Ensign Herrick: Risky Business

Mark P

Aug 26, 2023, 1:35:12 PM8/26/23
to sb118-o...@googlegroups.com
((Central Tholus - Esh-o Colony))

Josh was looking at the sensor display in the shuttle, they had been successful in breaking the asteroid apart, however the direction and strength of the blast hadn’t been sufficient to also push the fractured rock away from its parent.

Herrick: We need to get more distance to avoid the potential for... ‘reinfection’.

Kel: Chief, with no shuttle, how are we planning to move this part of the asteroid?

Herrick: oO Options, we need options. Oo

As he stared at the display, three tiny dots appeared on screen heading towards the colony. He tensed up for a moment while the computer tried to work through the interference to register the idents.

Herrick: Uh... sirs, it looks like three vessels are on their way here. We might need to prepare for the worst; they could be hostile.

Corelli: Well, not sure about that. What did you say?

The three dots shifted from white to green, with Starfleet idents paired up beside them. Josh leaned in to get a closer look to confirm what he was seeing; they were from the ‘Oumuamua.

Herrick: It looks like there are three ::leaning in to make sure he read the display correctly:: worker bees from the ship heading our way. ::he looked back, seeing Kammus in the hatchway and just a small part of Kel visible behind him::

Josh’s sentence had been punctuated by a chime from the tricorder on Kammus’ belt. When the Chief Engineer flipped it open, his expression changed to perplexion. His attention seemed to be split between the report and what his own scans were revealing.

Kel: ::surprised:: You reading three what?

Herrick: Err.. .Three worker bees ::looking back down at the console:: confirmed.

Corelli: Three workbees? Like, those little yellow guys they build ships with workbees? Like, single person not really bigger but worse than an escape pod workbees?

Kammus' tricorder whistled its alarm at him again. Narrowing his eyebrows, he shifted his eyes, not moving any more of his body.

Kel: ::looking at Corelli:: Three workbees are not going to move this asteroid on their own. Maybe the colony has mass drivers on its surface to move materials into orbit? Those could act as engines.

Herrick: We’d have to work on getting the power back on first, unless they have something more chemical based.

Josh was startled as the Chief looked back down at the tricorder, almost barking an order at the inanimate object.

Corelli: What do you want?!

After Kammus had silenced the needy tricorder and continued to wear his look of perplexity, all three combadges chirped in unison as the Starfleet vessels reached out to make contact.

Flint / Nijal: =/\= Response =/\=

Perez: =/\= I'm sorry Lieutenant Corelli Sir, I'm here to rescue the York. I hope its ok... Oh you can come too!=/\=

Herrick paused for a moment; lucky coincidences happened at Starfleet to a great degree (almost a statistical anomaly), but they had just left a cavern with shape shifters.

Herrick: (quietly) How do we know it’s them?’

Kel/Corelli: Response

Herrick: (quietly) Well, they could be those shape shifters again. What’s the likelihood that three random worker bees would show up at the time we need help?

Kel / Corelli:
Response

Kammus swung his tricorder out with his arm, moving it away from his head as far as it would reach, and then swung the tricorder back to take a very close look.

Corelli: Am I dumb? ::flipping the tricorder over towards V'Len:: Is this not a super-high discharge federation shield signature?

Flint / Nijal / Perez:
=/\= Response =/\=

Kel / Herrick: Response

Corelli: =/\= You saw a what? =/\=

Perez: =/\= A starfleet NX signature. No other data. =/\=

Herrick: =/\= NX? What is an experimental ship doing out here? The Commodore hadn’t said there were other vessels out here. =/\=

Kel/Corelli/Flint/Nijal/Perez: Response

Corelli: Right, time out. Lets just make sure all our ducks are ducks, as you humans say. We can lift the York with the workbees, but it doesn't help if we can't seal the hatch. We can't move the colony with the workbees, and there is a mysterious Starfleet signal close by that mister Perez decided to ignore. Alright. Thoughts?

Perez: =/\= What if we try to contact that other Starfleet ship? =/\=

Flint / Nijal / Kel: =/\= Response =/\=

Herrick: =/\= I see 2 options myself; the safer choice might be to weld the hatch shut. Given that we’re four down here, we’d have several hours of breathable air. It should be enough to get us back to the ‘Oumuamua barring anything unforeseen and then we could investigate the signal from the safety of the ship. =/\=

Kel/Corelli/Flint/Nijal/Perez:
Response

Herrick: =/\= The riskier option might be to have the worker bees wedge the York in between the small gap that we broke apart, and then fire the York’s thrusters. Essentially strapping a motor to the back of the asteroid. I’m not sure the York’s structure integrity could handle more than a short burst, but it should be enough to send it sailing. Then, we could decide what to do with the signal after the colony is safe from the current threat. =/\=

There was a brief period of silence on the comms as all officers thought about the options that had been discussed, waiting on the Chief to make a final decision on the next best action. The sharp warble of a proximity alarm sounded from Corelli' tricorder once again.

Herrick: =/\= What's your tricorder going on about Chief? =/\=

Corelli/Kel/Flint/Nijal/Perez: Response

 TAGS / TBC

 ---

Ensign Josh Herrick