Lt. Cmdr. Alora DeVeau - "What Options Are There?"

Amanda Nordstrom

Nov 20, 2021, 1:25:55 AM11/20/21
to StarBase 118 Ops – UFOP: StarBase 118

((Miranda Station - Pour Decisions))

When they had first gotten word that a group claiming to be Terra Prime had taken control of Miranda VII, Alora had been absolutely disgusted at the idea.  The organisation was an odious, ugly blotch on human kind that she had thought gone defunct long ago.  She was wrong.

When the crew of Ops had first been told they were getting involved, several angles were being played.  Hers and that of her team were to try a diplomatic approach to the situation, in the hopes that, maybe, they could come to some sort of understanding - though such a thing was highly unlikely, and they had known that going in.

When diplomacy had not only failed but the end result was an all out shoot out, Alora and her team had decided to take a different diplomatic angle - reasoning with those who were left on the station.  Surely there were people there who wanted to get rid of Terra Prime.  Surely they wouldn’t be alone.

And when Alora had gotten the information about specific people on that station, she had thought that maybe she could spur them into taking matters into their own hands.

Yet, while that was being worked out, something else had started working in.  Her mind had begun to whir and Alora had realised that to release Miranda VII from the grip of a tyrant, they needed to get rid of that tyrant.  That meant meeting said tyrant head on.  Which meant they were going to get in deeper than originally planned.

Janil Ceristis was a hybrid trapped on the station. She had mentioned that ships came in, but they didn’t get out.  Alora suspected that was mostly true.  Ships came in, and the only ones that got out were the ones specifically controlled by Terra Prime.  Now, however, Starfleet was involved.  Bombs were being placed, teams were on the ground, trying to get more information, establish what connections there were, and help to sow seeds that might blossom into strength.  And it might give them an opening they needed.

DeVeau: Tatash and company are planting explosives.  When those go off, they’re going to be scrambling and trying to figure out what happened and who did it.

Bailey:  ?

Janil: Yeah, and?

DeVeau: And then, we’re going to give them what they want.

No one understood what she meant, and Alora couldn’t blame them.  Her mind was going at warp 15.  Would it work?  She didn’t know.  But if it *did* work, then they would effectively wrestle control away from Terra Prime, which had been their goal in the first place.   And she had an idea.  Before she could speak it, however, everyone felt a tremble.  Janil glanced sharply at the entourage that hovered in the still open doorway.
Yael:  The building…?!

The intensity increased a little, then there was a sudden motion, almost a jerk, as if the station had suddenly shifted.  That might not be out of the realm of possibilities.  Alora made a note to not mess with Tatash.  Not that she wanted to.  But now she definitely didn’t want to.  Fortunately, she had already been leaning against a wall, which meant she had kept her balance.  The lights visually jerked, flickering on and off, then suddenly everything was plunged in darkness.  Something crashed to the floor before the shaking lessened then finally faded all together.  In the distance, they could hear the sounds of alarms, and a moment later, the lights came back on.  Alora had stayed up right due to her position and she turned a concerned eye toward her friends.

Moaning, Ashley was on the floor but moving and cognizant.  And Sheila, who was precarious already on her crutches was already starting to move about as well. Alora offered a hand to those who had fallen.

DeVeau: Everyone all right?

But there were other things on people’s minds.

Yael:  ::looking to Alora::  It’s begun already.  What do we do?

DeVeau: We make a plan.

Bailey/Janil:  ?

Yael:  Perhaps we should transport out?

Alora had no intention of doing so, but she wasn’t going to stop Ashley if he wanted to leave.  It was dangerous where they were, and her idea was only going to make it more so.  He reached up to slid his hand, as if he was about to engage a transport.  She couldn’t blame him.

DeVeau: You may if you wish.  That’s up to you.

Bailey:  ?

Yael:  ::voicing the reality::  I’m a liability at this point.

Alora would argue against that statement.  Ashley was anything but a liability. He was a capable officer, and she knew he could be an asset.  That being said, she couldn’t ask him nor Sheila to jeopardize themselves further.  He nodded, evidently making his decision and then he attempted to activate the nod.  Except...nothing happened.  Ashley remained where he was.

Yael:  … Guess I’ll stay.

Janil: Should have known.

The words from Janil were spit out and her eyes hardened as they settled upon Ashley.  She had picked herself up off the floor, and now anger twisted her lovely features, hands balled into fists.

Janil: You planned to leave while we did the dirty work.  So much for helping.

Bailey: ?

DeVeau: I’m staying.  Whether or not the transport works, I’m staying

Alora stated firmly, and as Janil shifted her gaze to her, the first officer held it, unwavering.

DeVeau: I can’t leave.  Not yet.

It was Alora’s turn to look at those with her.

DeVeau: I have an idea, but neither of you are required to participate.

Bailey/Yael: ?

Inhaling deeply, Alora let it out slowly.

DeVeau: Janil, if you’re willing to still help set that blaze, I'm willing to make sure the fire burns strong.

The Bardassian’s eyes narrowed, and Alora continued.

DeVeau: Right now, they’re trying to figure out what happened and who caused the explosion.  What if we give them what they want?

Bailey/Yael: ?

DeVeau: Two options.  I’m human.  I could act like I want to join them.

At that, she nodded toward Sheila.  It had been her idea after, and Alora wasn’t about to take credit for it.  Unfortunately, as much as had wanted to take point on that, Alora knew that wouldn't fly with Terra Prime.  She, however, was human. They would be more willing to entertain that idea.

Bailey/Yael: ?

Janil didn’t seem as if she was quite ready to believe Alora. After all, they were Starfleet, and it had just been revealed they’d had a way out - at least originally. Alora could see the cynicism and doubt.

Janil: And the other option?

DeVeau: You, Janil, turn us into Terra Prime in an effort to curry their favour and get off this hunk of metal.  With either option, we insist on speaking only to the head honcho and, hopefully, gain access to Malefic.

Alora turned and looked at Sheila, then Ashley, her expression solemn.

DeVeau: But I'm not going to order either of you to comply with either scenario.  If we do one or the other...well, obviously, it's dangerous.

Bailey/Yael: ?

--
Lt. Cmdr. Alora DeVeau
First Officer