lights turned as the ship automatically went into red alert

Nilsen: The OC? We can help from there.

Rouiancet: Response

The two left the science lab at a full pace, but one thing hadn't. The cane that he had been using was left leaning against the console.

((Operations Centre, Deck 5, USS 'Oumuamua)

((OOC: Any Ops characters are welcome to join in))

The Operations Centre had been in full damage control mode. The holographic image of the Oumuamua had been shown on the central table in the area known as the pit, and this image was zoomed into the mission pod. The ops officers who hadn't left the ship on shore leave had gathered there, some around the other tables managing power and forcefields as needed. The new standard response for Ops officers and crewman had been to report to the OC. Lhandon had considered going to the bridge, but the OC had the tools he needed.

As a bridge officer, he could also have reported there, but he hadn't been scheduled for bridge duty that day, he should still have been on light duty. But his mind wandered... what if he needed to fly the Oumuamua away quickly?

Nilsen: What happened Tox? How can we help?

Rouiancet/Arlill/Any: Response

Nilsen: Decks A through D have hull breaches, Deck E has heavy damage but forcefields are holding. The Computer says that there were at least two life signs on deck A. Herrick and :beat:: Shevon Sherlock??? But internal sensors are down.

He looked at the deck closer on the hologram and saw the image showed a hull breach on Deck A.

Nilsen: I hope they made it out.

Lhandon was worried, he made no effort to hide it.

Rouiancet/Arlill/Any: Response

Nilsen: The single damage control team we have on board are responding but they’re having trouble getting through.

Rouiancet/Arlill/Any: Response

Tags/TBC

Ensign Lhandon Joseph Nilsen

HCO