JP: PCNPC LtCmdr. Solek & Lt. Cmdr DeVeau - "The Art of Language" (Part I)

Amanda Nordstrom

Oct 6, 2020, 12:39:20 PM10/6/20
to StarBase 118 Ops – UFOP: StarBase 118

((Starbase 118 Ops))

DeVeau: =/\=Alora to Lieutenant Commander Solek. =/\=

Solek: =/\= This is Lt Commander Solek. =/\=

::The mono, cool tone of the Vulcan came over the comms. He was currently relishing in down time between diplomatic missions. A moment to catch up on some reading and meditations. Though he wouldn’t say the interruption wasn’t appreciated. As of late, meditation seemed, well not meditative.::

DeVeau: =/\=Please forgive the intrusion, but I was wondering if I could speak with you about something. =/\=

Solek: =/\= Of course, what may I assist you with? =/\=

DeVeau: =/\=I do prefer to speak in person, but we can continue over the comm if you prefer.=/\=

Alora always liked face to face interaction - preferred it in fact, though some people didn’t.  She would go with whatever made Solek more comfortable.

::He glanced around his room, at the candles that burned slowly and seemingly without purpose.::

Solek: =/\= In person is acceptable. ::paused.:: If appropriate, we can meet on the promenade. =/\=

DeVeau: =/\=All right, I’ll meet you there.  Thank you.=/\=

Solek: =/\= No thanks is needed, until then.::

((Short Timeskip))

((Starbase 118 Ops - Promenade))

Alora kept a look out for the man for whom she was waiting.  When he arrived, she knew him immediately - that was the nice thing about using the pictures in the Starfleet database.  Although Vulcans were not usually known for expressing their feelings, Alora was human, and her habit was to greet others with a smile - which she did, even if he didn’t return it.  In addition, she lifted her hand, offering the ta’al.

DeVeau: Dif tor heh smusma.

The words rolled off her tongue easily, with an accent that suggested extensive study and usage.  Alora loved many things, and learning languages was among them - but she also wanted to learn them properly as well as fluently.

::Solek was impressed and pleased by the gesture. To go out of one’s way to learn another thoroughly was a commitment to peace and lasting relations. He should know, it was what made him skill in his position.::

DeVeau: Thank you for agreeing to see me.

Solek: ::he turned the gesture.:: Sochya eh dif. And of course, I am here to serve.

DeVeau: It’s not a dire matter, but I was wondering if you would be willing to take on a pupil.

::He waved his hand outward for them to walk, standing still amidst the crowds was not the place to have a conversation, merely to meet. Where they ended up, Solek left to fate.::

Solek: ::curiously.:: A pupil?

DeVeau: Yes.  While I have learned several languages, I never want to stop learning.  About a year ago, I began to study Romulan.  Until...a few months ago, I was doing so consistently.  I’d like to get back into such practise, but while a hologram would suffice, I would prefer a real person with whom to work.  After some inquiries, you were indicated as someone who is an expert in many languages, including Romulan.  I was wondering if you would be willing to teach me.

Solek: I see. I have never taken on such a pupil ::he admitted, honestly.:: But I see no objections.

DeVeau: Oh good.  Then, if you have no objections, I would love to learn from you.

Solek: What are you interested in specifically? Their common dialect, a few more common ones. Or is your interest in some of the older ones.

::They moved past food, clothing shops and more. He walked with purpose, even with no destination in mind. Dressed in one of his less stuffy suits, he didn’t seem to be over dressed at the moment. It was curious to him to be asked to mentor someone. While he had in the past, it was usually to groom for diplomatic work, much less personal;.::

DeVeau: Their common dialect for now.

Alora knew that many languages had more than one dialect, some different enough that conversations, while possible, could turn confusing due to the differences.  Many Terrans would be surprised to know that Japanese was like that.  Standard Japanese was...well, standard, but there were numerous other dialects where the meaning of a word would have entirely different pronunciations - or the pronunciation of a word would have entirely different meanings!

DeVeau: I want to learn the language that I can use.  Perhaps once I become fluent, I can then look at other dialects - though learning more ancient versions of a language can prove very interesting, especially if you want to read original texts.

That was another thing that had happened with Japanese - the Standard Japanese did not become standard until the late 19th century!

Solek: I can certainly accommodate this request. You are familiar with Vulcana, Rhihansu should be easily achieved.

DeVeau: If you would just let me know your schedule and som time you’re available, I’ll be glad to pick something that works for you.

Solek: I will need to return to my office to view my schedule, but I will forward you my available times.

DeVeau: So now that business is out of the way, I’m very glad to meet you.  Would you be willing to share about yourself?

Solek: Share - share what? DeVeau: Anything you like.  I enjoy meeting new people and learning about them.

Solek: I can share that sentiment. Why don’t you start, though, you‘re the reason we’re here.

DeVeau: All right.  Well. I’m from Earth, I’m a science officer with a specialty in Xenobotany and Xenozoology.  I love music, dancing, reading, martial arts, and, of course, science!  Anything else?

Solek: Tell me of the languages you know already.

::Knowing what she knew already would help him with teaching her. So it was work and personal conversation topics.::

_________________

PNPC LtCmdr Solek

Diplomatic Officer

Traveling Ambassador