Lt. JG Sheila Bailey - Butterfly Queen (Tags: Nijil)

Aly Drolet

Jul 19, 2020, 7:58:04 PM7/19/20
to sb11...@googlegroups.com

((Starbase 118 - City Center Lake - Buenas Aguas sailing vessel))

Nijil: How has your leave been? ::his tone more that of a concerned doctor.::

How had her shoreleave been? Mostly she had worked; Had conducted a few medical appointments. However the only thing she had purposely done to relax was visit the holodeck. Once with a group of crew members in a Wild West program and once on her own. Other than that she had mostly spent time in her office looking over the information Sal had given her. It was a heavy load of information and she was still working on processing it.

Bailey: Busy.

It was also busy in the sense that she hardly gave herself time to process her thoughts beyond what she had gone over with Sal. Tried not to think of anything beyond moving forward and so far so good.

Nijil: Have you taken much time to relax? See the station?

Bailey: Not really. I mostly worked. You?

It seemed that Nijil wasn’t the best at talking about himself. Bailey gave him a moment.

Nijil: About the same ::he admitted.:: Though I did stop long enough to visit a traveling museum of sorts.

Bailey: That’s great. Any highlights?

Bailey thought that that would have been fun for herself. Something to do that took low amounts of energy. She’d have to check it out the next time she had a break.

Nijil: I would say all of it, it should be around for another month I believe, if you have time ::he nodded.:: It is worth it - ::paused.:: You have an interesting choice of clothes for the evening.. Seems nautical.

Sheila nodded along. She didn’t have much to say so she just listened to Nijil talk about what he had done over shore leave.

Bailey: Oh my outfit? It’s based on an Elaysian sea myth.

Nijil: Sea… myth?

It wasn’t much of a myth but calling it such was a good way to describe it. On Elaysia myth, legend and religion all seemed to blend into one another. However for the three big ones, sea, rain forest and mountains, all had a mystical figure that guided those that worked in the traditional jobs of the regions.

Bailey: If you want I could tell you more about it over drinks?

Nijil: ::paused.:: Sure. ::he waved his hand towards the open bar.:: I take it your people have many myths?

Bailey: Not many. Three big ones which are either called a myth, ledged or even to some people a religion of some sort.

Nijil: Are there evidence to any of them?

Sheila thought so as a young kid but as she grew up the idea more or less became that, an idea. However for Sheila who grew up in the rain forest region she didn’t know much else about the sea and mountain myths beyond their big stories. The ideas behind them didn’t guide her as she didn’t work the jobs they described.

Bailey: Some folks believe that us Elaysian’s are descended from three main women. I’m dressed as the woman of the sea also known as The Butterfly Queen. I can tell you more if you're interested?

Nijil: Of course, please, tell me about this one ::he pointed his finger up and down at her.::

Bailey: Well...hold on.

After the bartender handed Nijil his water Sheila herself ordered a lavender lemonade. The drink was almost as sweet as the oceans on Elaysia. The drink itself also worked to calm her. Once she had her drink she guided the two of them over to a seat. The story wasn’t very long. Though she did expect some questions and a seat was the best place to sit and talk.

Bailey: The whole thing starts with three women each governing a region on Elaysia. The sea is governed by the Butterfly Queen. The rain forest by the Palm Fairy and lastly the mountains are governed by The Woman of The Mountain Halls.

Nijil: Are there descendants of these creatures? Evolutionary cousins?

Bailey: As I said before some folks think that us Elaysian’s are descended from these three women but the scientific evidence is inconclusive.

Nijil: Response

Bailey: Anyway, after these three women divided up the land, the Butterfly Queen went down to the coast. Here she created the ocean. With every step she took water rippled out.

Nijil: Response

Bailey: Her name? As she moved through the land, creating the ocean she also created the butterflies. On Elaysia butterflies live near the ocean and drink from it’s waters. The waters are warm and sweet. Sailors always say that when a butterfly is spotted that the saling will be calm that day.

Nijil: Response

Bailey: Indeed. According to the story each woman guides those that work in their regions traditional jobs. The Butterfly Queen guides those that call themselves sailors. The Palm Fairy guides those that farm and lastly the Woman of The Mountain Halls guides the miners.

Nijil: Response

At that Bailey heard the sound of a large bell go off. Must have been Sal getting everyone's attention for the award ceremony. Bailey herself was looking forward to recognizing her fellow crewmates. The last mission had been hard for everyone and they all deserted recognition of that. Recognition also helped boost one's sense of self which always made her happy.

Bailey: There are more stories with themes of warning for those working in such jobs but I think I shall have to continue later. Would you like to accompany me to the ceremony?

Nijil: Response

TAG/END

OOC - Ending this conversation so that we can respond to award specific tags.

Lieutenant JG Sheila Bailey

Medical Officer

Starbase 118 Ops

M239512BG0

"Ta-er al-Safar" - The Canary; "No woman should ever suffer at the hands of men" - (Quotes) Sara Lance; Legends Of Tomorrow