Lt. Aine Sherlock - Told You So

Aine Sherlock

Jan 31, 2024, 1:03:31 AMJan 31
to sb118-o...@googlegroups.com
((Small Temple Off the Beaten Path of the Gratitude Festival, Bajor))

Aine wasn't digging this whole "exploring your pagh" thing. She'd heard of people learning about their strengths or weaknesses, something. But right now, she kinda wanted to squeeze the pagh out of the Vedek. To say she was disappointed with the experience was an understatement. But, she guessed, it was the will of the Prophets.

Sherlock: This is crap. If the Prophets know everything, they know I hate surprises.

Vedek: They do know. The Prophets know all that is.

Herrick: Look, mine (beat) wasn’t fun. I won’t lie and say it wasn’t eye opening, but I could have also done without it. Something about the consequences of my actions and all that.

Promontory: (reassuringly) Sounds like you don’t have to wait too long, if that’s any consolation…

Herrick: ::nodding:: Soon does seem better than elsewhere. ::raising a thumb towards Avander:: He might be 100 before he gets his.

Sherlock: That's just great.

Promontory: (apologetically) I mean, one hundred is still pretty young for an El-Aurian…

El-Aurian? So that's what he was! She'd known one other half El-Aurian. Though that one was also half Vulcan. And very unVulcan-like. More than once Meidra had gotten into trouble. And at least once Aine had been dragged along...to the brig no less.

Vedek: As an old man, I have seen that there are many forks in the road to which I gave myself to the will of the prophets. It has led me to this moment, where I trust that they placed me here to give you guidance.

The Vedeck clasped his hand around Aine's. She felt him place something within them and she looked from her hands up to him with a confused look.

Vedek: Let this be your reminder that not all answers come at once. Once you’ve seen what you’ve needed to, you can come back and present this should you want someone in our order to guide you. Until then, you’ll need to wait. Sooner is sooner than you think. ::giving a knowing smile::

When he let go, she opened her hands and there laid a silver medallion. Her first thought was to wonder if it was real silver and how many slips of latinum she could get for it. But that one quickly passed as she realized this was a token of sorts. It wasn't hers to keep, but symbolized a journey to be had.

Sherlock: Even the Prophets like to torture me.

Herrick: Well, why should they miss out. ::he leaned in and knocked his shoulder into hers playfully:: I hear they’re in good company with Nilsen… What's going on with that anyway?

Promontory: Ensign Nilsen? The eager beaver pilot!?

She looked up at the pair, rolling her eyes and shaking her head.

Sherlock: Don't worry about him. I've got an eye on him at all times.

Vedek: This weary body needs some rest; enjoy the rest of the festival and peldor joy!

Aine looked up at the Vedek and took a deep breath as her hand clasped around the medallion, holding it tightly.

Promontory: Peldor joy!

Sherlock: Thank you ::beat, holding up the medallion:: for this.

Herrick: Thank you Vedek!

As the trio began to leave quietly, Herrick turned back as if he were going to ask the Vedek a question but...

Herrick: What the… he’s… gone?

Promontory: Oh! Was he one of your ghosts? (beat, rubbing ear) Only his hand felt a lot more solid than I would’ve expected for a ghost.

Aine turned towards Herrick and darted a scowl at him. She raised her empty hand, pointing a dagger of a finger at him.

Sherlock: I told you! I told you what I saw and you didn't believe me!

End Scene For Sherlock

Lt. Aine Sherlock
Security Officer
U.S.S. 'Oumuamua