Ensign Herrick: Boom Town!

Mark P

Aug 22, 2023, 10:32:38 PM8/22/23
to sb118-o...@googlegroups.com

It was a sight to behold, seeing the quadruped shapeshift into the same form as his companion, a dollar-store looking Zet with wings. It was clear why the miners’ descriptions leant more towards monsters than those of its protectorate — there were more differences than similarities. Josh was momentarily awe struck seeing the changeling — he’d only read about them in History at the Academy.

He was kneeling beside the Doctor, along with Boggarsh and Klinex, whereas the Chief and Richards were in a defensive stance — though they seemed hardened, not filled with shock or fear from the sudden development. Then, the doctor leapt up and launched a rock towards the top of the cavern. When it connected, shill shrieks bounced off the walls and a deafening flapping filled the air.

Alien bats were flurrying down upon them, and Josh noticed the Chief laughing… actually laughing. Was it the nebula, or his unique sense of humor? Then, the doctor shouted over the noise — revealing the purpose of his distraction.

Kel:  Hurry get into the cart!

Corelli: Oh!

Borick/Richards: Response

The group wound its way through the storm of bats and piled themselves into the car. Kel was in the cart first, followed shortly by Corelli, and then Josh. The Esh-o, moving at what most would consider speed walking, were still a few meters behind.

Klinex: ::bats striking the side of his body:: Ack!

Herrick: ::shouting over the growing noise:: Hurry up before the two changelings get us!

Borick/Richards: Response

Josh could make out Boggarsh’s appendage wiping back and forth like a classic automobile, trying to proactively keep the tiny-winged creatures away from him. After a few seemingly long moments, both Esh-o made it to the cart. It seemed like they’d been hit several times, but nothing life threatening. Corelli soon had them on their way.

Boggarsh: We’re lucky it’s mating season and they’re more docile… normally they’d eat the flesh off us. Now they’re just looking for potential suitors.

A screech, which most definitely didn’t sound like a love call, chased the end of his sentence.

Kel:  Are we all here?  Is anyone injured?

Corelli: Probably.  Doctor, you surprised me! Throwing that rock, very heroic.  Anestizine bomb, death by bats... You sure you're not an engineer?

Herrick: Regular MacGyver we got here… ::pausing as he wasn’t sure the cultural reference would land with any of the non-Earthlings:: I’m sure I’ll be black and blue when I look in the mirror later, but good enough to carry on.

Josh looked at their Esh-o friends, who simply gestured that they were ok. As small tunnel lights passed overhead, there were flashes of illumination where the team could see each other. Josh noticed that the most elderly of the group seemed to be doubled over.

Herrick: Klinex, are you okay?

Klinex: (laboured) It will be fine… My age is showing… I usually leave the hard work and this running for the younglings.

Thankfully, this ride was smoother to avoid more battering of their bodies. However, it was a trade off with keeping ahead of their two pursuers, for which it was only a matter of time before they escaped their suitors.

Kel:  We can put one mystery to bed. Those were definitely not Zet.

Corelli: Slowing now, I see the lift.

Herrick: Thank the gods.

It was much harder for each of them to climb out of the cart; their bodies wanting rest after everything they’d been through in the last several hours. Josh would be taking a long mud bath in the holodeck once they’d returned from this month. At last, all six cart occupants made it out and stood in a circle.

Corelli: I'll take suggestions, but I think we should regroup at the York, then set off the charges.  I would rather be on the colony when we cut it loose....

The shield above them shimmered, and a rock landed a few meters away from them. Capitalism drives innovation, but it also drives safety concerns when corners are cut — would UDP membership help improve these conditions, Josh thought.

Boggarsh: That seems like a good idea ::breaking from the group and heading towards the lift controls:: Let’s go.

Kel / Corelli / Richards: Response

Boggarsh used one of the large appendages to call the lift car. After a few moments, the door opened and revealed a smaller lift than the one they had descended in. They climbed in, and Boggarsh triggered the ascent.

Josh, again uncomfortable in the close quarters, noticed that Klinex was looking worse off. He reached out and touched the man’s arm out of concern.

Herrick: You don’t look good. Doc?

Kel / Corelli / Richards: Response

The miner smiled weakly at the Doctor, one of his arms moving out of the way and exposing the emerald stain that soaked through his shirt.

Klinex: Look, I’ve had a good life. You just make sure this plan works.

Boggarsh: (concerned) Can you keep him stable, we’re almost up top. I’m familiar with this area, there is a clinic not far away.

Kel / Corelli / Richards: Response

The pain faded from Klinex’s face and the patch of blood slowed its spread. The lift doors open, the dim alleyway was mixed with elements of green and gold that cast their own light down.

After a minute, they arrived at a set of brightly illuminated doors.

Boggarsh: This is the clinic; I’ll stay with him. You go ahead.

Kel / Corelli / Richards: Response

Boggarsh: ::tapping his left shoulder with his appendage:: May this be the last step in our challenge from Aphris — stay safe\

Klinex: ::looking at Kel:: Thank you. ::tapping his left shoulder with his appendage::

Kel / Corelli / Richards: Response

Josh waved a friendly goodbye, and the troupe resumed their way back to their crashed shuttle in the arboretum. Several hundred people had formed a line, and it was difficult to see what was happening at the front.

Corelli: I'm not waiting in line for nobody or nothing.

Herrick: So much for Frolotdesh getting folks to stay home…

It didn’t matter the race, Josh thought, everyone had their own comfort level in the face of unknown danger. Today, these people’s curiosity might get the best of their personal safety.

Kel / Richards: Response

Kammus moved closer and saw two thin posts stopping waist high with a holographic image floating between them.  He could only assume it was their version of caution.

Corelli: Are they charging people to see the shuttle? How very Ferengi...

Kel: Response

The same Zet that had wanted payment for parking was apparently charging the citizens of this colony to view the downed federation shuttle. When the Zet looked up and caught them in his view, the pleasant money-making air he had dropped and he looked quite stern.

As they pushed their way through the group, it was becoming clear that Starfleet wasn’t going to ‘pay the bill’ and was on a mission to get back their property. Josh had been at the front of the pack, eager to get out of the crowded space. As he neared the front, Sechts face grew even darker and he moved his arm down.

Herrick: No you don’t!

Corelli: -

Kel / Richards: Response

There wasn’t enough time, so he dove forward, connecting with Secht’s long legs and causing the Zet to topple on top of him. The pressure brought the dull pain of the earlier events to a very noticeable level.

Herrick: Oof!

Now that Sechts had picked himself up off the floor, Josh was able to do the same. Josh looked over at the three other officers, realizing he had been caught up in the heat of the moment. He wanted a signal on how he should proceed.

Sechts / Kel / Richards: Response

Corelli: Josh, you wanna make that call? ::holding out his commbadge:: I think I'm about to start a fight.

Josh nodded and grabbed the combadge, tapping hit twice. There was an immense sense of fear when it didn’t immediately go off, and he saw the Chief kick over one of the warning holo-emitters. Then… It happened.

BOOM!

A few seconds later, another explosion which was even stronger than the last. The streets went dark as the power grid went out; just the faint glow of the nebula illuminated their outlines.

Herrick: What’s the plan lieutenants?

Dots of light flickered on and off as the backup power clearly couldn’t handle the strain that was already challenging their power grid on a good day.

Sechts / Corelli / Kel / Richards: Response

Josh stepped inside the York, bringing the panels to life. While they’d been down below, the computer core had continued to process diagnostic data and run what limited tests it could do on its own. It had identified the primary issue before the crash was an imbalance of exhaust plasma flow. But, now that they crashed the shuttle, there were several compounding issues.

He activated the main sensor array, which was the only system that was fully operating, if the computer was telling the truth. He targeted the area of the asteroid they were intent on breaking off.

Herrick: Running the scans now, seeing if what we did was successful.

Corelli / Kel / Richards: Response

---

Ensign Josh Herrick

Engineering Officer