Lukin Zorkal - "Vainúvah" (Bailey/Taelon/Talas/Yael)

Amanda Nordstrom

Nov 25, 2020, 7:31:55 PM11/25/20
to StarBase 118 Ops – UFOP: StarBase 118

((Bajoran Temple Gardens - Starbase 118 Ops))

Zorkal: It aids you, then? Interesting. I don’t recall ever seeing one used when I was stationed on Deep Space ten.

Bailey: Most folks don’t use them. Older technology.

Zorkal: I see.  If it was an older technology, Lukin had to wonder why she utilised it.  Was it the most useful?  Surely there were better, more flexible ways of assisting her that would make it easier for her to get around.

Yael: I think... Perhaps I’ve picked up the alcoholic selection by mistake. I’ll need to replace my drink. If you’ll excuse me.

Lukin glanced over at Ashley, an eye ridge arching upward.  He was aware that the Denobulan didn’t drink, and it made sense that he would want to get rid of any alcohol that he might have accidentally taken.  However, the violet hued man didn’t get very far.  Instead, he paused before another man, one who was quite a bit taller than Lukin himself, who was also accompanied by a young woman - teen, or close to being a teenager.

Yael: My apologies. I didn’t see you there… somehow.

The taller man seemed rather disconcerted by the much shorter, a fact which Lukin found quite amusing.  Ashley was not at all intimidating, yet it seemed he’d managed to intimidate someone.

Taelon: I, um, I’m sorry, I wasn’t paying attention. S-sorry.

Yael: I don’t think we’ve officially met. Ashley Yael, counselor.

Taelon: Oh - um, nice to meet you. Taelon, um, science officer. ::Cyri was behind him, peering up at Yael curiously. Taelon rested a hand atop her head.:: This is, um, Cyri. My daughter.

Yael: Are you enjoying the festival?

Taelon: S-so far, um, yes?

Yael: I’ve heard that El-Aurians are fabulous listeners. Meanwhile, Denobulans *do* love to talk. We should get along *smashingly.*

Taelon: ::Taelon laughed nervously.:: Um...

Lukin sipped at his more recently procured drink.  It seemed that he was not the only one watching the exchange with interest.  Perhaps it was the rather clumsy way the taller man, evidently named Taelon, stumbled through the interaction.  Whatever the reason, both his remaining companions seemed rather intrigued.

Bailey: Should we do something?

Talas: What do you mean?

Since she’d spoken, Lukin turned his attention back to the woman.  He watched her intently, her expression intensifying into some emotion that he couldn’t quite place.  Frowning he inched a little closer.  Was something wrong with her?

Yael: My replicator or yours?

Taelon: Um - if you need something made, I could, um, probably…

Talas: Hey, are you okay?

Then the woman did something Lukin had not expected - she pushed herself to her feet.  As she did so, she quivered, the motion obviously taking effort, but there was something else that caused her to tremble so.  Once more, Lukin frowned, and as she shuffled forward, he found himself carelessly setting the now empty class onto a passing tray and drawing close enough to reach out and catch her should she fall.  The Bajoran did the same.

Talas: Is that a good idea

Bailey: Hey! Get away from him!

Her sudden cry caused Lukin to turn his attention away from her and back to Ashley and the man known as Taelon . From his perspective, there was nothing wrong, other than they looked to be getting rather intimate.  When he turned back to Bailey, she was down on the floor.  Immediately, Zorkal went to one knee beside her, his gaze intense as he studied her face.  Once more, he and the Bajoran matched in their motions.

Yael: Response

Taelon hurried over, adding to the small crowd that was growing around her.

Taelon: Are you - are you alright?

Bailey: No, no, no. Not too close. ::she tried to sit up::

Zorkal: Get back.

Lukin growled, an arm, shooting out to block anyone from attempting to get near her.  He motioned for Talas and Taelon to put some distance between them and the woman.

Yael: Response

Bailey: Don’t hurt me…

Hurt her?  Someone was trying to hurt her?  Who?  Lukin almost growled low in his throat, eyes widening.  He leaned forward, one arm crossing over his chest, fist against his heart.

Zorkal:  No one’s going to hurt you.  I won’t let anyone hurt you.

Talas =/\= Ensign Talas to infirmary, medical emergency in the Bajoran temple =/\=

Ayala: =/\=Ensign Talas, this is Doctor Ayala, I copy.  Locked on to your position, stay put.=/\=

Taelon: It’s, um, it’s okay. ::Given that his encounter with Yael seemed to be the cause of this…:: I’m, he didn’t do anything, um, wrong, just…

The man hesitated, then seemed to make a decision.

Taelon: Um, I, ah, need a drink. So I’ll be - um - over, um, over there…

It was then the el-Aurian scurried off.  Lukin was fine with that ,it opened up the area around her.  Turning to Talas, his eyes flashed as he warned.

Zorkal: She needs room.  Get back.

Lukin himself did not move.  He was going to remain there, by her side, and he wasn’t going to let anyone harm her.

Taelon: Sorry. Are things, um...better? Sorry to be - I didn’t mean to scare you, miss Bailey.

Fortunately, when Taelon returned, he stood rather than added himself to the little circle, putting some distance between him and her.   Lukin finally turned and addressed Sheila directly.

Zorkal: Madam, I give you my word I will not let you come to harm.  I will make sure of that.  I will protect you.

Bailey/Taelon/Talas/Yael: ?

Only seconds had truly passed, though surely it seemed longer.  A moment later, the tell tale sound of a transporter added to the hustling noise, and a woman shimmered into view.  Black hair had been pulled up into a bun and dark brown eyes assessed the situation quickly as she dropped down next to Bailey.

Ayala: Doctor Bailey, it’s Doctor Ayala.  Are you feeling any pain?

Lukin almost growled at the doctor, but caught himself.  Like him, she was attempting to help.  That knowledge spurred him to allow her.

Bailey: ?

Taisa turned to the small crowd, calling to them.

Ayala: The situation is under control.  Please disperse.  ::Her eyes then settled on Lukin.::  Who are you?

Zorkal: I?  I am her vainúvah.

For a second, Taisa just stared at the man before responding.

Ayala: I’m sorry, her what?

Zorkal: I am her vainúvah.  Her protector is the closest word in Standard.  I will not leave her side.  I will keep her safe.

Ayala: Oooookay.

Things had just gotten weird.  Since he was not making any moves to interfere or touch Bailey, Taisa decided to ignore the Cardassian for the moment and focus on her patient.  From her medkit, she pulled out a tricorder and began a scan.  Adrenaline levels were raised, but considering her state and the situation they were in, that wasn’t unusual.  Cortisol levels were also higher, which meant something had agitated her.  She was upset.  But other than that, there seemed to be nothing wrong with her.  Putting the tricorder away, she met the Elaysian’s gaze.

Ayala: Doctor Bailey, let me help you into your chair.  I would like to take you to Sickbay, just to make sure everything’s all right.

There she could take more detailed scans, which might give a better answer if anything was truly wrong.

Bailey/Taelon/Talas/Yael: ?

Taisa frowned, not sure she was particularly happy with that response.  If she had her way, Doctor Bailey would go straight to sickbay.  Obviously, something was wrong, but what?

Ayala: Are you sure, doctor?

Bailey?

Taelon/Talas/Yael: ?

Ayala: I would feel a lot better if I could get you under observation.

Yet Taisa couldn’t force her.  Not at that point.

Bailey/Taelon/Talas/Yael: ?

--

Lukin Zorkal
Cardassian