JP: LT JG Josh Herrick & Ensign Lhandon Joseph Nilsen: Pasts That Haunt (Part 3)

Mark P

Oct 14, 2023, 7:00:56 AM10/14/23
to sb118-o...@googlegroups.com

((Operations Center (OC), Deck 5, USS ‘Oumuamua))

With the OC now up and running over the past few days, the operations department can now rest and settle into their new home. It was already a flurry of activity as it seemed everyone in the ops department was here this week to view the centre and only a small number of people actually had business here. Lhandon had his PADD in hand, as always, and darted between fellow ops officers to make his way to the project tables on the left of the ops centre, right next to where Tobat’s office was. The quartermaster was in but the blinds to the window were closed, and all that read on the PADD affixed to the door was “disturb me at your own risk, working, go away”

At the project table, which was a bit smaller than the main table in the pit, there was a group of unhappy scientists; one of five groups on the ship who all wanted to access the main sensor array at the same time to observe some kind of stellar phenomena that he didn’t understand. He had to hold his tongue as he wanted to say, “why don’t we do one big scan and send you the results” but he knew saying that would incur the wrath of every scientist in the fleet as they would exclaim that he didn’t understand that their research required that specific thing that went in that specific place at that specific time.

As he got to the group, he had to speak a little louder to get over the rumble of conversations that was happening all around.

Nilsen: So, as you know, you’re not the first team that wants the scanner at that time and you won’t be the last.

The science officer wasn’t happy.

The scientists all gave a look that said they would like to speak to the manager.

Nilsen:What I can do for you is get you 7 minutes during the first stage of  the erm…

Science officer: Pulsating Quantum Singularity

The scientists all gave a look that said they would like to speak to the manager.

Nilsen: Yes that. So seven minutes during stage 1, and then a further. ::Interpreted::

Science officer: Well that’s not good enough, we need at least an hour for primary data alone.

Nilsen: I’m sorry but that’s the best I can do. I’ve at least been able to get you some time.

The science officer's entire face contorted like she had just swallowed a bee and was about to regulate it back up when she spoke.

Science officer: Ensign, I would like to speak to your manager.

Lhandon was not to be bossed around in his own home, or as close to a home as the OC can be, and while Sherlock had been on his case, now was a chance for him to have a little fun of his own. He put on his very best customer service smile and said

Nilsen: Of course, ::gesturing to Tobat’s office:: he’s just in there. He’ll be more than happy to speak with you.

It took all of his strength to do that, but worth it, he thought to himself. His anxiety came flooding back as soon as they were out of shot and started to second guess that entire encounter, so much so that he would almost start to look lost, like he was in a different quadrant.

And Tobat’s reaction will probably funny.

With all the commotion of a 1900s New York Stock Exchange broker floor, Josh was able to slip into the OC largely undetected. He’d only been once before to install the replicator and had missed the ‘ribbon cutting’ after covering for the chief… or, rather taking over for the man. It would be hard to fill his large and odd, but humorous, shoes.

The engineer stood back for a few minutes, watching the swarm of scientists all compete for Lhandon’s attention and sensor time, and after a few more minutes he thought he should go save the man before he opted for an escape pod. Josh would be taking another rain check on that tour.

Herrick: Excuse me… Ensign Nilsen. We have an overdue appointment.

It wasn’t a lie as they’d arranged a lunch following their previous brief encounter in OC, but he didn’t think the gaggle of lab coats would appreciate the man ducking out for lunch — especially since that replicator was now installed. As he spoke, Lhandon turned and looked relieved to see him.

Nilsen: ::instant smile:: Yes we do.

Herrick: Aye, we need to get a move on. Is there someone that can… take care of these fine folks? ::looking around the room:

Nilsen: Aye, one sec.

Lhandon gave a sharp whistle across the OC and caught the attention of another ensign. Without saying a word, he gestured to the group he was dealing with and the ensign nodded in acknowledgement.

Nilsen: Right let's go ::quietly:: before I murder someone ::laughs

((Mess Hall, Desk 7, USS Oumuamua))

After what had felt like a day and then some more, Lhandon found his way to the mess hall with Herrick. It was different from the normal meeting place of seven-forward but this was much quieter and Lhandon certainly needed the peace.

They’d seem to have hit what Josh would consider a golden hour in the mess, there were only several officers in the large room which afforded some privacy — which, if their conversation headed to the same territory as before, would be appreciated. They took a seat at Josh’s usual table, tucked away at the back corner and afforded an excellent view of the glowing nacelles when he was sat against the wall.

Nilsen: Fourteen science teams, three days and only one sensor pod between them. Don’t suppose you can magic up another sensor pod, or another ship for me.

He lightly tossed his PADD on the table between them and melted into the chair with stress.

Herrick: Well, ::partly jokingly:: you could put them all in a shuttle and ship them out to do their scans independently, but I’m assuming the sensors aren’t finetuned enough if they are requiring the pod.

Nilsen: Don’t suppose we can then warp out and leave them there ::laughing: Thanks for pulling me out, otherwise I’d have spent my entire break in there.

Herrick: No worries. Would now be a bad time to say I need priority access to the pod too? ::pausing, and then flashing a grin:: just kidding! So, what are you having?

Nilsen: Coffee maybe, brain not working.

Nilsen attempted to get up, but Josh held up his hand.

Herrick: I’ve had a rather easy day today, comparatively speaking, let me get it. I’ll just be a moment.

He walked over to the replicator and ordered a club sandwich, a ham & cheese, a coffee, and several apple juice boxes. He wasn’t sure they’d need all that, but that was the benefit of being able to recycle waste. He picked up the tray with their meals and headed back to the table.

Herrick: Your order sir, and ::holding a juice box in his hands:: compliments of the house.

Nilsen: You remembered ::smiles:: Cheers mate

Nilsen was glad that Herrick remembered the juice box, and was also glad that this friendship seemed to be forming between the two of them. Nilsen appreciated the gesture and made a note to return the favour and pull Herrick out when engineering had its own trading floor moment.

Herrick: So, how was the ribbon cutting? I was caught up in the guts of a shuttle and ended up missing it.

Nilsen: It was kinda boring, I was wishing for everyone to go so I could start work but they didn’t go, then more people came, and they’ve not stopped all week and I now I want them all to go away ::laughs::

Lhandon takes a bite of his toastie and almost doesn’t finish chewing it before his excitement around the shuttle surfaced.

Nilsen: What you doing to the shuttle? I would have loved to have joined ya.

Josh had spent the better part of the last two days working on the Shuttle Maui, it had come limping home after its last outing and was now resting in the Main Shuttlebay on Deck 10.

Nilsen had taken the shuttle along with Arlill on a little mission through the wormhole. They did return it in one piece, in a manner of speaking and some repairs had been made already by the duo, but with all the hubbub around the OC, Josh and a small crew of maintenance engineers had stepped in to free the fellows up.

While Josh’s new role afforded him better clearance to the ship’s mission reports, the details surrounding what exactly happened on this particular one had been murky. While officially it was a survey mission, unofficially the duo understood what the Commodore was explicitly not ordering them to do.

In Josh’s initial analysis, there had been micro fragments of another ship’s hull from where it had torn through one of the thrusters, the warp engines had been pushed overly hot and fast, and it appeared that the deflector must have faltered momentarily as there was microscopic debris on the bow.

The hull fragments belonged to some force within the UDP, but given how much tech sharing the group had facilitated, it would be difficult to determine which exact race was responsible. Everything that was damaged was repairable with enough time, but it did leave more questions in Josh’s mind.

Herrick: We’re just getting the Maui ship shape. Oo Or is it called shuttle shape? Oo

Nilsen: Ah yeah, The Maui. Erm ::laughs:: that was me.

Herrick: Yeah, I saw your name show up… what exactly happened?

Nilsen: We went for a little survey trip and erm might have got shot at.

Nilsen noticed something, he was relaxing around the engineer, the conversation was coming easy to him, maybe part because they both shared a negative experience early in their careers, one that if not kept in check, threatened to define them both.

It was clear from the engineer's face that he was expecting more than a few words but it was clear that he’d need to try and suss it out more of the younger officer.

Herrick: And… it was successful? You seem to have survived at least. ::raising his eyebrows while looking the man up and down::

Lhandon smiled and laughed a little at that line. Yeah, he survived…again!

Nilsen: It was…a mission, but we done some good,  I think. Lots of survey data; hopefully got the upper hand on something. But what about you, I never got to say this, morning Chief.

Josh yielded at this point, the ensign was good at keeping secrets, so he decided to go with the topic change. Meanwhile the ensign was enjoying the company, and he was happy for Herrick and his promotion. Perhaps Lhandon saw himself reflected  in the new lieutenant, the same kind of work ethic, not afraid to burn the midnight oil, just a different background, one of farming and petty crime at 16 for Lhandon and one filled with books and holonovels for Josh.

Herrick: Thanks! ::reflecting on the growing number of PADDs that were piling up on his desk and rubbing the back of his head:: a bit trial by fire, but the team is great so I’m sure I’ll find my rhythm soon. How is it with your boss now being your roommate?

Nilsen: I don’t think it's fully set in, I had an idea he’d be getting it. The signs were there and he sort just naturally took charge and we trust him, we do love him in the OC. But yeah, I hope it don't change anything, we’re tight you know.

Herrick: But it’s good that you were able to build a relationship so quickly; it’ll probably make life easier. Will he be moving up to Deck 4?

Josh had received the invitation from the logistics team shortly after receiving his new assignment. The note had stressed that since it was an “acting” position, should another CEO come in, he’d be kicked back down to Deck 8. The switch was optional, but this was where other senior officers were housed and a good opportunity to rub shoulders. So, he accepted.

Nilsen: Maybe, though I think he’s comfortable where he is. I wouldn’t want him to go, he was the first person I met when I arrived but also, like I’d get it if he did move. Am I making any sense?

Herrick: Yes, there are benefits either way but proximity helps keep the bonds of friendship alive. Then again, you’ll prolly bump into each other just as frequently in the OC.

Nilsen: We might be holding a party, we’ve just a bunch of promotions and new chiefs step up, it’s kinda like the next generation for the Oumuamua.

Lhandon had been thinking about the ones who had come before him, the Oumuamua is a fine ship and Brodie’s comments from the OC where he said “If he’s on the ‘Oumuamua then I can tell you he’s a fine officer.” were still ringing in his ears. He was trying his best to remember the positive words said about him, it was a task Salo asked him to do, write them down, look at them.

But it has come with a new problem. The discussion in the OC with Arlill, Brodie and Sherlock got him thinking about the people who had just left, Dr Kel, Kammus Corelli to name but two, they were doing great things and they weren’t even half way through by the time they left. Then he heard about Greeves and the legends that follow the former first officer around.

Could he match them? How does he follow their act? Does he want to? All those questions found purchase in his brain and clawed at him like an annoyed cat..

Herrick: A party?

Nilsen: Yeah, sort of celebrate the new chiefs, as guests of honour ::nodding to Herrick:: and I can cook for the whole thing.

This sounded like a party he could handle, he hated standing out at any public function but it sounded like he wouldn’t be the ‘sole main attraction.’

Herrick: ::smiling::  So I’ll get to try some of that famous Nilsen cooking I’ve heard about then?

Nilsen: ::smiling:: I wouldn’t say famous ::slight laugh: but I never need an excuse to feed people.

Finishing off his lunch, Josh elected to grab a second juice box. As he reached his arm across the table, it accidentally brushed against the PADD Lhandon had set on the table when he sat down.

Nilsen hadn’t noticed that the display flashed to life, and blazed across the screen was the headline Throwback Thursday: Shuttle Scandal Shakes Starfleet! - Golden Boy Gone Rogue?. It was hard to say that the Galactic Gossip was a reputable news institution - but it was interesting that Lhandon had that article on his PADD.

Josh looked up, a bit awkwardly at Lhandon, sipping on his juice box until it made that rattling sound with the last few drops. Was it confirmed, or just a coincidence?

The display then faded away and Lhandon attention returned to Herrick.

Nilsen: You alright?

---

Lieutenant JG Josh Herrick

Acting Chief Engineer