Ensign Herrick: A New Beginning

markanthonyparker

May 19, 2023, 5:41:23 PM5/19/23
to USS 'Oumuamua – StarBase 118 Star Trek PBEM RPG

(( Transporter Room 1, Deck 7, USS 'Oumuamua ))

Josh felt the air change as he shimmered into existence aboard the USS ‘Oumuamua. The breeze he was enjoying a few moments ago disappeared, and an almost inaudible hum registered in the ensign’s ears. The corner of his mouth smirked upward. He looked around for a moment.

Herrick: oO The Oumuamua… fitting. First interstellar object in this system, and my first real posting. Oo

The officer manning the transporter coughed a bit, shaking Josh out of his thoughts.

Transporter Officer: Commodore V'Airu will meet you in the Arboretum on Deck 2. Welcome to the Oumuamua Ensign.

Herrick: Thanks! ::rubbing the back of his head::

He stepped off the pad and out the transporter room doors. Luckily, the transporter room was located near the end of the hallway, with the turbolift marking the end of the corridor. He stepped in and called out for the Arboretum.

Herrick: oO I wonder why we’re meeting there instead of the ready room. Oo

He was eager to get a glimpse of the bridge, but that would have to wait. As the turbolift doors opened he was nudged by a fellow officer that this was his stop. As he entered the arboretum, he looked around and saw an arm waving towards him by a nearby pond. With the red uniform and distinct Vulcan features, he gathered this was his new commanding officer and walked over to her.

V'Airu: Ensign.

Herrick: ::setting his bag down and then snapping to attention:: Ensign Josh Herrick reporting for duty, Sir.

He noticed that his palms had grown hot; he expected he was going to feel this quite a bit for the next several weeks as it was always a bit nerve racking for him to meet new folks — especially higher-ranking officers.

As she invited him to sit, his shoulders relaxed slightly, and he sat on the other side of the bench.

V'Airu: Welcome to the 'Oumuamua. How was your trip?

Herrick: It was good, thank you. My folks are actually on Earth, so we just finished breakfast before I came up. I was excited to get the news last week that I would be posted here and get a chance to connect with them before starting here.

V'Airu: I see. Where were you before that?

Herrick: A pretty lengthy transport ride from Starbase 118, where I had completed my final cruise before completing my Academy training. I won’t lie, that transport made the Academy accommodations look quite spacious.

Josh paused for a moment, reflecting on if a Vulcan would really be that interested in how he was feeling about his transport and switched gears a bit to be more duty oriented.

Herrick: Nonetheless, the training gave me valuable insight into bridge operations and how effective a crew can become synchronously. Thank you for asking.

V'Airu: Response

Herrick: I specialize in holo-programming and traditional warp theory. My dad is a space-dock engineer, so I suppose that’s where I got the inclination to start my career here.

Reflecting on the more relaxed atmosphere the arboretum offered after catching the scent of some nearby flowers, he decided he would try to get a glimpse into the Commodore past her service record.

Herrick: What prompted you to join the fleet?

V'Airu: Response

Tags! and TBC!

---

Ensign Josh Herrick