Lt. TK Cabrillo, Ensign Lhandon Nilsen, Ensign Josh Herrick, Nurse Rox - Remnant of Chaos Pt. 1

Don K

Sep 28, 2023, 4:13:09 PM9/28/23
to sb118-o...@googlegroups.com
((OOC - This sim was inspired by my trip to Giant's Causeway, Ireland and the following quote by William Thackary))

“When the world was moulded and fashioned out of formless chaos, this must have been the bit over—a remnant of chaos!" - William Thackary

((Deck 7, USS Oumuamua))

Rox had just finished her shift and strolled out of sickbay. There were a number of options before her.   V’Len’s recent acquisitions, samples he’d collected while he and Rox had made their way back to the Oumuamua after their time with Temporal Investigations.  The numerous samples needed individual biomes set up.  Rox knew of a lab that had available space, but it needed some modifications. She would need help.  She decided to head to Seven Forward.

A relished break from the routines of engineering was all that TK was really looking for at the moment. His day had not been any more eventful than the day before but for some reason a seat at the bar in Seven Forward seemed like the best place to burn off this irritated attitude of his. As he sat sipping away on his drink he ignored the background chatter of the happy go lucky patrons on the lounge.

As she entered she scanned the room. There at the bar was just the person she needed.  She strode over confidently and took a seat next to TK Cabrillo.

Rox:  Hey TK.  How have you been?

TK glanced up and over to see Rox standing next to him at the bar. He was not really in the mood for social entertainment and her use of his first name furthered his lack of interest in talking much further with her.

Cabrillo: Well, does TI know the jail bird is in the wind?

Rox:  ::slightly cross:: No, Temporal Investigations did not “lock me up”. And before you even ask I no longer have powers.  So I can’t make you a real little boy.

Rox let out a hearty chuckle and smacked TK on the back.

TK held a straight face and looked back down at his drink.

Cabrillo:  So the Roxet show has been snipped to commercial routine now. Not very entertaining is it?

Rox:  Ouch. Ok. Truce.  ::pausing::  So are there any new ensigns we need to terrorize?

Tk leaned back in his seat and turned to face the woman. He grinned at her every so slightly and folded his arms across his chest.

Cabrillo: What is it you want Rox? I’m sure you didn’t just come down here looking for someone to help you get into more trouble.

Rox:  Well I was going to ask you for some help with a project for the doc, but if some ensigns need a welcome who am I not to help them feel part of the family?

Now TK wasn’t one to ignore help when called on. He did his duty and did it well but terrorizing newly appointed Ensigns was kinda fun and of course his new motto was if you were going to get into trouble, make it quality trouble. Plus the higher ups would probably get suspicious if his name was not brought up every now and again about something mischief going on.

Cabrillo: What kind of project? ::beat:: And yes there are new Ensigns onboard just waiting to get welcomed to the ‘Oumuamua.

Rox:  ::trying to sound enthusiastic::  The project is great.  Dr. Kel and I found a ton of new fungi, fern and conifer species. We need to convert lab 15 into habitats for the various species.  ::smiling:: A little garden oasis if you like.

TK arched his neck at the project idea. Could be interesting but that was extra work outside of his normal duties. He’d probably prefer to sit back and have another drink.

Cabrillo: Got to sell me on that one. Sounds like extra work with little payoff in the long run.

Rox was slightly taken aback she had forgotten that perhaps not everyone was as eager to please the doctor as she was.  They were good friends, but TK hardly knew V’Len.

Rox: So you won’t help?

Cabrillo: No, all I am saying is what’s the real benefit? ::beat:: I’d rather go torment a newbie myself.

Rox thought for a moment.  Torturing a newbie did sound fun, but she was trying to stay in everyone’s good graces. She’d only just managed to return to the Oumuamua and did not know how many shenanigans V’Airu was prepared to tolerate. Picking on unwitting ensigns seemed like something that wouldn’t be tolerated.  She needed something to convince Cabrillo.

Rox: ::slyly::  How about this…you seem like a brave soul.  When V’Len and I were making our way back to the Oumuamua we got stuck on the edge of the galaxy.  The galactic ceiling if you will.

The notion of getting stuck on the edge of the galaxy sparked a little intrigue in TK and an eyebrow raised as he looked more carefully at the woman.

Cabrillo: A what?

Rox: There’s an area there, at the edge that’s (pause) unformed.  It’s like a remnant of chaos from when the galaxy formed.

She shuddered slightly at the thought. She and V’Len had not gotten particularly close.  The space was full of rogue planets, plasma storms and anomalies Rox couldn’t even begin to explain.  It was as if the space was a remnant of the big bang itself. A place where physics as the Federation understood it didn’t exist at all.

Cabrillo: Ok, consider me curious.

Rox: But we can get there.  It’s actually not all that far and ::pausing for drama:: We can take the Foxy Lady.  V’Len won her in a game of Dabo.  It’s super old and duct taped together.  An engineer like you would be in heaven.  It can get us there, it’s been there.

Cabrillo: Foxy Lady? And where have you been hiding this ship? It’s not in the shuttle bay.

Rox: V’Len convinced Corelli to store the ship in the pattern buffer like the Valkyries.  We just need to rematerialize it.

Cabrillo: I see. ::pausing and eyeing Rox for some sort of joke or deception:: Sounds interesting.

Rox held out her hand.

Rox:  You help me get the lab set up and I’ll take you there.  ::thinking how to further sweeten the deal:: You can even tell your buddies in engineering it was a date.

Cabrillo: ::almost laughing:: Ok, I’ll help. If nothing else I want to see this Foxy Lady.

((Main Shuttlebay, Deck 10, USS Oumuamua))

It had not taken too long to set up the new lab.  It now contained 23 new environmental containers that could be seeded with the new samples Dr. Kel had secured.  After completing the task she and TK had agreed to meet in the shuttlebay 8 hours later. She once again had secured a medical kit and some other items for the trip.  Standing in the empty shuttlebay she watched TK come in.

Having completed the lab setup, TK had returned to his quarters and crashed for a few hours before heading down to the shuttlebay to start this, whatever this was that Rox was wanting to do.

Rox:  So all you need to do is rematerialize the Foxy Lady from the transporter system.

Cabrillo: ::grinning:: Well, that’s not hard.

Rox:  Impress me.

TK smiled. It must not take a lot to impress her if activating a transporter is impressive. Or maybe she did not know how to operate one. It was possible that she might not but doubtful given her skill sets he had already seen.

Cabrillo: One Foxy Lady coming up.

Cabrillo began to work the LCARs.  At that moment the doors once again slid open and Ensign Herrick walked in followed closely by Ensign Nilsen who dwarfed Herrick in height. .

Rox:  Hey Nilsen, Herrick.   Can we help you?

Josh looked up and saw Rox, and a smile immediately appeared on the young man’s face. He was still getting acquainted with all the different personnel onboard even though he had been on the ‘Oumuamua for the last several months.

A familiar face was always a welcome sight. He noticed she was not alone, but he didn’t exactly recognize the other man. He was trying to place him… was it the JOPA, …no it was the award ceremony.

Herrick: ::stretching out his hand:: Good to see you again Lieutenant, Ensign Herrick.

Carbrillo: ::extending a hand:: Cabrillo. Nice to meet you Ensign.

Herrick: The chief sent me down here to take a look at a faulty anti-grav lift. Apparently, it failed in the middle of transporting some… contraband. I believe the guilty party is with Commander Etan.

Nilsen: It sounds like it’s been on the brink for a little while.

Josh looked Cabrillo up and down and then at Rox, who didn’t appear to be tending to any injuries but had a med kit hanging at her side. He waved his padd in their direction.

Herrick: What brings you down here?

TK glanced over at Rox. He kept a straight face as if the new arrivals were annoying him. Which really wasn’t far from the truth.

Rox:  ::nervously:: We’re not doing anything.

Josh waved his PADD again; he wasn’t a skilled poker player but Rox's signals were hard to miss. He kept the tone light-hearted.

Herrick: ::raising an eyebrow:: Really?... Odd place to be doing nothing.

Cabrillo: Do you not have an assignment to attend to Ensign?

The question seemed to immediately get dismissed as Rox, one not to obviously give a secret task to blurted out why they were there.

Rox:  O.k. Fine, we’re going on a little expedition to the ceiling of the galaxy.

Herrick: ::looking at Cabrillo:: The ceiling?

Nilsen: ::Also looking at Cabrilllo:: I didn’t do good in science, but the galaxy doesn’t have a ceiling?...does it?

Lhandon had not quite caught up with everything since joining the Oumuamua. TK looked at Rox and let out a long, slow sigh. She couldn’t have kept her mouth shut for just a few moments? Why is she referring to the ceiling?

Cabrillo: ::shaking his head:: Classic two-dimensional thinking. We need to work on that Rox.

At that  moment the Foxy Lady appeared.  Rox rushed over and hugged the ship.  Then turned back to see Cabrillo and Herrick eyeing the ship nervously while Nilsen unable to hide his excitement. Arlill told him about this ship..

Cabrillo: ::unable to hold back:: What a piece of junk!

Rox:  Don’t you call her a piece of junk! ::waving her finger::

—-

Lieutenant jg TK Cabrillo

Engineering Officer

USS Oumuamua