Lt JG Yael - Monsters Under the Bed, & Cultists in the Closet

kaycieekeith

Oct 21, 2021, 8:49:31 PM10/21/21
to StarBase 118 Ops a Star Trek PBEM RPG

((USS Rahuba - Small Conference Room))

The Denobulan had quickly prepped to travel away, gathering his computer,  making sure he had his best uniform on, and replacing his braces with a fresh pair.  He left a quick recorded message for Ithri, which she would get when she was out of training for the day, detailing that he would be away for a while, and he specified that she should take care of herself in his absence.  He was getting a little… *invested*... okay, a lot invested, and he wanted her to be gentle with herself since he knew it wasn’t really in her nature to take it easy.  Message sent, he tugged at each brace at his wrist as he stepped out the door, and he was totally focused on their orders.

Well… mostly focused.

His concern for Wyn was a consistent rip-tide beneath his more heavy concern for handling Terra Prime.

Good gracious, these Andorians would be the death of him for worry.

Focus, Denobu-dude.  Your handsome sort-of boyfriend would be safely tucked away on the starbase, and Ithri was more than capable of taking care of herself.  So FOCUS.

But then, Rue would be accompanying the team on the mission, so she *wouldn’t* be tucked away safely…

Good grief.

He sighed lightly as he walked, shaking his head lightly with a half smile.  He wasn’t *used* to stressing about others in this way.  But he did manage to focus himself somehow, and center his thoughts on the upcoming task.  Boarding the Cheyenne class starship, Ashley found his way to the small conference room where he would meet his team.  They had to figure out their game plan for this attempt at diplomacy.

He entered the room and found Bailey had beat him to it.  He nodded politely as he replicated a hot mug of hibiscus tea and took a seat next to her at the circular table.

Yael:  A diplomatic mission.  ::beat::  I’m starting to feel like it’s my specialty.  Aside the psychology, of course.

Bailey:  ?

Yael:  How are you feeling?  I haven’t seen you since the business with the Orb of Perspective and the pirates.

Bailey:  ?

He listened intently, but his attention turned to the door as their First Officer… so far as he still knew… entered.  Alora was all business as she took in her small but potent team of diplomats.

DeVeau: Right.

His Human friend paused, taking in the window view in thought for a moment.

DeVeau: Terra Prime.  What do we know?

Alora knew the history, but one of the things about brainstorming was to say things out loud.  A computer whiz she knew had called it ‘ducking’.  Mainly because he used a rubber duck.  When faced with a problem he was struggling with on a computer program, he’d talk to the duck, starting off with everything he knew, follow it up with the problem, then try to reconcile and figure out how to solve it.  For them, it might not go *quite* that straight forward, but they needed to get everything out on the table.

Yael:  An old-school collective of xenophobic racists.  Human racists who believe Human bloodlines should be kept free of… impurities.  That Humanity is inherently better than other sentient species, and that it should be preserved.  They were pretty hardcore back in their youth, when the Federation was in its infancy.  Took over an entire array and threatened to blow up Starfleet Headquarters with it.  They were put down, the leadership at the time arrested.  They’ve emerged a few times, here and there, but not with any genuine potency that couldn’t be tempered down.  They became the butt of jokes as their goal became more and more outlandish, as Humanity freely intermixed with the inter-spacial community.

Ashley looked to Bailey to see what she might add.  He was pretty well versed in the Terra Prime mythos.  His father had enjoyed using them to scare him, as a child.  Where other kids looked for monsters under their bed, Ashley worried about cultists in the closet.  It had taken some serious reading to dispel his youthful fear of angry zealots.

A good demonstration why he didn’t really associate with the man anymore… among other reasons.

Bailey: ?

DeVeau: Ash, you said it had been some time since they’d been heard from.  When was the last time?

Yael:  The last I know of, it was about a decade ago.  Though I don’t recall the details.  ::pausing::  They’ve been a relatively small threat, to my knowledge.  Fragmented by infighting, lacking a genuine target since Earth and Human society have accepted other species with open arms.  This would be the “common knowledge” of their activity.

Bailey: ?

DeVeau: So if they haven’t been really active in years save for a few tiny issues here and there, why the sudden resurgence?  Have they been recruiting?  Saving up for a power move, hence the base of operations on Miranda VII?  Why there?  Why now?  Utopia isn’t a huge colony.  If they’re the reason for the poisoning of the atmosphere, and while we’re not 100% sure, I’d stake all my plants on the idea that they *are*, what would they stand to gain by attacking them?

Yael:  Utopia colony was optimistically named due to it being a haven for all… especially known to host hybrids of all sorts.  They refuse no one.  Welcome all.  It’s peaceful and diverse, like a Little Earth.  ::pausing::  If Terra Prime orchestrated a planet-wide emergency at Utopia colony by deliberately poisoning the atmosphere, and have targeted multiple vessels sent to aid the colony… I’d wager they’ve become better organized.  Despite the colony being relatively small, that’s still a *big* attack, and it took planning, resources… and vessels to attack the aid ships that came after.

He droned off, realizing he was babbling a bit.  He didn’t want to sound like a know-it-all… but a Human hybrid *would* know *some* things about such a group.  So should most Humans, and by some measure, those who knew Federation history.

Bailey: ?

DeVeau: Historically, they were mainly concerned with keeping Earth pure and getting everyone else out of the solar system.  So why leave that solar system?  What do they hope to accomplish?

More questions.  Still no answers. Looking over at her two friends and fellow officers, Alora sighed.

DeVeau: We’re going to have to tread very carefully, whether they are Terra Prime or not.

Yael:  I’m still hoping it’s a copy-cat.  It’s been known to happen… a group looking to establish themselves pulls a stunt in the name of said group.  Gets notoriety.  Splinters off after rebranding themselves.  ::beat::  Terra Prime just hasn’t been a serious thing for so long, it’s hard to believe it’s really them.

Or at the very least, he hoped it wasn’t them.  Copycats were rarely as dangerous as the organization they attempted to emulate.

Bailey: ?

Yael:  If we assume it *is* Terra Prime, what sort of chance do we have at actual diplomacy?  They’re not known for being the most rational of people.  ::he hesitated, taking a deep breath::  And… would my presence be aggravating to the process?

He didn’t want to question Commodore Taybrim’s wisdom assigning him to the diplomatic effort, as it *was* something he was experienced with.

DeVeau:  ?

Bailey:  ?

Yael:  There’s the chance being faced with a friendly hybrid could dispel some of their own unchallenged beliefs.

DeVeau:  ?

Bailey:  ?

Yael:  Perhaps, for the sake of succeeding in our diplomatic efforts… we could simply insinuate that I’m fully Denobulan.  I do look the part… the ridges are a dominant trait.

And purple hair and eyes weren’t natural Human traits at all.

DeVeau:  ?

Bailey:  ?

~*~

Lieutenant JG Ashley Yael