LTJG Josh Herrick: Who's There? [Act II End]

Mark P

Dec 7, 2023, 9:52:15 AM12/7/23
to sb118-o...@googlegroups.com

(( Null-Time Sphere, Ancient Outpost - Interior, Alpha Brenkelvi II ))

There, hung in the air, was the image of the vessel Josh called home for the better part of a year. It was hard not to be too affected by seeing signs of scarring and signs of battle, she’d almost become a family member to him — attaching too quickly to a ship was a typical engineer’s problem. His eyes scanned the Oumuamua until they stopped at an unexpected development; the deflector wasn’t its usual ‘Toxin’ blue, but more aquamarine.

Herrick: The deflectors have been activated.

Arlill: Chronitons? ::looking at Herrick.::

Herrick: Perhaps; it looks like they’re using the deflectors, and the bussard collectors since it looks like they're stationary, to scoop something into the ship. Chroniton interaction might explain why the Moo… er… ship’s deflector’s a bit off in colour.

Etan: Why would they be collecting them?

Maxwell: Could be trying tae build up a charge? Perhaps tae give out some kind ae chroniton surge or charge?

Arlill: Is it possible our crewmates are attempting to reach these beings using the chronitons similar to those of these beings?

It was a good supposition from the ACOO; they’d been out of contact for an extended period of time with the ship, who knew what was happening in the stars above.

Arlill: {Are you the same beings that attacked our ship?}

W. Herrick / Being: {We do not understand.}

Arlill: { It looks like our ship was attacked, did your people do that? }

W. Herrick / Being: { We are not of that moon’s existence. }

Interesting, was the first thought that came to Josh’s head. He remembered the moon from the shuttle ride down, and the beings had linked the moon with the attack on the ship. What… or who was responsible?

Arlill: { So there are others? } ::Toxin looked at Etan::

Etan: It’s certainly possible that another species could have evolved on the planet either before or after our friends here did. :: he motioned to the Spirits of the Deceased for effect.:: They might not have discovered this outpost- but prolonged exposure to or being close to- a null-time sphere might have some effects that we don’t yet know.

One ethereal species was enough for Josh’s second away mission, but the gods dealt the cards and tended not to stack the odds against him. He wanted to hear an answer to the burning question at hand.

Etan: Are you aware of any other species that ascended?

Maxwell: Arrivals like you, that is....

W.Maxwell / Being: { The others are not of our nature or compassion. } (beat) { They seek only control of this place, they seek an existence they believe is greater than our own. }

The commander scanned each of the away team with his eyes. The notion of perhaps getting caught in an intra-system war of some sorts was not welcome news to him or anyone else judging by everyone’s facial expression. Arlill seemed to take the news a bit worse than the others, and Etan placed a reassuring hand on the man’s shoulder.

Etan: :: he spoke quietly. :: Sherlock’s in command and she’s not about to let anybody destroy the ship or hurt the crew. Trust me, if there’s anyone you don’t want to cross- it’s her.

Maxwell: Ne'er scrap with a Irish lass if you can help it. ::He smirked.:: A word frae the wise.

Herrick: She’s a proven ship and crew. Can you protect them?

W.Maxwell / Being: { We are limited by the effect of this place. We can see beyond it, but we cannot travel beyond its reach. Its energies sustain us. Without it, we would cease to be. }

Etan: You would pass on. :: he said, quietly. ::

Maxwell: So they are truly tied tae this place now?

Arlill: Response.

Herrick: oO Ascension seemed to have some downsides. Oo If they’re dealing with some unknown foe, I think we need to head back up.

The XO shook his head.

Etan: Believe me, I am just as eager to return to ‘Oumuamua knowing what we know. But there is nothing that we can do for the moment. We are deep inside the planet’s crust and our route to the surface was blocked off. And even if we do find an alternative way out and get back to the shuttle- we won’t be able to return to the ‘Oumuamua during a crisis- the shields will be up. :: he sighed. :: Our best course of action will be focus on our efforts here. This is essentially a First Contact situation.

Maxwell: Cannae drop shields long enough to bring us aboard without risking the ship. ::Max nodded to the XO.:: Either way, sir. We're with you, wherever ::he glanced at the spirits:: or whenever this mission takes us.

Arlill: Response.

W.Maxwell / Being: { We will keep watch over your craft. }

Max nodded his head in thanks.

Herrick: And, perhaps let us know if it gets into another fight?

Observation was passive, and it was obvious the Oumuamua had seen action and she’s made it through herself. With these beings tied to the planet, she could end up in the same situation again.

Arlill: Response

Etan: You said that you do not know who created this place. But you exist outside of time; why not simply look back and find out?

Josh raised an eyebrow, it was a good question — perhaps the figurative elephant in the room.

Obasaan / Being
: { We cannot access it. It is… locked to us. }

Arlill: Response.

Herrick: oO Locked?! Oo

Etan: Locked?

Maxwell: How do you mean, locked? Is it unclear, or completely invisible tae you?

Then a new voice entered a picture; one that seemed rather soothing. Not unlike his dad or mom, perhaps a mixture of two, that reduced some of the edge that he’d been feeling.

Disembodied Voice: Yes…. by me.

[[ Act II end for Herrick ]]

---

Lieutenant JG Josh Herrick