LT. Kammus Corelli - [Act Transition] Orders

1 view

Jay Young

Aug 12, 2022, 4:51:15 PM8/12/22
to sb118-o...@googlegroups.com

Chief Engineer’s Log, addendum:

Repairs to the Eesse’s ship have been completed.  They seem to be in much better shape.  I wish them well on their journey, and I am confident in the engineering staff’s abilities to work with such challenge technology.  The repairs will hold for now.  Whatever they are searching for, I do hope they find it.

Beyond that, this current mission continues.  I have been summoned to the conference room where more details, and more questions await.  Major Greaves has a lot of deciding ahead.  The engineering team will fully support whatever action is necessary, however I for one am not certain of anything.  Fixing ships is one thing, but there seems to be a lack of much needed scientific research to answer some hard questions.  That’s easier than the questions of morality hanging over the whole endeavor.  This whole thing doesn’t sit right with me.

I guess that’s the burden of command.

Kammus walked with his normal gate towards the conference room.  It was clear things ran through his mind.  Never a quiet moment, and sometimes his inner monologue was so loud, it spilled out into reality.  Most of the engineers were used to it.  Chief’s always had their odd behaviors.

((Conference Room, Deck 1, USS 'Oumuamua ))

After a few moments conversing with Peri, and Lia, the grey door slid open revealing the Major.  Concern was definitely readable on his face, he approached and took the head seat.  This was a meeting that had happened a thousand may be times, on a thousand would be starships.   But this time, it was happening here, and Kammus was hoping for answers.

Greaves: Thanks for coming up team.

Kammus nodded, not saying anything.  He was used to meetings, having them on a daily schedule.  He found it best to let the details flow first, and ask questions later.

Rouiancet/Katsim: Responses

Greaves: My goal is to help both the Suculese and the Eesse if we can, but I’m not even sure if we can make that happen. I don’t want to fight the Suculese if we don’t have to. We’re lucky Berglijð has been working with us, but the other Suculese faction is still killing the Eesse.

Rouiancet/Katsim: Response

Corelli: It makes sense.  Perhaps the best answer is to ask how exactly they are using the sap, or if the sap is even important.  It could be some random particle they need, and the sap simply carries it?  Dialogue should be explored, as well as the biologic properties.

Kammus shrugged so softly, he was sure the others didn’t notice.  It wasn’t that he didn’t care, but this was stepping far outside his expertise.  If they wanted to build a machine to replicate the sap, no problem, but as for analyzing biochemistry, Kammus didn’t know the first steps.

Greaves: Agreed. Same concerns here. They’ve both asked, so I want to help but not directly oppose either one. Here’s how I see that going. With the universal translator working better, and Berglijð willing to cooperate, I want our focus to be on synthesizing sap for the Suculese. Even better if we can cure their disease. Peri, I want you to take point on that research.

Katsim: Response

Greaves: Take Doctor Toz and Brodie with you and invite Berglijð to our labs. If we can give them a viable alternative to killing the Eesse maybe their other faction will stand down.

Was it wise to invite the other being to the lab? It was diplomatic, but what if their research was wildly different than simply curing a disease.  That didn’t seem to answer the question of the chronitons.

Katsim: Response

Greaves: In case that doesn’t work, Lia, I want you to take a team over to the Dome and set up a dampening field over the entire ship that’ll reveal the Suculese and their devices. I won’t fight the battle for them, but the least we can do is give the Eesse the chance to defend themselves.

Rouiancet: Response

Greaves: I hope it doesn’t come to that, but just in case Petty Officer Krik and Lieutenant Basilia would be smart to take.

Rouiancet: Response

The Major pointed towards the computer display, to which all heads pointed an eye towards the blank screen. Kammus shifted his eyes back to the Major.

Greaves: By now, you’ve probably all seen the probe data that’s come back from the signal location the Dome is heading to. There’s one incongruency that I can’t get over. The population distribution suggests an agrarian or low-tech society, but the signal itself is advanced. I want to get eyes on to investigate what’s going on down there before the Eesse possibly land amongst a developing civilization.

Corelli: That makes sense, it could be a recent colonization effort while the signal device is far older.  Are we going to take the ship in for a closer look?

Greaves: We’ll need the ‘Oumuamua’s resources close to the Dome, especially if the Suculese become violent. Kammus, we’ll go to emergency warp to beat the Eesse to the planet. Once there I plan to drop you off with a shuttle so the ‘Oumumua can return to its escort position. Once you’re in place and we’re back to the Dome, the other teams can start working on their tasks.

Corelli: Aye, Major, warp 12 will be no problem for at least 12 hours.  That should get you there and back in no time.

Greaves: You’ll probably need Ulasso more than we do for the shuttle. Take Lieutenant Kessler with you as well. See if there’s any indication of where that signal is coming from, or even what is transmitting it. Just… keep the Prime Directive in mind when it comes to the population.

Corelli: Understood.  We’ll try to keep a low profile.

Greaves: If things do come to blows with the Suculese we’ll need a way to defeat their phasic properties. The last encounter with their ship showed that our shields are ineffective.  I’ll hold down the fort on the bridge and see if we can’t address that shortfall.

His eyes moved from person to person before continuing.  The room was silent, and each understood their assignments.  Professional, detailed, delegated, just the right kind of meeting an engineer liked. No micromanagement, just simply get the job done.

Greaves: Any questions?

Rouiancet/Katsim: Response

Corelli: No sir.  Warp speed at your command.

Kammus smiled lightly.

When the last comment had died away and Wes’s eyes scanned from person to person with no more comments he brought his hands down softly on the table’s edge.

Greaves: Well then, lets get to it. Dismissed.

Kammus stood with the others, and exited the room quickly.  A list quickly formed in his mind, and while there were details that needed clarification, immediate needs would have to be met before additional information was gained.  He headed towards the shuttle control office.  It was his way.  Sure, he could have simply tapped his comm badge and asked for a shuttle to be prepped, or even simply submitted an official request via PADD.  But Kammus liked to talk to people, make sure they understood his needs.

 [End Scene for Kammus]

Tags

LT. Kammus Corelli
Chief Engineer - USS 'Oumuamua