Lt. Cmdr. Alora DeVeau - "Order 97"

Amanda Nordstrom

Nov 3, 2022, 11:53:39 AM11/3/22
to Starbase 118 Ops

((Hospital Landing Pad - Bajor))

Alora didn’t understand what the problem was.  They were there to help
distribute a possible cure for the mutated Craat’s disease to volunteers
who were willing to be real world, non computer generated model test
subjects. Yet, instead, they were met not only with the Coordinator, who
stood by and watched, silent, but with a military presence.

And Zumagi knew one of them.  The two must have some sort of history -
hadn’t he said something about having military experience?  Regardless,
there was a process and order to everything.  They couldn’t just take them.

DeVeau: I see. Could you please explain to me how medical information,
which is publicly available and used to create something to protect and
cure those inflicted with a serious and possibly fatal disease, is
confidential? Not to mention, that the main physician who developed this
is standing right here so if anyone were to seek to patent or claim
rights to the development of this treatment it would be him and he would
have the right to determine who should or should not be detained in
violation of those rights?

Ekyehl: We received reports that medical information related to this,
::with disdain:: affliction, was leaked to the hands of our enemies in
an effort to control us by controlling the cure. It just so happens that
the entire database was uploaded to the Narendra. And now, here you are
in possession of a supposed cure.

Zumagi: ?

DeVeau: Colonel, I think you can see the folly and holes in this charge.

Near her, Alora could see Ray shift out of the corner of his eye. He was
preparing for a fight, but in truth, they couldn’t fight. Doing so would
only make things worse .

DeVeau: It was done so that we could synthesise a cure.  A cure for your
people.

Zumagi: ?

Ekyehl: That may be true, or it may not. We’ll just have to see. Please
come with me.

The man turned and the guards started to inch closer but Alora levelled
her gaze and the one next to her hesitated.  With his hesitation, the
others did the same.

Ekyehl: I would prefer if you cooperated, Commander, but that is not a
requirement.

With that, Ekyehl resumed walking, but Alora wasn’t having it.

DeVeau: Order 97.

Ekyehl/Sutter/Zumagi: ?

DeVeau: I do believe you are familiar with it, Colonel.  No Federation
citizen will be arrested or taken into custody without due warrant in
written form which must be provided to the person in question before
such arrest or detainment can be enforced.

Ekyehl/Sutter/Zumagi: ?

Alora managed a small smile, but she pulled herself up straighter, and
her gaze remained unmoveable.

DeVeau: By defying the order, you are breaking Federation law. You are
taking us into custody without documentation.  You are doing so, not
only to a highly respected medical physician, the very person who
developed the information you claim to be confidential and compromised,
the very person who would be able to make that determination.

She took a step forward, eyes unblinking as she held Ekyehl’s.

DeVeau: You are detaining a First officer of Starbase 118 Ops, the First
Officer who directly reports to Commodore Sal Taybrim.  I’m sure you’ve
heard of him.  Also one of his well respected Ensigns who is highly
regarded in his own right.

Ekyehl/Sutter/Zumagi: ?

She leaned forward, and still her gaze didn’t tremble or shake.

DeVeau: And said Commodore has already alerted Starfleet personnel that
there is a government coverup in effect which we are in the middle of
investigating.  So, Colonel Ekyehl, you have a choice to make.  You can
try to take is into custody and afterward deal with the wrath of
Starfleet for undermining that investigation, undermining the medical
attention of those suffering from this disease and preventing them from
getting potentially life saving treatment, and subversively denying
Federations citizens their rights and therefore losing not only your
rank, your position, but any and all semblance of respect from Bajorans
and the Federation alike as well as spend time in a Federation prison…

She paused then.  There was no expression of glee.  This was not a path
she wanted to travel at all, but her face set in a semblance of
solemnity, the weight of her words heavy upon her features.

DeVeau: Or…you may escort us to ensure that patients are allowed to
receive this vital and potentially life saving medication and allow the
Federation and Bajoran government to work together to weed out the
corruption and thus improve matters for Bajor all around.

Ekyehl/Sutter/Zumagi: ?

--
Lt. Cmdr. Alora DeVeau
First Officer