JP - Commodore V’Airu & Maj Greaves - End of an Era, Part 5

tonyrc...@gmail.com

Jun 24, 2022, 3:51:56 PM6/24/22
to USS 'Oumuamua – StarBase 118 Star Trek PBEM RPG
(( Main Mess Hall, Deck 7, USS ‘Oumuamua ))

The solemn moment he’d just experienced had passed and now Wes smirked as the pair of Commodores addressed each other by title. It had a comical air to the whole thing which brought much needed levity.

Greaves: I do believe we still have a few more in the box here.

Now V’Airu returned to her seat, and Aron glanced out to the gathered officers and found the face he was looking for at once. He grinned at her.

Kells: Katsim Peri, will you come up here, please?

She did so, and quickly, and Aron beamed at her as she reached the stage. He took the pair of ribbons that Wes handed over, and prepared to pin them to Peri’s cluster.

Kells: Peri, I have no doubt that this crew is in good hands with you, and you with them. I know, both because of how I’ve seen you grow as an officer and a person, and because I have the honor of recognizing you with the Gold Lifesaving Ribbon and the Purple Heart.

The Marine pulled the final two personal decorations out of the box and handed them gently to their former CO, smiling at the kind words spoken. It was true. Peri’s growth the last two years was really something impressive. She’d grown into an independent and strong officer.

Greaves: Peri, I don’t think I can add anything to what the Commmodore said. Just know that there are people alive today because of the risks you took to yourself. Take pride in that, and thank you.

As Wes added to what Aron had said, Aron added the two ribbons to the cluster that Peri already possessed.

Kells: Exactly right. Congratulations, Peri.

Greaves: Congratulations.

Katsim: Response

Once Peri had left the stage, Aron looked out at the assembled officers.

Kells: I also want to be sure that we recognize the members of the Thor senior staff not here – Lieutenants Richards and Reid – not because they’re in danger or have been harmed, but because they weren’t able to be here with us today. Both lieutenants have been recognized with Purple Hearts, and Lieutenant Richards additionally earned the Good Conduct Ribbon for his actions on Okaea.

Greaves: Even today the Federation is constantly fighting against criminal organizations and pirates throughout the quadrant. You all are some of the few to have carried that fight into a new quadrant and with the elimination of the Pirate Shok, the region is a little bit safer for your achievements. In addition to the personal decorations we’ve presented here, every member of the Thor and ‘Oumuamua’s crew also has earned the Operation Safe Harbor Service Medal for actions against that pirate threat. Well earned folks.

The room once again erupted into applause, this time louder and longer than had been given to each individual who came before. Wes turned to Commodore Kells amidst the noise and leaned in with a handshake.

Greaves: (Quietly) Sir, anytime you need me, I’m just a call away. I’d serve under you again in a heartbeat.

Kells: Believe me, I’ll keep you in mind. The moment I’m back…

Wearing a grin still, Wes turned back to the crowd as the applause died down.

Greaves: And now, I welcome everyone to stay for a reception. We’re already in the mess… so food and drinks are served!

[End]

JP by:
=========================
Commodore Aron Kells
Former Commanding Officer
USS Thor
V238208LV0
he/him/his (character & player)

&

Commodore Ossa V'Airu
Commanding Officer
USS 'Oumuamua
she/her/hers (this character) & he/him/his (player)

&

Major Wes Greaves
Executive Officer
Marine Detachment Commander