Lieutenant Tito: Not with a bang.

Bruno Abreu

May 30, 2023, 6:44:52 PM5/30/23
to StarBase 118 Ops a Star Trek PBEM RPG
((USS Narendra, Saucer section, Battle Bridge))

After dealing with the remaining fighters Tito
quickly turned its attention to the Farussi.
It was attempting to escape into the cloud, and he had suggested using the tractor beam to catch it, or at least slow it down.

Tito frowned and shouted.

Tito: Dammit, I can’t catch them. The Farussi is too far away.

Taybrim: Hail them.

Tito raised his head and nodded to Ensign Nayavi, signalling her to open the comline

Nayavi: ?

Taybrim: =/\= Farussi, this is Commodore Taybrim of the USS Narendra.  You are venting plasma and if you retreat into the Jenatris Cloud you will start a chain reaction that will destroy your ship. =/\=

There was a pause and Naystrim’s hot voice came through.

Naystrim: =/\= Lies.  You just want to earn an easy win. =/\=

Tito stood quietly as he kept the Farussi on target.

Nayavi: ?

As if to prove a point, the failing Drussi fighter was now drifting into the Jenatris cloud. Caught in an ion storm that began to brew it didn’t took long until the fighter was no more, exploding as the storm grew.

Taybrim: =/\= Not lies, you just saw for yourself what happens when that level of uncontained energy enters the cloud.=/\=

There was no reply and the Farussi kept its course, but it had slowed.

Naystrim: =/\=I will not surrender to you.=/\=

Tito raised an eyebrow. Regrettably Aristren wasn’t with them. She might pull off a negotiated surrender.

Tito: It’s a lost cause.

Nayavi: ?

Taybrim: =/\= If you continue on your course you and everyone on your ship will die. =/\=

The Commodore held a hand up for the helm to stop.

Naystrim: =/\= We will survive. =/\=

Tito shook his head and looked at Nayavi, speaking in the same low tone as before, not to disturb the Commodore’s communication.

Tito: What a waste of lives.

Nayavi: ?

Taybrim: =/\= Then go. =/\=

Tito said nothing, as he raised his eyes from his console.

Nayavi: ?

There were a few long minutes of silence until from the other side of the line another voice spoke.

Farussi: =/\= Venetta, I’m sorry… =/\=

Tito arched his eyebrows at the sound of disruptor fire from the other ship, followed by something or someone dropping. The next second the Farussi powered down.

Farussi: =/\= Narendra, this is Farussi.  We surrender. =/\=

Tito closed his eyes. Apparently there was a change of “management”. Not everyone was so willing to risk their lives after all.

Taybrim: =/\= Your surrender is accepted, Farussi.  We will tow you out of danger, prepare to be boarded. =/\=

Tito tapped in the commands, activating the tractor beam as soon as they came in range.

Tito: We have them, signalling a security detachment to board the Farussi

Nayavi: ?

Tito glanced at the Commodore, who had sat down at the center seat, as the adrenaline of the battle began to slowly dissipate. He closed his eyes and rubbed them with his fingers, before turning to Nayavi.

Tito: Good work Ensign.

Nayavi: ?

He looked to the viewscreen, now showing the Farussi undertow of their tractor beam as they slowly retreated from the Jenatris Cloud.

Tito: I think it’s over.

Nayavi: ?

He turned and smiled at her. That was one way of putting it. Again he looked at the view screen. One more battle was fought. He wasn’t naive enough to believe it was his last, but the next battle he wished for was of another kind.

His eyes trailed to the Jenatris Cloud itself, quite the phenomenon as he had experienced before and now. And his fascination with astrophysics took over from the fatigue he was starting to feel, as he gave a sensor sweep of the Cloud before they were out of reach.

End scene for Tito

Lt. Vitor R.S.Tito
Intelligence Officer
Starbase 118