Ensign Lhandon Joseph Nilsen - It Feels Wrong To Have These Memories!

Lhandon Nilsen

Jan 4, 2024, 10:05:50 PMJan 4
to sb118-o...@googlegroups.com
(( Ready Room, Deck 1, USS 'Oumuamua ))

Nilsen had heard stories of some of the coldest and grumpiest captains keeping their crew at an arm's length. V’Airu was not that kind of commanding officer.

V'Airu: (again contemplatively) It does sound to me like you have memories of the ship. But -- perhaps only the ship?

Nilsen: I think that might be the case sir. It’s like I stepped into your home…hence the

Nilsen had gestured to the basket that he had brought, he had talked earlier about how he felt like he had shown up, in a manner of speaking, to what could be considered V’Airu’s house…or more accurately, V’Airu’s bridge.

V'Airu: (the basket) Again, this is very kind of you. (beat) I suppose I mean the feelings of the war. The traumatic experiences. The -- way I became trapped there.

Nilsen: I know sometimes, erm…I wasn’t there physically but, it’s starting to feel…(beat) do you want to talk about it?

V'Airu: (shaking her head) No. I would not place that burden on you, if you haven't been subjected to it. (beat) I hope you have not.

Nilsen was observant, he had noticed the people around him and how they acted. One striking observation was that those who had lived through the war did everything they could to prevent the new generation from experiencing it. He first noticed this with his father, Gault, who was heavily involved in the Dominion War. Although their planet was nowhere near the front lines, it played a significant role in the Federation's food supply. Lhandon's father had only spoken about the events once, and that was it.

Nilsen: I don’t know. This is all new to me. At the moment, it’s just memories of the bridge and the conference room. The parts of your mindscape that I saw. But…

V'Airu: Response (if you want)

Nilsen: I didn't get that memory until yesterday. It's only a memory about a trait of a ship, and even then it confused me, I thought it was about the Oumuamua at first. But its still a memory, and its one that's not mine. It honestly feels wrong to know that about the Crew Dog.

Lhandon really had no idea. He certainly hadn't desired to gain memories from the war.

Humans weren't meant to perform mind jumps, or have their consciousness removed from their bodies. They had no telepathic or empathic abilities at all.

V'Airu: Response

Nilsen: So I thought maybe I could apply some logic to this; I was curious if maybe there was some chance I might have heard something from me grandma and stories of her service and that just got scrambled in as my brain tired to make sense of it all. Maybe you two crossed paths at some point? But I checked her record and she was nowhere near the Crew Dog and I don’t think you two ever crossed paths unless I missed something?

Nilsen handed over a PADD that his grandmother’s service record, Commander Althea Nilsen, DOB: 2316.

V'Airu: Response

Nilsen: She passed about 10 years ago but she was a good person, you would have liked her sir. I’m totally her favourite grandson, she would have loved that I’m a HCO.::Smiles:: (Beat) I’m sorry sir, I didn’t mean to get distracted there, but if there is any overlap, then maybe that could be an explanation.

Nilsen smirked at the line about being the favourite grandson. A tiny bit of cheekiness came through and in that moment, he seemed to relax and let go, for what seemed to be the first time since the end of the last mission.

V'Airu: Response

TAGS/TBC

(OOC: Tony, I've left it open for you to decide if V'Airu did know Lhandon's Grandmother or not))

Ensign Lhandon Joseph Nilsen

HCO

USS Oumuamua

O240007LN1