LtCol Wes Greaves - From Another Perspective

Jacob Rittenhouse

Jan 13, 2024, 4:14:58 PMJan 13
to sb118-o...@googlegroups.com

((Deck 3, Marine Det Cdr’s Office, USS ‘Oumuamua))

With the pair of junior Marine officers Wes had initially sought to pick their brains to the current state of the Marine Detachment and the Oumuamua at large. Sitting across from each other in his barren office, their answers had been hesitant, cautious, and  finally a little helpful. It had at least given the lieutenant colonel a starting point to look into things. As if physically marking a change to the conversation, Wes brought his hands down on the edge of the desk with a small thud as if to mark an ending or turning point in the conversation. He used the leverage to lean back more in his chair, taking a even more relaxed posture.

Greaves: Enough work talk. What about you two personally. It’s shore leave, yet I found you both here in the morning on the quarterdeck. Surely you’ve both got hobbies.

Maxwell: I've a few hobbies, aye. Most ae my stuff is still back on one-eighteen the now though.

Ithri’s antennae shifted a little, faced each other, then turned again to point toward the Colonel.

Sh’shelor: You wish to know hobbies?

Wes shrugged before responding.

Greaves: Everyone needs a way to unwind.

Maxwell: No chance ae unwinding the day, sir. I'm waiting on a shuttle coming in.

Wes raised an eyebrow at the open ended and rather vague comment but otherwise let it go. If he’d wanted to elaborate, Maxwell likely would have at the initial mention.

Sh’shelor: And you sir?

He smiled at the mirrored question. Not that he didn’t want to answer, but lieutenant Sh’sheldor’s delivery just seemed so blunt. It was as if she were trying to go through the motions during this impromptu meeting.

Greaves: I like to get on the holodeck from time to time and sail. As in wind and ocean sailing. Something I did growing up that’s stuck with me. Rock climbing too. Other than that, the phaser range is usually a good time.

Maxwell: Never could get the hang ae the roping on a sailboat. Enjoy a bit ae range time though.

Sh’shelor: Agreed, time on the range is good.

It wasn’t just about power, as some people might suspect, but shooting required discipline, accuracy.  There was something about using a firearm, not necessarily to kill, but the rush that came with using it, the knowledge that you could hone a skill, something that could be used to protect others, gave its own satisfaction.

Greaves: Well in that case I’ll make sure we’ve got some range time on the training schedule for us three.

There was a slight pause in his speech as Wes examined the pair before him once again.

Greaves: What else do you two get up to?

Maxwell: Food.

Sh’shelor: Food?

The snappy delivery followed immediately by the confused and questioning look by Sh’shelor broke Wes’s bearing and the man laughed out loud. The laughter died as soon as it began, but his smile remained behind as Wes focused in on Maxwell.

Greaves: Food is a pastime?

Maxwell: Another one ae my hobbies. Always hungry, try anything twice.

Nilsen: That he does, I can’t cook food fast enough, Max here is my willing vict-I mean chief taster ::Laughs::

The new voice caused them all to turn to see Ensign Nilsen leaning heavily against the open door frame, cane loosely in hand. The familiarity and comment confirmed something Wes had guessed at earlier. Maxwell and Nilsen seemed to be friends, or at least acquaintances.

Sh’shelor: That is an interesting pastime. (Pause) I like to shoot.  I like to play ice ball.  I like martial arts. I like to crochet.

The list all seemed right up her alley, until the last line item, which caught Wes by surprise, standing out clearly as different than all of her other hobbies. The juxtaposition and the blunt nature of the woman’s speech caused another snort of laughter.

Greaves: I’ve never played ice ball. Maybe you can show us the ropes some time.

He broke his attention from the Marines to level a friendly gaze toward Nilsen.

Greaves: Sounds like we’ve got a couple of food lovers with Nilsen joining us here. I’ll keep that in mind when I need a break from the replicator. A good cook is worth his wait in latinum, that is if you’re willing to volunteer.

His smile remained inviting to conversation, but his expression was slightly intrigued as to why Nilsen had suddenly appeared in the doorway. He remembered precisely why at the same time Nilsen spoke. Wes had told the man to check in once he’d finished the repairs.

Nilsen: I bet I could, ::Smiles:: You said to come by when it’s all done. Well, it’s all done, any problems let me know sir. I mean there won’t be any problems, it were me who fixed it, but still, let me know.

Maxwell: Response

Sh’shelor: Hm.

The conversation died into a brief silence, which then stretched a few moments too long until it became ever so slightly awkward. To break that Wes motioned for Nilsen to join them.

Greaves: You know, since you’re here… I was just asking the lieutenants here about the ship and the Marine Det. I’d love your feedback too. How’s it been serving on the Oumuamua? Have any suggestions I can look into to make things better?

Nilsen: You know ::pauses for a moment:: yeah, Now I think about it; Ops takes me all the over the ship, one minute I'm here in gator deck, the next I'm crawling around the mission pod fixing some kind of sensor issue. Cos of this, I know a lot of people in every department, I'm even friends with half the marines on this deck, but the rest of the ship, they got no idea who you are. Y'all are never seen outside of this deck. Like I can respect that you guys prefer your privacy, but it would be good to at least work with you every once in a while.

Wes nodded along as the operations officer spoke, mirroring many of the comments Sh’shelor had already made. He made a mental tally reinforcing the idea that had been brought up for a third time now.

Sh’shelor: Yet.

Greaves: Lieutenant Maxwell and Sh’shelor had some similar comments from our perspective, though we hadn’t really talked about how the rest of the ship perceives us Marines.

Maxwell: Response

Nilsen: Like, there are going to be times us gold shirts are going to jumping on board some broken ship, or digging around an old site and things go wrong, now I'm not saying we can't look after ourselves, except for engineering who never look where they’re going :laughs:, but what I'm saying is that if we are going to be working together on the same ship, I'd at least like to know y'all names.

Wes shrugged.

Greaves: I can’t argue with that.

Maxwell: Response

Nilsen: Max, remember the micronebula, the Nautilus, and when you and I organised stuff on the bridge? In that mission, Ops and the Marines were tight. (beat) I’ve had an idea. ::To Greaves:: Sir, when you get some time, pop by the OC. I’ve got something in mind that I need to show you.

A slight smirk curled up the corners of Nilsen’s mouth, and Ithri’s silvery eyebrows shot up in notice. Wes clocked the tone too, and a subconcious shiver ran down his spine. The way he said it reminded him eerily of when V’Len concocted some crazy and inappropriate idea.

Sh’shelor: That is very suspicious.

She put to words what Wes was already thinking, though he didn’t express it as bluntly.

Maxwell: Response

Sh’shelor: I would be interested in hearing your idea.

The antennae echoed that interest by arching again, that time toward the man with the cane.  She had been in a similar situation several years prior, but he was in good spirits it seemed.

Greaves: You can spare us the technical details, but I agree, what’s up? What’s the idea?

Nilsen/Maxwell: Response

Sh’shelor: Is that so?

Nilsen/Maxwell: Response

Greaves: Okay, I’m following so far. What’s the catch?

Maxwell/Nilsen/Sh’shelor: Responses

Wes glanced between the two other Marine officers to gauge their reactions before returning his focus back on Nilsen.

Greaves: You haven’t lost me yet. You’ve obviously put some thought into it, so flip the map around. What’s the biggest counter argument to your idea?

Nilsen: Response

Maxwell/Sh’shelor: Response

Tags/TBC

Lieutenant Colonel Wes Greaves