Lt JG Sera - Confidently Unsure

Hope Forster

Nov 17, 2022, 12:10:07 AM11/17/22
to sb11...@googlegroups.com

((Now onto a random Engineering Lab, USS Narendra))

Sherlock: Yeah. It's like Old Graves used to tell me, "Never volunteer for something until you know all the details."

Sera most assuredly did NOT stumble slightly as she halted suddenly at the Lieutenant’s utterance.

Sera: Master Chief Malcom Graves, unarmed combat instructor at the academy?

Sherlock: Yeah, him. You know him?

Sera shifted the weight of the box in an outward manifestation of uncertainty.  This was a slightly unexpected turn in conversation.

Sera:  ::if you listen close enough you might hear the hesitation:: Yes.  We are acquainted.

Sherlock: Me too. ::letting out a little laugh:: I got some stories for you. But that will have to wait until later. ::gesturing down the corridor:: Shall we get on with...work?

Sera:  Your pause indicates…what exactly?  Have you reconsidered our arrangement?

Sherlock:  response

Sera:  Very well then, Lieutenant.

They reached the turbolift and the doors hissed open, and they stepped inside.  Sera called out the deck number to the computer and the lift started to move.  Sera stared at the closed doors in front of her and right before the lift halted, she looked down to the security officer out of corner of her eye.

Sera:  I seek clarification on one of your previous comments.  “Vulcans and Romulans are more alike than either care to admit.”  As I am relatively certain your comment is not regarding the biological similarities, what exactly were you referring to, Lieutenant Sherlock?

The doors hissed open, and Sera stepped out and walked with purpose to one of the engineering workspaces, which she had reserved while obtaining the work order for the phasers.

Sherlock:  response

Sera:  I ask because I find myself…curious as to your motives for making such a statement.  To a Vulcan such a comment might be seen as an attempt at insult.

Sherlock:  response

Sera raised a brow but said nothing in response to Sherlock’s explanation.  Oh, it wasn’t because she held no opinion herself, but to continue the discussion would skirt the propriety about speaking details of the ideologies or conceptual framework regarding her clan’s interpretation of Surak’s teachings, or mainstream Vulcan in general.

Sera: An…interesting rationale, Lieutenant.

Sera turned right into a well-lit engineering lab with a large table in the center.  Along the walls were numerous drawers and cabinets and a multitude of tools in cubbies along the upper portion of the wall behind the table.  It was an engineer’s paradise…if Sera were to wax poetic about it.  Which she most assuredly would not.  Such a thing was unseemly.

Walking up to the table, Sera placed the large crate on the tabletop and looked over to Sherlock, extending her hand, palm up.

Sera: …the phaser, please?

Sherlock:  Response

Taking the Bajoran phaser from Sherlock, she again ejected the power cell and performed a cursory visual exam.  Satisfied with her visual inspection Sera placed the firearm on the table and reached into the crate and procured one of the malfunctioning phasers.  There appeared to be some mild external carbon scoring from the corrupted fuel cell, but she was cautiously optimistic that the damage did not extend behind the power supply or perhaps the internal power modulator which she could replicate without much ‘fuss.’

Grabbing one of the hyperspanners off the wall, Sera got to work disassembling the phaser casing so that she could remove the components and then figure out how to get them into the Bajoran phaser.

Sera glanced over to Sherlock and saw her reaching into the crate to take out a phaser.

Sera:  You requested to observe, Lieutenant.  You are not required to work…not truly.  I accepted the work order – to replace fuel cells or power modulators are not overly taxing work…should…should I explain what I am doing?  ::sounding uncertain::

Sherlock:  response

tag/TBC

--

Lieutenant JG Sera