JP: Doctor Brenna Taybrim & Lt. Cmdr. Alora DeVeau: Seeking Answers (Part 2)

Amanda Nordstrom

Nov 5, 2021, 11:42:12 PM11/5/21
to StarBase 118 Ops – UFOP: StarBase 118

((Lumie Family Home - Betazed))

Brenna: ~Neopenothal is well documented.  I could cross reference with the medical database any other cases of low or trace neopenothal usage with sudden death~

DeVeau: ~Yes, please.  The more information we have, the better.~

The older woman rocked slightly where she sat, considering what sorts of things might have caused this.  There were always outlying cases and rare occurrences.  She started to pull up her access to databases and query the computer.

Brenna: ~This cross reference will take some time.~

Alora still couldn’t help but feel like she was still grasping at straws.  Turning her attention back to the PADD, she read over the report, frowning.  Two and two still wasn’t adding up to four.

DeVeau: ~Mrs. Taybrim...could you tell me what happens when someone uses the lily?  You said it was similar to some toxins on earth. ~

Leaning back she sipped her tea and looked over towards Alora.  Pharmacology was an area of interest to her, and the act of taking recreational drugs was a strange one that crossed species and cultures.

Brenna: ~Yes, Most similar to Lophophora williamsii - I believe the common name is Peyote?  It has hallucinogenic qualities and different forms that can have greater or lesser effects.~

DeVeau: ~Could it also mask something else?~

She paused, considering as she warmed her hands on the mug of tea.

Brenna: ~Possibly.  Or it could react with something.~

DeVeau: ~I guess we’ll see what comes up.  How far along is the cross referencing?~

Considering Mrs. Taybrim had just started it, probably not far along at all.  Alora had to admit, she was impatient.  She wanted a yes or no as to whether or not her gut instinct was right.  Hopefully it was.  It was one of those cases she would prefer to be wrong. If it was right, though....well, one step at a time.

Brenna looked over, checking the data compilation process.

Brenna: ~The data will take two to three hours to complete.  We’ll have better answers then.  I don’t think it is good to dwell upon what it might be until we have further information.~

DeVeau: ~Yes.  You’re right, of course.  I suppose I shall just have to be patient and wait.~

A difficult thing to do considering the circumstances.

Brenna gave a motherly smile to the younger woman.

Brenna: ~You could rest, you look rather wiped.~

Alora glanced over at the other woman.  She was right, Alora was tired, but fatigue didn’t always transfer directly to resting peacefully, especially with so much on her mind.

DeVeau: ~I honestly don’t think I could sleep right now.~

Even though the hour was growing late.  Dinner had been quite some time ago, and Alora had certainly given a couple of tours of various places of the house and the grounds.  The brotherly banter had reminded her so much of her own siblings, Mr. Taybrim was quite the gentleman, and Brenna Taybrim a formidable presence all on her own.  How different they all were, and yet how similar in some ways.

Brenna: ~The other option is to chat.  Tell me about yourself.  Your StarBase.  Your relationship with Lumie Enzada.~

Curiosity, unspoken, but she wanted to know how that fit in with her son.

Three questions all in a row, and yet none of them were unfounded.  Did she not already know of Ops, though?  Was Sal not the Commodore of the Starbase?  Alora wouldn’t refuse, regardless.

DeVeau: ~Let’s see.  Ops is my home.  A place I’ve felt where I have belonged from the moment I stepped on it.  It’s a huge Starbase with many people from many cultures who come.  Some remain and live, a permanent part of our community.  Others are transients, people who come and stay different lengths of time, then move on.  There is always something to do.  It is ever the same and ever changing.~

True be told, Brenna had never expressed much interest in Starfleet until this moment.  Maybe she was more interested in the story of the woman who sat before her.  That and she had disconnected from her youngest son when he decided to follow his oldest brother and join Starfleet, abandoning a promising career as a civilian scientist.  Brenna had been livid.  She had only calmed when she received the news that Sal was placed as first officer of this giant starbase half a galaxy away.  She figured a Starbase was safer than a ship.

The first officer part hadn’t really registered.  And then she got the news that he was a Commander.  And a Commanding officer.  She had wondered if that was even true.  She had been stubborn and in denial.  She missed his promotion to Captain.  To Commodore.

And now he showed up on the doorstep they had always lived on and she couldn’t turn him away.  But her pride and shame prevented her from really talking about Starfleet with Sal.  This line of questioning had multiple purposes of information gathering.

Brenna: ~And what about yourself?  You must have a story behind you?~

DeVeau: ~I’m not particularly interesting.~

Brenna scoffed at that, audibly and telepathically.

Brenna: ~Says a Human who is now in line to inherit a Noble House of Betazed.  That is a boldfaced lie.  So tell me who you are, whether you think you are boring or not is of no matter, that is for me to decide.~

Alora tilted her head to one side, pondering what to say.  She definitely found others interesting, but when it came to herself, she found she was more interested in other people.

DeVeau: ~I was born and raised on Earth.  Entered Starfleet, my specialties are Xenobotany and Xenozoology.  Graduated, got posted, went through several postings.  Before I Ops, I was stationed at a medical research facility.~

She paused.  That was when things had changed drastically.  That was when her universe had shifted.  That was when…

DeVeau: ~I met Kalin.  We worked together.  We married.  There was an accident.  He died.~

She said it.  Maybe not out loud, but specifically, to someone else.  She’d done it before, but every time she had to fight the strangle of emotions that twisted and churned deep within.  That time, however, it was easier to keep control, to prevent the dam from breaking, to steady herself.  Was it getting easier?  Losing Kalin?

No.  It wasn’t any easier.  She was just getting more and more accustomed to the new normal.

She paused, feeling a familiar wash of emotions.  The loss of a lover.  She knew that sting all too well.  Her Imzadi Jethral was killed in an accident too.  A Starfleet accident.  The worst kind of accident.

Brenna: ~And he was Enzada’s only child?~

The question was reserved as she kept her own empathy at bay.  There was too much to relate to there.  Worse, they both had found an irritating Taybrim in the aftermath.  Maybe that was the mark of this family, bad emotional rebounds.

DeVeau: ~No, he was of the Teser family.  He was the last of his, she was the last of hers.  After his death, it was just her.  And now...me.~

And she wasn’t even Betazoid.  Irony was having a field day.

Brenna: ~And here you are.~

DeVeau: ~And here I am.~

Brenna: ~Which leaves the question - what do you want?~

What did she want?  Alora wanted many things.  Some of the things she wanted, she could no longer have.   They were gone, left the past, lost to the winds of change.  Time might help her grow accustomed to those changes, but she didn’t know if she would ever look back and wish things hadn’t been different.  But they were what they were, and now Alora was thrust in the middle of a bunch of new changes.

Deveau: ~Enzada wanted to ensure everything was left to me.  As far as the houses go...from what I understand, reactions are mixed.  Some are willing to accept it.  Some don’t want this at all.~

As odd of an idea as it was, the Betazoid woman hadn’t ever really cared what others thought about what she did or how she handled things.

Brenna clicked her tongue against the roof of her mouth and shook her head.

Brenna: ~I didn’t ask what Lumie Enzada wanted.  Or what you think the other houses want.  I asked what do you want?~

Emphasis on you.

If she were to give a total and complete answer to that, it probably wouldn’t be what Brenna was searching for either.  Alora sighed, her arms crossing over her chest and her eyes closing.

DeVeau: ~Had Kalin not died, it would have gone to him.  We would have dealt with this together.  Our children would have inherited.  Now it’s just me.  And I’m the only one who can prevent the death of the house.~

Brenna nodded, tracking the plan.  What a different person the woman in front of her would be.  A scientist, a mother, an heiress with an important husband.  Slowly integrating into Betazoid society.  Possibly it would have moved her out of Starfleet.  Certainly it would not have opened up the doors to become the first officer of a massive StarBase, but it would have opened up completely different doors.
A completely different life.

For the first time, perhaps ever, Brenna also considered what she would lose if her wish to have her Imzadi was granted.  She, too, would be a completely different person.

Brenna: ~Which you feel as a massive responsibility upon your shoulders.~

Stated as fact, gently, sympathetically, but still fact.

DeVeau: ~From what I’ve been told, if there are no living heirs, the house will simply be absorbed by another.  There would cease to be twenty houses and only be nineteen.  I don’t want that to happen.~

Alora’s eyes opened and she leveled her gaze at Brenna.

DeVeau: ~And I want to make sure this really was a ‘natural’ death.  Something keeps nagging at me about it.  When I get an inkling this strong, I find it best not to ignore it.~

The older Betazoid woman paused.  If there was foul play it indicated a far deeper conspiracy with this woman caught in the middle.

Brenna: ~I don’t think you should ignore it either.  But I don’t think you should dwell on it until you have some clear answers.~  ::she paused:: ~Sometimes answer come after rest, with a fresh mind in the morning.~

Alora reached up and rubbed her eyes.  The moon had steadily made its way further across the sky, and the late night was getting even later.  Even as they waited for the data to process, even though so much weighed upon her mind, even though she had claimed earlier she might not be able to sleep, she was beginning to feel a deep weariness settling in.

DeVeau: ~Maybe you’re right.  Maybe I should rest.  You should rest too.  If this is going to take a while, perhaps it would be better to broach it in the morning.~

She nodded gently.

Brenna: ~That seems like a good idea.~

DeVeau: ~Then let’s do so, but please don’t feel as if you need to rise with the dawn.  Enjoy your rest.  Take advantage of it.~

Brenna: ~I’m always up early~ ::she chuckled:: ~My boys will sleep in.  Probably.  Sometimes they change more than I can keep up with.~

DeVeau: ~I’ve heard that’s the way it is with children.~

She didn’t know.  Alora had no idea if she would ever know, but she offered a small smile to Brenna. Rising, she started toward the door, but paused at the other woman’s side and rest a hand upon her shoulder.

DeVeau: ~Thank you, Brenna.  I really appreciate it.~

With a gentle caress from her own mind, Alora’s smile brightened just a little before her hand dropped and Alora made her way out of the room.

Brenna responded back with a small wash of mental motherly affection.

Brenna: ~May the dawn bring news.  Sleep well~

And the silence of night nestled around them like a blanket until morning.

~*~
Tbc…
~*~

A JP by