Ensign Herrick: OASIS

Mark P

Oct 3, 2023, 9:20:23 PM10/3/23
to sb118-o...@googlegroups.com

(( Seven Forward, USS ‘Oumuamua ))

In probably the first casual group setting that Josh had been a part of since joining the Oumuamua, he found it enjoyable and noticed that the topics varied wildly but skirted away from work. Perhaps this was a way to disconnect he thought, since they all lived and breathed Starfleet being aboard the ship. They’d briefly talked about different spirits, dating profiles, academy mishaps, family and now sports.

Nilsen: Listen, I’ve had an idea that I’ve wanted to float for a while, are any of you into rugby. I miss playing and would love to get a team together.

Josh wasn’t too familiar with rugby, though he had caught some passing glances on screens at the academy. He knew enough that there were multiple teams, they did something with a ball, and it seemed similar-esque to football; maybe a tad more aggressive. He just hoped that Nilsen wasn’t too competitive if he was forming a league.

Sherlock: ::looking around, and up, to everyone else around her:: That's an ::beat:: interesting idea.

Maxwell: Count me right in for some ae that, big lad.

Iljor was unfamiliar with the term. Nilsen’s words suggested it was a sport, probably a human one. And from experience, Iljor knew that human sports erred on the violent side most of the time. Still, he had not heard of this particular one.

Etan: Rug….bee? :: he muttered, confused.::

Herrick: ::attempting to clarify:: It’s a Terran sport; where two groups of teams play against each other on a field.

That was the best Josh could offer on his limited understanding, and the Lhandon jumped in to clarify further on where he saw the team playing on the field.

Nilsen: ::To Etan:: you’d be perfect on outside centre. You need to be fast, like really fast. ::To Maxwell:: Max you could join me as the other prop. I don’t mind if I go loose or tight head, or maybe you could even be the hooker. ::To Sherlock:: You could be great on the wings. You gotta be fast too ::to Herrick:: I think you’d be great in fall back, our last line of defence, not for the faint of heart. What ya think?

Maxwell: Prop is fine by me.

It looked like Etan was still working out the mechanics of what rugby was, and Josh wondered if he had the same expression on his face. Some parts he could make correlations on, like wings being on the edges or himself playing back by the goal line. Hookers and props were terms that were unfamiliar to him though.

Herrick: I think the Commander and I will be learning on the fly… so if you take it easy on us, or at least me, I’m in.

Sherlock: ::to Nilsen:: You set it up, and I'll be there.

Nilsen: Response.

Sherlock: My sports were gymnastics and archery. But I'm not afraid to get rough.

Maxwell: Rugby for the most part for me. Music beyond that.

Etan: This… rugby… is it… violent?

Josh held back to see how the others would describe it to the Bajoran, he didn’t want to colour his perceptions too early on.

Nilsen / Sherlock: Response.

Etan: They actually dive on top of one another? Won’t those on the bottom get crushed?!

Maxwell / Nilsen / Sherlock: Response.

Etan shook his head; it seemed like he was on the fence on whether he’d participate or not.

Etan: I’m not sure. Maybe I’ll come along to practise and see what is what. Maybe. :: he added.:: But if I do, you’ll all have to join me for a game of spring ball. :: he smiled. :: There’s very little diving on top of other players, just some good old fashioned thwacking of a ball against the court walls.

Herrick: Now there’s something I’m more familiar with; squash is a very close approximation if I recall correctly.

Etan / Maxwell / Nilsen / Sherlock: Response.

Etan: I haven’t played for a couple of years so my backhand is probably a bit rusty, but there’s always time to start up again.

Herrick: It spring ball 1 on 1, or can it be played in doubles?

Etan / Maxwell / Nilsen / Sherlock: Response.

Herrick: I’m also quite the badminton player, for those that are familiar with it. This could be the start of Oumuamua Athletic Squad for Interdisciplinary Sports or OASIS.

Etan / Maxwell / Nilsen / Sherlock: Response.

Herrick: ::raising his hand a bit:: Okay, yes the acronym needs work and isn’t a catchy term like the moo-moo but it’s a first crack. Perhaps we can practise each sport and rotate regularly — I definitely think it would be fun.

Koryan came around with a tray of various ales and liquids — they hadn’t had a chance to get to know each other yet, but it seemed like the Kazleti man had everyone’s number down. He was handing out what seemed to be the perfect drink choice for each person, and for Josh, he had a traditional autumn favourite.

Herrick: Is that… a Pumpkin Spice Latte? But.. How did you know?

The man just winked and continued to hand out drinks to the rest of the group.

Etan / Maxwell / Nilsen / Sherlock: Response.

---

Ensign Josh Herrick

Engineering Officer

USS ‘Oumuamua