JP: Lt Chen & Cpt Greir Reinard - 2 Years On (part 2) (nt)

Varachen ch'Dara

Apr 18, 2015, 8:11:35 PM4/18/15
to sb11...@googlegroups.com
((Deep Space 6 Promenade: Heaven and Earth))

::Chen and Greir approached their favourite restaurant arm in arm. Chen was certainly in the mood for celebrating as they checked in with the maitre d’ at the entrance. Sadly, it wasn’t the Bolian they had come to associate with their visits to the establishment, but a flawlessly dressed female human. Her hair was dyed a dark purple, and she wore eye make-up that contained the same shade, accented with exotic green. She pulled a miniature PADD and stylus out of the pocket of her jacket, then checked for their reservation when Chen mentioned the name they’d booked under. Just as they were about to be led to their table, Chen stopped her.::

Chen: This may sound like a strange question, but wasn’t there a Bolian waiter here just a few months ago? He got promoted to maitre d’?

Maitre d’: You mean Kroll? He wasn’t just the maitre d’ for a while, he’s the owner and manager. Do you want me to go get him?

::She looked very slightly worried, maybe that they were going to complain about something.::

Chen: What do you think, th’se? You think he’ll remember us?

Reinard: I shouldn’t think so…

::There had to be an enormous amount of traffic through Heaven and Earth in the space of a week, let alone a month. Chen had to agree that the chances of the manager remembering them was relatively slim, and he was probably busy actually running the place.::

Chen: It’s OK, you don’t have to disturb him.

::The maitre d’ smiled, all traces of concern evaporating from what seemed like a very friendly face. She picked up a couple of menus, and started walking them to their booth.::

Maitre d’: Tell you what, we’ll get you seated, then while you’re reading your menus I’ll go and talk to him. We don’t get all that many Laudean visitors, and he is pretty good with remembering his regulars, so you never know.

:: Greir waggled his eyebrows to think their favourite waiter… no manager might remember them because he was so distinctive. Of course had anyone asked him in that moment he’d have remarked that he was in fact unforgettable. ::

Reinard: Alright, it can’t hurt to ask.

Maitre d’: Sure. Why don’t you take your seats and I’ll be right with you.

::She gestured towards a booth with a great view of the restaurant. The décor hadn’t changed since the last time they had been. The main floor area was decorated with small rock gardens, some with water features, with low tables and seating set into the floor. The booths were set up around the outside and a little less public. At the far end of the restaurant, a buffet-style servery was home to an enormous range of savoury dishes from a wide variety of cultures. The mixture of smells was incredible.::

Maitre d’: I’ll be back to take your drinks orders in just a few minutes once I’ve paid Kroll a visit.

::Chen took one of the menus she was offering and slid onto one of the comfortable bench-style seats.::

Chen: That’s very kind, thankyou.

Reinard: Thank you.

::As the waitress crossed the restaurant to find her way out back, Chen got himself settled opposite Greir. Heaven and Earth was the place where they’d had their first conversation. He’d plucked up the courage to invite him out after helping him salvage an enormous stack of dropped boxes containing gifts for some of the crew when they were serving together on the Vigilant. If only he’d known how things would play out then and how lucky he would be!::

Chen: I love how they’re so accommodating here. The service is always above and beyond. Between that and the great memories of our first visit here, and the one before this one… I couldn’t imagine eating anywhere else tonight.

:: Greir nodded in agreement because everything had always been so excellent – the food, service, atmosphere they’d always come back. It was something of a tradition now and with so much variety they never got bored. It was no wonder this was one of the most highly rated and popular restaurants on the station. ::

Reinard: I completely agree. What are you having to drink tonight?

::Chen hadn’t even looked at his menu. His mind had been made up before he’d even left his quarters.::

Chen: I think it’ll have to be a Samarian Sunset. You know, just to honour tradition. How about you?

Reinard: Ah, good choice. If we’re going with tradition then so will I.

:: They had both had that on their very first date here and if they were going to go the whole hog with it then it looked like he was eating fish tonight. His stomach growled in anticipation. They days of discussing claka and osol twists might be gone but even after two years Chen could still surprise him. ::

::Chen smiled; he knew Greir would remember the significance of the drink. They’d both ordered it the first time they’d visited the restaurant just over two years ago, and spent most of the night talking. Greir had been full of questions, and Chen had been happy to indulge him. At times he’d been worried that he’d been hogging the limelight, but Greir had seemed very interested in finding out everything there was to know about him, which had been flattering.::

Chen: I was thinking of maybe mixing traditions a little bit actually. Like, when it gets to dessert, let’s order that same ice cream platter you chose when our Bolian friend gave us that free one. Only, now we know they put chocolate sprinkles on it, let’s leave them on and you can take care of them for me again.

Reinard: What? You want them to leave the chocolate on?

:: Greir remembered being somewhat horrified to find out the Andorians didn’t stomach the popular treat at all well. He couldn't imagine why the Andorian would have them left on when they could be substituted, not that he minded taking care of it either.::

Chen: You bet I do. The memories of what happened last time you were de-sprinklifying the dessert on their own will be more than worth it.

::Neither one of them had realised that the restaurant used chocolate as a garnish and the management obviously didn’t have eyes on the fact it was a food that Andorians couldn’t eat. Chen hadn’t minded that; there had to have been hundreds of members of different species who walked through their doors, and he’d busied himself with something far tastier at the time, in the form of Greir’s neck.::

:: Greir chuckled at the thought of it. That had been another moment in which Chen had surprised him. If his Andorian soul mate wanted to keep the chocolate then Greir would selflessly take up the quest to desprinkle the dessert once again. Putting on a heroic expression and inflating his chest he declared his intent. ::

Reinard: The Andorian gets what the Andorian desires. Tough though this challenge may be, I bravely accept. No sprinkle shall escape my… dexterous… reach. ::Trying not to laugh and ending up slightly snickering::

::Chen’s eyebrows raised and he bit his tongue to try to keep from giggling like a little boy. It didn’t work.::

Chen: See, this is why I come to you with all these big-time challenges. You never let me down!

Reinard: Yeeeeep! Everyone comes to me with the big time challenges, that’s why my awards rack needs its own antigrav unit…

::It was a testament to their both being in such high spirits that they were playing the same game as they just had in Picard Park again so soon. Chen laughed away at the very idea of a floating awards rack. No doubt it would need extra space so it could be combined with the holoadventuring trophy cabinet. He reached across the table and took Greir’s hand.::

Chen: See, this is why I can’t wait to marry you. I’ll never have another problem again because you’ll have anticipated it and taken care of it before it can even rear its head.

Reinard: You got that right!

:: He was confident and determined that he would indeed be there to help fight off any problems Chen might ever have to face. He knew that Chen would do the same in return. ::

::Before Chen could answer there was a loud interruption. Chen looked up as someone cleared their throat, and found that they had been joined by a very familiar face.::

Kroll: I am sorry to interrupt, gentlemen, but I heard that you were asking about me. I will be taking over waiting duties for your table tonight.

Reinard: Mister Kroll! We finally know your name. We’re so glad you’re still working here, the place wouldn’t be as good without you.

:: It was like greeting a long lost friend albeit one whose name you’d forgotten. In this case they’d never known it and Greir was pleased indeed to see the Bolian was indeed still about. Meanwhile, Chen’s eyes turned more liquid as he smiled an Andorian smile.::

Chen: He’s right, you had us worried there for a moment!

::The Bolian smiled a friendly and genuine smile. It was easy to see how the restaurant was thriving if all of the staff were this way with the customers.::

:: The blue banded Laudean was so caught up in the moment that he stood up and ambushed the blue skinned waiter to give him a hug. Normally he wouldn’t encroach on another person’s space but hopefully Kroll would let him away with the gesture. ::

::Greir’s sudden expression of affection and the sheer look of surprise on Kroll’s face were enough to send Chen back into paroxysms of giggles. He watched as the Bolian manager’s face melted from surprise into acceptance, and he patted the excitable Laudean on the back congenially. Chen could completely understand why Greir had done it. It felt like Kroll had been with them for some very important milestones in their relationship, and he was certainly familiar enough to be considered a friend now.::

Kroll: ::Jovially:: Well, this is certainly the best response I’ve ever had to the news I would be waiting someone’s table! Amalia mentioned that you were asking about me and wondering if I remembered you. I do get a lot of people through the doors, but an Andorian and a Laudean in a couple? Last time you were here I believe it was a significant event for both of you and I’m very pleased to see that things still seem to be going well.

Reinard: Thank you. You may not be surprised to hear that today is another such occassion. We’re celebrating our two year anniversary today.

::Placing what seemed very much like a paternal hand on Greir’s shoulder, Kroll looked from Laudean to Andorian and back again, smiling proudly.::

Kroll: You know, the truth is, it would be very difficult not to remember the two of you. Last time you were here, you very enthusiastically told me how much you loved each other. It seems to me that you choose to come back to this restaurant for special occasions, and it is always nice when our customers decide to share with us what that occasion may be. We pride ourselves on good service, of course, but so very many people just see us as servants. I very much hope that your evening is special and memorable, and if there is anything that I can do to help accommodate that then please, just let me know.

::Chen was utterly delighted with the way the exchange was playing out. He could see that Kroll was a stand-up guy, and he very much appreciated the way he was treating them. Seeing how excited and proud Greir was that they were celebrating their anniversary made him feel very special, and he felt just the same way. This seemed like the beginning of a very good night indeed.::

Chen: We will, and we really appreciate that. Thank you!

Reinard: Yes, thank you! ::Cheerfully::

::Taking a step back from the table, Kroll lifted his PADD. As popular as he seemed to be with these particular patrons, he couldn’t stand around all night.::

Kroll: Alright, gentlemen. Can I take your drinks order?

Chen: Could we have two Samarian Sunsets, please?

Kroll: Absolutely. ::He tapped at his PADD.:: I’ll bring them over in just a few moments. And being as you’ve made my evening with your show of loyalty to Heaven and Earth, consider them on the house.

Reinard: That’s very generous! Thank you.

::Of course, it was necessary for Chen to thank Kroll properly as well, and he wouldn’t want him feeling like he hadn’t earned a hug. The moment he had a clear shot, he took it, and gave Kroll a friendly squeeze, before clasping the Bolian by both shoulders.::

Chen: We always feel like VIPs when we come here! Thank you so much!

Kroll: ::Coughing back a laugh:: Think nothing of it. Now, I do believe you are making the other customers jealous, so I had better get back to work. Feel free to make your way up to the buffet and load your plates, and I will talk to you both later this evening.

::As Kroll pottered off, Chen stood by the table, ready to go and collect some food. He felt so full of energy and excitement that he could have been 6 years old again, running around in the fields near Irimari.::

Chen: That was amazing. We’re his favourite customers!

::His antennae, while still tipped towards Greir, were almost standing on end with all the excitement.::

Reinard: Of course we are! ::Smugly:: Now lets grab some food!

:: He got up and joined Chen. Together they made their way over to the buffet with its tempting smells and colourful, exotic foods. They were certainly not short of choices. Chen saw some shellfish, which were described on a label nearby as being from Pacifica, and added them to his plate. A selection of vegetables followed, including some Andorian baked seaweed, as well as a generous helping of pan-fried Tiburonese butra fish. This was going to be a feast! Greir took a fillet of Bolian red Iltipia with a herb crust, with a selection vegetables.  ::

::They returned to their seats to find that the Samarian Sunsets had already arrived. Chen sipped his, savouring the mixture of flavours before returning it to the table.::

Chen: I’m pretty sure this isn’t replicated. I can’t remember if the ones we had here initially were or weren’t…

Reinard: I’m not sure but I really doubt its replicated. After that very first date I ended up coming back half expecting to see an aquarium with all their fish swimming around in it, the food is just that fresh.

Chen: It was a really good night. I guess, in hindsight, it was a pretty date-like kind of a meeting, but I don’t think I really saw it like that. I mean, I was aware I was having dinner with someone who I found really smart, interesting and not to mention attractive. I’m glad that night went as well as it did.

::The chan tucked into his plate of food, starting with some seaweed and one of the shellfish. Greir sipped his drink and nodded in agreement. He hadn’t walked into it expecting it to turn out as it had either. In fact he’d always had a policy against dating colleagues and potential patients. He’d come to the restaurant with the expectation of building a friendship and had got a lot more than he bargained for. ::

Reinard: It went better than I could have imagined. If someone had told me that was how things would pan out I wouldn’t have believed them.

::A thought sprang into the Andorian’s mind. It seemed like the perfect night to think back to all the good times he’d had with Greir in their relationship so far, especially being as they were looking to take steps to cement their future together. They’d chatted about how they got together and how lucky they felt that it had happened before, but Chen realised there was a piece missing from the puzzle that they’d never really discussed. Greir had taken the initiative in bringing them together, but did he know how close Chen had been to trying to do the same thing?::

Chen: Did I ever tell you what was going through my mind the night you kissed me for the first time in the Watchpost?

Reinard: No I don’t think you ever did.

TBC

A JP by

Lieutenant Chen