Ensign Lhandon Joseph Nilsen - It was something & we ain't out of the woods yet.

Thomas Sanderson

Aug 14, 2023, 1:55:04 PM8/14/23
to USS 'Oumuamua – StarBase 118 Star Trek PBEM RPG

(( Bridge, Deck 1, USS 'Oumuamua ))

Lhandon had just changed the course of the Oumuamua. He turned the ship 180 degrees, continued forward, and then turned back 180 degrees to be on almost the same heading as he had started. V'Ariu appeared curious about this, while Maxwell seemed to share the same idea.

V'Airu: Nilsen, report.

Nilsen: Erm Commodore….it’s a hunch. but I…we’re being followed.

Maxwell: Commodore. I think Mr.... (beat) I think the Ensign is ontae something.

Nilsen: That energy signature has been matching us move for move, I think since we got that distress call. I saw it dart off sensor range and then come back in. I had to be sure. Sorry I should have said.

There was a slight worry in the big man's voice. Lhandon, who was six-foot-four, had the build of a rugby player and was possibly one of the largest members of the crew, but he did not display the confidence to match that build. What was not in doubt, however, was his instincts and his competence.

If one looked at Lhandon from the front of the bridge, they would have seen a big guy with wide eyes darting between his console and the view screen.

Promontory: Say more Max, what do you think is out there?

Maxwell: No idea, sir. It's a signature right enough, but I cannae get a clear enough reading even with the sensors boosted. We'd need tae get closer.

Promontory: Further into the unknown then?

V'Airu: Keep us on course, Nilsen.

Nilsen: Yes Commondore…it’s gone past us. I can bring us behind it. I wonder though

Maxwell: Aye, that should just about be close enough.

Promontory: If we can get those comms boosters on the probe network to full functionality, we may be able to establish clear real-time communication with the Nautilus. Maybe this signal is related?

V'Airu: Perhaps. With luck, we'll be able to ask them directly.

Nilsen: I can’t tell, is that…it or a probe? I can’t get a visual in this nebula I think

Lhandon felt a small sense of confidence come over him. He did not know if it was due to the Commodore returning to the bridge, Promontory allowing him to follow this hunch, Maxwell being on the same wavelength, or the fact that the Oumuamua became the pursuer and not the pursued.

Nilsen: We can use the network to ping the signature. The erm basic protocols haven’t changed. A ping is still a ping. It should erm…ping back and with an ID. That’s, if…it’s one of ours.

Maxwell: Response

Promontory: Then let’s try it!

V'Airu: Agreed. As soon as the network is fully online and we're within range, Nilsen, open up a communications channel. Maxwell, keep an eye on the tactical situation. If anything changes, I want to know.

Nilsen: Aye commodore. ::To maxwell:: erm Maxwell, Lieutenant sir ::Struggling to word the rank while being as respectful as he can:: You will see the ID a few seconds before me. So erm, let me know ::A small nervous laug::

Maxwell: Responses

Promontory: That sounds promising.

Lhandon had not seen nor heard the conversation that V'Airu and Promontory had been having. Quietly, Lhandon looked back at Maxwell and asked a question that everyone was thinking.

Nilsen: What if it’s Borg? Do we erm run or fight?

Maxwell: Response

Maxwell's response gave Lhandon a little more confidence and, for one brief second, may have shown the ensign's potential.

Nilsen: Well then, erm just watch me fly Sir.

For Lhandon, it seemed more appropriate that he would ask this question to Maxwell than to any other officer on the bridge.

The Commodore then spoke a bit louder so that the other officers could hear.

V'Airu: It would have been a difficult first assignment for anyone, with a supporting crew of lower-ranked officers. Yet I trusted you to perform admirably, and you did.

Promontory: Response

Maxwell: Response

Nilsen: And you trusted me on my erm hunch sir, I should have told you be- ::Maxwell’s console beeps with an alert, as Lhandon’s a second later.::

Lhandon turned to acknowledge the alert.

Nilsen: Commodore, we have a connection with that signal. I think It’s them.

V'Airu: Excellent. Open the channel.

V'Airu: =/\= This is the Federation starship 'Oumuamua attempting to establish contact with the NautilusNautilus, do you read? =/\=

((OOC leaving Nautilus comms open for Jay to take))

Nautilus Officer: =/\= Response =/\=

Ossa signaled for Lhandon to mute the channel, and he did so.

Nilsen: So it’s really them? But just one thing. Could this be like a trap? I know we’ve talked about that already, I think.

V'Airu/Promontory/Maxwell: response

Ossa gave Lhandon the nod to unmute, and he did so.

V'Airu: =/\= We are heading toward the center of this phenomenon, Nautilus. If you are located there, we will find you. =/\=

Nautilus Officer: =/\= Response =/\=

V'AiruP/romontory/Maxwell: Responses

Nilsen: Looks’ like I got jumpy over nothing ::nervous laugh::

V'Airu/Promontory/Maxwell: Responses

Lhandon relaxed into his chair and began to talk himself down

Nilsen: They were just following our Starfleet signat…::Lhandon pauses::

But when he did relax, he checked his console and cut himself off mid-sentence .

Nilsen: That signal that was er following us. That wasn’t the Nautilus, The nautilus is further in the nebula, I can lay in a course to meet them. ::Lhandon taps his console again and then looks to Maxwell:: But that…I can’t identify that other signal…the one that was following us, that we are now following erm...unless we get close ::Turning to V’Airu:: What should we do about it?

V'Airu/Promontory/Maxwell: Responses

Tags/TBC

Ensign Lhandon Joseph Nilsen

HCO