Ensign Herrick: More Greys

Mark P

Jul 14, 2023, 8:03:21 PM7/14/23
to sb118-o...@googlegroups.com

((Bridge, Deck 1, USS Oumuamua))

After the Doctor had injected the most promising attempt at a solution in the young engineer’s neck, Josh’s knees buckled slightly. It wasn’t an adverse reaction per se, just his body acclimating to the change in the biochemistry.

Kel: Feeling ok?

Josh nodded, though he felt a tad flu-like. He chalked it up to being similar to some of the more ‘unique’ vaccinations he’d gotten through Starfleet to prepare him for his assignment here in the Gamma Quadrant.

Herrick: Nothing too concerning, doctor.

Kel: The sickbay staff mentioned some nausea and cramping, lightheadedness.  Are you experiencing anything outside that?

Herrick: Check, check and check, but nothing outside that… thankfully.

The Doctor proceeded to make rounds across the bridge, dosing the crew, and then stopping at Katsim.

Kel:  When is the next mood shift due?  ::gesturing to Katsim::  Your turn.

Before the hypo touched the skin, everyone’s head turned towards the sound of the Commodore’s ready room doors swishing open, and V’Airu stepping onto the bridge.

Herrick: oO That was rather quick, given what happened; but then again, I’m an engineer not a doctor. Oo

Kel: Feeling better Commodore?

V'Airu: Much, thank you. (beat) I made some discoveries about the nature of the nebula, though I don't yet fully understand how. It isn't an organism at all, or at least it isn't life as we've ever encountered it before. I believe it is a natural -- very strange, but natural -- phenomenon that is somehow reflecting our emotions back at us.

Katsim: A…reflection?

Kel: ::looking at V'Airu:: Say that last part again.

V'Airu: I don't understand the causative mechanism, but I began to think of the phenomenon as a kind of (beat) mirror, for lack of a better term. It's causing us to feel the emotions of other officers rather than our own. (another beat) Sometimes debilitatingly.

Katsim: Like when it hit you…

Herrick: (a bit flatly) Almost like we’re our own mini generators… interesting.

It took a few moments for Herrick to register what was different; there were no highs or lows when it came to his emotional state. He was simply… existing, but he would take this over the waves he’d been precariously surfing up until now.

V'Airu: I understand we have a way to block the reflected emotions?

Kel: We've got a neural suppressor cocktail that we're using to help stabilize the crew. I can give you a dose, but I can tell you I feel pretty bored right now. Anyone got anything to eat?

V'Airu: I wouldn't say no to adjourning for a break, if everything here is under control. I can stand watch, and dismiss you all, since you've been on duty for some time now. (beat) Before you go, though, please signal the shuttle teams to return when they're able. They ought to be inoculated as well.

Katsim: I…

Josh registered in his mind all the cues that told him that this situation was likely socially awkward; the peek-a-boo commodore, the science officer that had quickly gotten the hang of the ropes now shifted back out, and the doctor in the middle. Normally, the more introverted just would have shrank into the bulkhead, but he was just taking it in. He watched as the doctor returned the hypo to the med kit.

Kel: If you'd both prefer you may hold off on the cocktail treatment for now. Anymore mood swings and I expect to be notified.

Herrick looked down at his console; there hadn’t yet been a successful reply from the shuttles but they were both enroute to the shuttle and would be able to provide an update either when they cleared the interference or once on board.

V'Airu: Very good. Thank you, all of you. I would have stayed, to the detriment of ship and crew, if I hadn't trusted you. We are all better because of your dedication and service. (beat) Dismissed.

Kel: I'll head to sickbay and get an update on the situation ship wide.

As Herrick was handing off a few items to an officer that was relieving him, he saw an alert appear on the screen. Sasha was asking for anyone with an engineering background to head down and lean in. It seemed they were significantly short handed; so, per orders, his break would need to wait.

Herrick: ::looking between Peri and V’Airu:: I’ll be down in Engineering, lending them a hand. Thank you for the opportunity to support on the bridge, sirs.

He nodded to each of them and turned to the turbolift. Kel had only stepped in moments before, but as the doors reopened an empty turbolift greeted him and he stepped inside — wondering what next ‘adventure’ awaited.

[End Scene for Herrick]

---

Ensign Josh Herrick

Engineering Officer