LTJG Josh Herrick: Cold War

Mark P

Dec 10, 2023, 8:15:39 AM12/10/23
to sb118-o...@googlegroups.com

(( Null-Time Sphere, Ancient Outpost - Interior, Alpha Brenkelvi II ))

Disembodied Voice: Yes…. by me.

Following the melodic voice that Josh couldn’t exactly place, a laugh bounced around the walls of the cavern. Then, only moments later, chroniton-based beings parted ways to allow for a new entrant; they started out as simple golden waves and turned into glowing and almost reptilian bi-ped creature.

Had it not been for the figure’s calming effect, the engineer may have been suspicious. But whether it was the way that the light caught the glint in her scales, or the modern fineness despite the lack of facial detail, she coaxed calm.

Na’Shaala: Greetings.

The commander took a somewhat trepidatious step forward.

Etan: Greetings. :: beat :: I am Commander Etan Iljor, First Officer of the starship ‘Oumuamua, representing the United Federation of Planets. We come in peace. :: he motioned to the others. :: These are members of my crew. Lieutenants Maxwell, Arlill and Herrick. :: he motioned to each one in turn. ::

Arlill: Greetings I’m Arlill.

Maxwell: Greetings, I am Maxwell.

Herrick: Greetings, I am Herrick ::nodding his head in somewhat regal acknowledgement::.

Na’Shaala: My name is Na’Shaala. ::they tilted their head to the side.:: At least… it was? :: they emitted another melodic laugh. :: It has been many millions of years since I last corporealized. :: These were yet younglings in trees. :: they said, looking at the Spirits of the Deceased. :: Look at you now.

Arlill: What does that mean?

Maxwell: I'm gonnae presume she means the Spirits themselves.

Herrick: ::nodding:: A safe assumption (beat) perhaps one in which she had been here long ::looking around:: before these beings existed.

Na’Shaala: I suppose you have many questions for me. :: had her facial expressions been inscrutable, Iljor would have thought she had been smiling.:: But first, I want to learn about you. Where are you from? How did you come to find this place?

Arlill: Where do we begin?

It took a moment for Josh to realize that the team was now speaking all in Federation Standard. The ACOO’s arms could now rest; no longer requiring double duty.

Maxwell: We are from many places, of many peoples and cultures. But we are united in our common quest.

Herrick: ::bridging off Maxwell:: To meet ::looking around:: all of you.

Etan: Response.

Na’Shaala: Response

Arlill: That’s it though, we seek to discover the unknown and meet new people and beings like yourself. (beat) did you create all of this? ::sweeping his arm out across the room::

Maxwell: It's like nothing I've ever seen before. ::Max inclined his head slightly before continuing.:: It's awe-inspiring tae say the least.

Etan: Response.

Na’Shaala: Response

Hearing that it was only one of the first acts of Na’Shaala after ascending put Josh in awe-struck. If that had been the realm of possibility when they first got this power, he wondered what they could do now. Now an odd question had been posed to the officers.

Arlill: I’m not sure what you mean, looking at the others.

Herrick: If I’m getting you right… ::looking from Arlill to Na’Shaala:: I don’t think we came here expecting to ascend with you. Just (beat) get to know you better.

Etan: Response.

Maxwell: Your knowledge of our shared language is impeccable. How did you come to learn it?

Another melodic laugh rang through the chamber; it was clearly Na’Shaala’s now that Josh had heard her voice; but it didn’t seem to emanate directly from her.

Etan / Arlill / Na’Shaala: Response.

Max glanced at the others before continuing.

Maxwell: Do you know more of our languages? ::He paused, making use of his rudimentary Federation Sign.:: [Like this, for an example].

Na’Shaala: Response.

Herrick: Everything?

It sounded a bit incredulous. Arlill and Herrick had placed the UT into the ancient computer not even an hour ago.

Etan / Maxwell / Arlill / Na’Shaala: Response.

Josh looked up at the ship that remained suspended in air. Even if it was just fancy holo-trickery or just a mental projection; he saw that her whole body remained scared with multiple weapons hits. Some sections had been seared right though.

Herrick: So, tell us about the ::struggling to find the right term:: moon people?

Etan / Maxwell / Arlill / Na’Shaala: Response.

Herrick: You’re in the middle of a war?!

Etan / Maxwell / Arlill / Na’Shaala: Response.

---

Lieutenant JG Josh Herrick

Acting Chief Engineer

USS ‘Oumuamua