[Act Transition] Maj Wes Greaves – Choose Whom to Save?

blackni...@hotmail.com

Aug 12, 2022, 12:54:32 PM8/12/22
to sb118-o...@googlegroups.com

 ((Ready Room, Deck 1, USS 'Oumuamua ))

Acting Captain’s Log, Supplemental

It’s been several hours since I left the Eesse’s dome ship and I can’t help but wonder if we’re about to do more harm than good in this encounter. When we thought that The Dome was just an interesting mystery, things were simple. Now we know the truth. The Dome is home to two intelligent and technologically advanced species, both of which are in dire straits. Both of which are dying.

The Eesse, ancient travelers of the stars, are slowly being drained of their sap by the Suclese. The Suclese on the other hand add an even more complicating factor to this whole mission. From the best that we have been able to gather through contact teams the last several hours, their species is suffering from some kind of brain disease. The universal translator is doing better than during initial contact, but we’re still struggling with more advanced language being translated. What’s really made things messy however is that both species are requesting our help. Well, sort of. The Suculese have split into two factions. One seems wildly opposed to our intervention while a small group has been working with us to solicit our aid.

Where I’m unsure of how to proceed is what to do with the conflicting agendas at play here. The opposing Suculese faction is in direct odds with the Eesse and Coloom and Ecritier have asked me to lead their people’s guardians in their defense. I’m just not sure I can ethically do that. The Suculese aren’t harvesting the sap for frivolous reasons. It’s vital to their survival and staving off whatever brain disease they have. If I take actions to save the Eesse I’m sure to doom the Suculese.  On the other hand, if we don’t intervene the Eesse are doomed as well. Maybe it would have been better if we’d never beamed over to that ship…

The only good news I can report is repairs to the Eesse ship are complete. It’s more of a patchwork job, but modifications to the Dome’s sails seem to be effective. The Eesse are able to navigate, and their speed has drastically increased. They’ve managed to set a course directly to what they call their Great Light, which is just another mystery in this whole mess. We’re about an hour out from the source of a trollic wave beacon of some kind. Probe data has confirmed the presence the source being on a class M planet that seems suited to the Eesse’s environment. Unfortunately it’s also home to a few million life signs spread across the planet. The way the population density is spread out suggests a bronze age civilization, however the beacon transmitting the Eesse’s signal isn’t consistent with that technology. We won’t know more until we put actual eyes on the planet.

At this point I think the best way forward is to attempt to help both races from a neutral standpoint. We can empower the Eesse to resist the Suculese, but I won’t fight their battle for them. We’ll try to reveal the Suculese for them and stop sap collection. The rest will be up to the Eesse’s shephards. Where I’m placing my real hope is in trying to develop a cure for the Suculese that are willing to work with us. If we can remove their need for the sap… well that just may save both species.

Time will tell. I just hope we don’t doom both to extinction.

End Log

Major Wes Greaves
Executive Officer
Marine Detachment Commander