Lt. Katsim Peri - "Understanding"

1 view

Amanda Nordstrom

Aug 10, 2022, 7:31:25 PM8/10/22
to USS 'Oumuamua

((The Forest, Eesse Dome Ship))

The Suclese.  That was the name of the creatures they had found, that much they had been able to glean from the interactions with them.  They were quite different from themselves, and from the Eesse, part organic, part machine, and they took the sap of the trees which sickened and killed them.  Why?  Peri wanted to know.  Was there something they could do to change their minds?  Could they entice them with a different sap source?

During her conversation, which was somewhat frustrating due to the strange language that the universal translator struggled to make sense of their unusual speech.  Eventually, though, they were able to get something of the conversation, if not everything.  For some reason, they needed the sap, but the translator wasn’t able to convert the reason why into anything understandable.  Peri hoped that by focusing on the lack of what they wanted, it might get them to understand the damage they were doing.

Katsim: These drain the Eesse.  If they are drained, they die.  If they die, there will be no more.

Berglijð: The research must continue, the solution must be found! We require more brsss[sapppss]sss!

Rouiancet/Maëviloïc: Response

Research?  Solution?  Those were easily understandable and pointed at a problem - a problem they had.  What iwas, Peri couldn’t say, but in their effort to solve it, they were causing more for another peoples, the Eesse.  That wasn’t sustainable.

Toz: Destroy the devices to stop the sucking. It’s the only thing left to do. ::turning to face the small group:: It won’t harm the creatures. If they are connected and I’m not sure they are, we can’t wait any longer.

Once again, Peri had to say no, and she shook her head.  That might be a short term solution, but she knew there would be consequences.

Katsim: If we do that, we could start a war.

Kessler was trying to think of a solution, Peri could tell.  His eyes fell toward his foot that had jutted up against one of the roots of the tree, then he paced it, following it to the trunk to which it belonged.

Kessler: Commander, since my tricorder was used to establish part of the damping field can you scan the SAP and break down what they might be using it for? ::looking to Corelli: Kammus, They either don’t care or don’t understand what they are doing. I suggest we give them a demonstration. Can you ::beat:: sour the SAP from this tree to make it appear the tree is dying?

His eyes met hers, and she understood what he meant, but she also knew they didn’t have the capability to do that with the tools they had at that particular moment.  They’d need to take sap back, do some study and experimentation, then likely inject something into the Eesse - and there would still be the possibility that by changing it, it could harm the sentient trees as well.

Kessler: If they don’t care then we need a way to make them think the SAP is no longer good. Taint it or sour it to a point that it is no longer usable.

Katsim: That could be dangerous for the Eesse.  We’d have to be very careful…and we couldn’t do it *here*.

Corelli: There is no way to do that with a tricorder. That would require physical interaction on some chemical level. We still don’t know why they are taking the sap. We don’t know what they are talking about. We don’t know what we don’t know.

Peri nodded in agreement with the engineer.  There were so many variables they had to consider.

Rouiancet/Kessler/Maëviloïc: Response

One of the creatures moved, but this time it wasn’t away but toward.  Peri stood at attention, her eyes focused on the one who had seemed…well, not exactly friendly, but ever so slightly less hostile than the other.  It moved only a little, but it was still closer than before.  Suddenly, it made a sound from the strange horn like appendages.

Berglijð: [gwk]lp.

It was a word, but to her ears it was gobbledygook.  The creature spoke again, and what she could determine was that it was the exact same thing.

Berglijð: [gwk]lp.

Peri didn’t understand. No one understood. The translation hadn’t come through.  She turned to the engineer who responded before she could say a single word.

Corelli: Hear that? Whatever he is trying to say, the UT is having a quite difficult time with it. Everyone be calm, let the computer work.

Katsim: Yes sir.

Wait.  They needed to wait and give the computer an opportunity to try and catch a hold of the natural algorithm that belonged to every language.

Rouiancet/Kessler/Maëviloïc: Response

The creature stood before them, and his wing-like structures extended, and all ten of his eyes settled upon Peri.  There was a pause, a breath, a moment in time where it all stopped, and then started again, ending in another utterance that was finally understandable.

Berglijð: HELP.

Toz: How can we help? Make the replica sap? How?

Katsim: So you heard?  They asked for help…

It wasn’t just her imagination, a desire that these creatures weren’t some evil parasites that were determined to destroy their prey.  No, they were much more than that.

Corelli: Loud and clear commander. I think we are beyond first contact at this point?

Rouiancet/Kessler/Maëviloïc: Response

She heard movement behind her, but Peri didn’t turn to look.  Her own eyes were trained upon the creature before her, and the conversation faded into the background.  She took a step forward, as tentative as the Suclese’s own had been.  Then another.  And another.  Slowly.  Carefully.  As she approached, she extended her hands out to show they were empty.  Step by step, she made her way forward.  Step by step, she crossed the distance.  Step by step, she closed the gap between them.  Then, she stopped.  One hand dropped down, but the other one extended further and it met the appendage to the creature, her palm against its leg. They didn’t quite meet, her hand, its tarsus, but the meaning, she hoped, was clear.

Katsim: Help.  We will help.

[End Scene/Act II for Peri]

--
Lt. Katsim Peri