Ensign Josh Herrick: New faces

Mark P

Sep 30, 2023, 6:22:25 PM9/30/23
to sb118-o...@googlegroups.com

((7-Forward, USS ‘Oumuamua))

It had been quite some time since the first officer and newest engineer had chatted, which in Josh’s books was probably a good sign. While Etan was friendly, he was the ship’s first officer and typically charged with the smooth and efficient running of it — and lower deckers typically didn’t interact with first officers unless they were on a mission together, in trouble, or walked directly into at social functions.

As they briefly caught up, and Josh brought up Klaaf, a groan escaped the commander which put him a bit more at ease. At least that was something they shared in common, a dislike for that particular Tellarite.

Etan: I doubt it, Ensign. I don’t think Commander Klaaf will be bothering us anytime soon. I made sure to loop his superior officer into what he was doing. :: beat :: I haven’t really seen you since then. How have you been? I read that you came from the asteroid irradiated? :: he adopted a look of mock concern as he regarded the engineer. :: I’m not suddenly going to sprout a second head, am I?

Herrick: Errr… ::nodding towards Kel:: Not anymore thanks to the Doc there… and Miash and T’Larn. ::quickly adding:: But the Doc and Chief were also in the same boat.

Josh knew the commander already knew this information, but at the same time, he didn’t want the Etan to think that he had a penchant for perpetually getting injured. He had heard Toxin and Tyber had been in significantly worse shape when they came back and had been pleasantly surprised to see them up and about in the room as well.

Herrick: (beat) So, no second heads for you…. Today at least. ::he smiled politely back at the officer::

Etan: Well as long as you are alright, I suppose that is all that matters. :: beat :: Just try to avoid sickbay for the foreseeable future, yes?

As Josh nodded, the Commander’s head turned as he saw a group of folks that he recognized. He nodded over towards them and began his approach over to them, with Josh quickly following suit. As he joined the circle, he took a friendly look at each of them, realizing he only recognized Lhandon.

Maxwell: Evening, commander. I trust you're well?

Josh looked at the man that spoke, it was clear that he’d been involved in something major. The left-side of his face looked scarred and chewed up. But, despite the outward appearance, there was a more jovial personality that carried with his notable accent. He’d never seen marines in action but found the position an interesting contrast to the ship’s security team.

Nilsen: Sir

As he looked at Nilsen now, there was… something familiar about the HCO officer. His brain felt… fuzzy as it was trying to make a connection on why it seemed to know him from before the mission where they barely escaped intact. But, for now, his mind would not yield.

Etan: Yes thank you. :: he replied with a small smile. :: Everyone enjoying themselves?

Sherlock: ::raising her drink:: Quite.

Another accent, a bit different that Maxwell’s but there were some minute similarities. Perhaps the had heralded from the same part of Earth. She looked well put together and had an air of confidence about her while she interacted with Etan — he wondered if they knew each other. When he glanced around, he realized that Etan was the only non-Terran in the group.

Nilsen: It’s a good party, shame to say goodbye to friends.

Herrick: Indeed.::looking between Corelli and Kel across the room:: Some fine officers at that.

He realized that just like he didn’t know them, it was likely the same the other way around.

Herrick: I’m Josh Herrick; one of the newer engineers down on 11. It’s good to meet you all. ::pausing as each member of the group introduced themselves and then continuing on:: So, it looked like you were in deep discussion before we joined you.

Maxwell: Aye, we were just discussing mutual acquaintances and the merits of good alcohol.

Etan: I wouldn’t know anything about the latter. :: he said, smirking at Sherlock. There had been a rather… messy night in Molly Malone’s that involved Irish scotch. ::

Sherlock: ::taking another sip and trying not to make eye contact with anyone:: Which time?

Again, that familiar air, he suspected that Sherlock and Etan definitely knew each other. Space was big, but Starfleet tended to be a small world. It was that colloquialism that had kept Josh’s spirits somewhat up all the friends he had started to forge friendships with now leaving. He’d have to start from scratch with most of them.

Maxwell: V'taer'eth. It's no quite a single malt, but its a damn fine Romulan effort at making one.

Josh took a look at the bottle the Maxwell pointed toward; he wasn’t too versed in Romulan drinks.

Aine raised her chin and eyebrows when Iljor crossed his arms...trying to be all official-like.

Etan: I thought Romulan ale was still illegal?

Sherlock: Well, technically, the law states ::doing finger quotes with her free hand:: Romulan Ale. But like many other species, they have a wide variety of alcoholic beverages. And not all fit the definition of ale.

Nilsen: They don’t like…yeah.

Maxwell: Response.

Etan: I’d hate to have to tell Doctor Kel to brace for hangovers tomorrow. :: he said with another smirk. ::

Sherlock: Please, have you forgotten? I don't do those. ::thumbing herself in the chest:: It's in the blood.

Nilsen: He could claim that he’s off duty, dodge the hangovers cos he’s leaving…or be suffering with one himself.

Maxwell : Response.

From the point Maxwell pointed out the bottle until now, dread had been filling the ensign. Josh had… struggled with liquor as a coping mechanism and ‘treatment plan’ when he had gone through a more challenging time with his mental health. Now he’d recovered to some degree, found declining drinks in a social setting was stressful.

Back at the academy, most of the circles he had tried to hang out with had turned out to be immersed in the party culture. Often tying to force shots upon him and after insistently declining, they tended not to invite him back out in the future. The party culture was alive and well for most officers. So as the commander elected for a different option, it seemed to show that peer pressure was less of an issue onboard.

Etan: Oh, I think I will stick with the spring wine for the time being. :: beat :: So, how are you all settling in?

Sherlock: So far, so good. But I'm a little more used to moving around than others. What about you? How have you been way out here?

Etan: response

Sherlock: Seems like it could be lonely out here.

Nilsen: I won’t lie, I like it. Done with the alpha quadrant. This is more fun.

Herrick: ::laughing:: Well, it does give you a unique sense of unpredictability.

The Alpha Quadrant seemed strife with politicking, not that the UDP didn’t have a similar issue in the Gamma Quadrant, but the players were well known and cold-war esque threats remained suspending in the air for decades or centuries. But out here, especially with the collapse of the first Dominion, felt like frontier exploration.

Etan /Maxwell: response

Sherlock: ::eyeing Etan over her glass before taking a sip:: I should introduce you to my sister. You'll half like her, she's half Orion...

Herrick: (confused) Is there something about Orions and the commander?

His face turned into a shocked expression as the sentence slipped out of his mouth. Perhaps it the casualness of the conversation, but he wasn’t sure he should be asking anything about the senior officer.

Etan /Maxwell: response

Nilsen: Oh erm I got six of ‘em, three sisters, four brothers. Bella’s about to sign up for Starfleet, so erm yeah. That’s them.

Herrick: Big family!

Josh couldn’t imagine living in such a full household; it was just him and Em growing up and that seemed like more than enough. Not that he didn’t appreciate her, it’s just that she was... a bit much when they were growing up.

Etan/Sherlock/Maxwell: response

Nilsen: Yeah, it looks like Bella’s going through engineering. She’ll have a better time at the academy then I did.

There was that itch his brain again. Nilsen… Academy… something was there. He wondered if they shared the same class at some point, but his brain at least registered that they hadn’t. Where did he know Nilsen… a perplex look crossed his face.

Herrick: It couldn’t have been that bad. ::pointing to his rank pip:: I feel this should come with a saying that says… I survived Starfleet Academy. There were a lot of… growth-oriented experiences that I went through. Most great, some n… constructive. ::smiling:: What’s your horror story?

Lhandon/Etan/Maxwell/Nilsen: response

That hadn’t been the response Josh was expecting. He was expecting something like academy pranks, or terrible instructors — Flazmajico stood out in his mind. But, with how Nilsen reacted, it was clear that something deeper had come up and he wanted to move the conversation in a different direction. Josh wasn’t equipped with the social skills to handle this situation but was relieved when another group member took over.

Lhandon/Etan/Maxwell/Nilsen: Response

Herrick: Hmmm… favourite bar snack. There was one place on Earth that I’d used to study at that had these really sticky… stick things that were really sweet. ::looking at Etan:: I think they were Bajoran? I probably gained 15 pounds in one year. ::laughing::

Lhandon/Etan/Maxwell/Nilsen: response

---

Ensign Josh Herrick

Engineering Officer