JP: Lt. Cmdr. Raga & Lt. Cmdr. DeVeau - "On Twibbles and Owls"

Amanda Nordstrom

May 6, 2022, 5:42:41 PM5/6/22
to StarBase 118 Ops – UFOP: StarBase 118

(( Security Chief’s Office, Deck 11, USS Chin’toka ))

The preparations to get underway and the frustration of learning his best friend would be having an extended stay on New Romulus had made for a busy morning. Well, that wasn’t right. He was glad Serala and Little Bean would be enjoying some time away from the Expanse and the danger and stress they’d been accruing lately.

The frustration was from HQ sending them a new First Officer. They didn’t need someone coming in and usurping what was, as far as he was concerned, Serala’s job. Toryn sipped on his Al-Leyan spiced tea and sat back in the tall chair behind his desk. They’d had countless personnel changes over the years, having to see great people leave and having other great people arrive to fill their roles but never take their place. He still couldn’t place why this was bothering him so much. Maybe because his other best friend, Valin Dermont had been transferred away years ago and he’d not heard from him since.

A soft hoot pulled him from his thoughts while he cradled the Atlantis Brew Continuum mug in his hands. He glanced at the large Seiuri owl perched atop the tall platinum stand he had beside and just behind his desk. Sylara was always able to calm him and he reached into the stasis unit beside him, pulled out a long strip of raw meat and flung it towards her. She plucked it out of the air with ease and quickly wolfed it down.

There was one thing he wanted to do before they left Shemsh. Toryn glanced at the PADD in front of him, the one that had the details of a plan to arrange for production and transportation of Captain Twibble plushies. In various fur hues.

Raga: Computer. Open a long range communication channel to Starbase One-Eighteen Ops for Lieutenant Commander Alora DeVeau.

The call came in the middle of her day.  Alora had been going through various pages of PADDwork, sorting through what needed to be addressed immediately, and what could wait a little longer.  Some things she could delegate, which was always nice to push something off of her plate.

The interruption wasn’t resented.  She’d been working for a couple of hours and could do with a break.  So, setting aside her PADD, she turned to the console before her.

DeVeau: =/\= This is DeVeau. =/\=

Raga: Cool winds, Commander DeVeau. It’s good to see you again. I hope the Great Mountain has treated you well since the wedding?

Alora’s smile was immediate, lighting up her face and reflecting in her eyes.  She had made Toryn Raga during Chy’s and Lael’s wedding.  She was happy to connect with a new acquaintance again.

DeVeau: =/\=Well hello there!  Lovely to hear from you. =/\=

The Al-Leyan nodded slightly and offered her a warm smile, then held up the PADD briefly.

Raga: Likewise. Actually, I called to talk to you about the request you made of Cadfael about an order for a certain plush to be made.

Ah, so it was about that.  Alora’s smile turned into a grin and she leaned against her desk, arms crossed over one another.

DeVeau: =/\= Oh?  I thought that was Cadfael’s territory.   =/\=

He chuckled and waved his hand dismissively.

Raga: It’s alright. Cadfael came to me because Commander Serala insisted that the Captain give his blessing before she’d permit any to be made for distribution offship. I’ve got the details, if you’ve got time to go over them?

DeVeau: =/\= Of course, lay it on me.=/\=

Alora straightened up.  Business first, then pleasure.  They could chat afterward, if he wanted to simply talk and establish more of a rapport, but for now, they could discuss the terms.  She reached for a different PADD.  This one was unusual, a combination of a tricorder and standard PADD.  She’d had it for several years, or a version of it.  Dueld kept upgrading her, though the style hadn’t gone beyond a few people.  Alora, herself, loved  it.

Raga: Well, Mei insisted that if there was to be any possibility of currency to be made from the distribution of his likeness that it might reflect poorly on him. What with being a Starfleet Captain and all. So, he asked that there be certain terms regarding that.

DeVeau: =/\=Well, I understand that, but what terms are you suggesting?=/\=

Alora knew that in business, there were always negotiations to be made.  She also wanted to respect Mei’konda’s wishes.  The thing was, while he might have been the inspiration, the product didn’t necessarily have to be modeled completely on him.  There were a variety of things Alora hoped to do.

Raga: While I expect most of these are probably staying within the fleet the uncertainty of whether or not money might change hands was a concern. So, the term that Mei is willing to accept is that if that happens, the funds are directed to someplace where it’s most needed.

DeVeau: =/\= Oh?  Please, continue =/\=

Raga: About a year or two ago the Valcarian Imperial Republic attempted to steal Deep Space Twenty-Six using Chon tech onboard it to pull it into subspace. It was moved from the Jenatris corridor but emerged from subspace directly in orbit and the gravitational field of Paldor Two. ::The Al-Leyan’s brow furrowed, recalling the devastation he witnessed firsthand:: It caused a global level catastrophe that leveled significant portions of their cities and caused numerous tectonic and atmospheric disasters.

Alora had heard about that, but she had not been anywhere near the Jenatris cloud when it had occurred.  Now she was on its very doorstep.  There was a lot of history that she had lived through, but had not borne witness to and was now suddenly in or near the places where significant events had occurred.

DeVeau: =/\= I remember hearing about that.  It was terrible.   =/\=

The brief image of a herd of local fauna stampeding through the triage camp floated to the forefront of his mind, and of himself grabbing the lead animal by the antlers in an attempt to divert the herd. It worked, but not without casualties.

Raga: The terms would be for a trade route to be created to send any proceeds garnered by these plushies to be sent to Paldor II to help the locals rebuild their world. It’s going to take a long time to recover.

DeVeau: =/\= I see.  Well, we can do that, but there’s a caveat. =/\=

Raga: ::His brow raised slightly:: Oh?

DeVeau: =/\= This is a business, and as such, expenses have to be paid for.  People have to be recompensed.  I can certainly divert the percentage of his share to the people, and honestly, have no problem sending mine along with it, but others who profit from this venture should be allowed to make the choice as to where the money goes.  Serala, too, needs to choose what is best for her.  However, I can definitely set up a fund for the recovery efforts, and like I said, I will gladly donate my personal profits from sales of the plushie as well. =/\=

Raga: Hmm. I understand. Mei’s concern was over how it would look if a Starfleet Captain’s likeness was used as a means to earn money. While I’m not familiar with commerce as much as you are, I imagine that there shouldn’t be any concern as long as he and those on his crew receive no income from the sale of the plushies. ::He considered a moment:: I’ve already had a consultation with Serala and she’s fine contributing to the relief efforts. Perhaps it could be advertised that the proceeds are being used to that end. In the hopes that those who do earn income from them would do the same?

DeVeau: =/\= If that’s amenable, then I can have T’Lia, our third partner, send over a contract. =/\=

Raga: Please do. I’ll run this all by the Captain now that we’ve had a chance to discuss things and ensure that we still have his blessing. I feel that your caveat is a fair one. Should he agree, what sort of transport arrangement would work best? Shemsh is a long way from the rest of the Federation. Which means long transport times.

DeVeau: =/\=I own a business.  A shipping business.  Getting to Shemsh wouldn’t be an issue.=/\=

In the last eight years, Alora’s and Aron’s business, now also T’Lia’s, had grown exponentially.  While Alora had taken, mostly, a step back, this was one area she had agreed to discuss since it had been her idea and she was personally acquainted with the people involved.  T’Lia handled the details.

Toryn sat back and considered the situation from a tactical standpoint.

Raga: Well, Shemsh is still in the founding. As such, the colony has no shortage of a need for resources. Especially since one of the industrial replicators we were transporting was damaged beyond repair during the attacks on our convoy. Perhaps it would be most beneficial for your company to transport things the colony needs, then return with the plushies? I imagine that would make the most of the trip, given the lengthy time frame.

DeVeau: =/\= Well, honestly, we wouldn’t need to return with the plushies if we shared the rights to the replication pattern.  Wouldn’t that make more sense?=/\=

Raga: Hmm. I hadn’t considered that. ::He chuckled:: Shouldn’t be surprised, logistics is a bit outside my branch.

It wasn't outside of hers, though at one point, Alora would have never entertained the idea that she would become a business woman.  In fact, when asked what one point early on in her career, she’d been asked whether or not she would follow in her father’s footsteps.  At the time, the answer had been no.  Six years later, there she was, co-owner of a profitable and growing business making deals.  While she was more of a silent partner those days, she couldn’t pass that particular opportunity up.

DeVeau: =/\=I suppose I‘m used to it by now.=/\=

Raga: Well that makes things simpler. We can pass along the replication schematics then.

DeVeau: =/\= Great.  It should be covered in that contract. =/\=

The Al-Leyan took a sip from his spiced tea and smiled. A soft hoot resounded from out of view and he glanced at the Seiuri perched on her platinum stand. Causing him to laugh.

Raga: When I spoke to Mei about this there was a little bit of banter between him and Sylara. My Seiuri.

At the mention of Sylara the large Seiuri, which looks akin to a barn owl from Earth, but with teal eyes that reflect light like Toryn’s silently flew across the room and perched on the back of his chair. Staring at the monitor like she would whenever his sister called to talk.

Alora’s own eyes lit up in delight.  A seiuri!  She had seen them before, but only in captivity, a couple that had been injured and were unable to be released to the wild.  But there was one, hale and whole, and evidently companion to Toryn.

DeVeau: =/\= Are you bonded? =/\=

Raga: She and I share a telepathic link. Mei suggested I offer you a two for one deal. Get a Twibble and also get a Sylara plushie. ::He laughed::

Sylara: ~ Sylara better than tiny cat. ~

The owl hooted softly and bobbed her head up and down quickly a few times then stared at the monitor with her head slightly tilted.

Raga: She says she’s cuter than Mei.

Alora laughed, then clapped her hands together.  That was wonderful.  She knew the creatures were empathic and telepathic, fascinating avians that were beautiful and deadly - if one was a rodent.

DeVeau: =/\= I have to admit, I’ve never been offered a seiuri before.  I do have a cat myself, Sachiko, and she’s wonderful, but… =/\=

Raga: Caring for Sylara means I’ve never thought of getting another animal to care for. Mostly because it’d likely end up as a meal for her. She used to hunt Targs back home.

But now things were different.  She was no longer going from place to place to place.  She had a set of quarters that was twice as big as hers on the ships had been.  In addition, the station offered her more stability.  Then again, Toryn had one and he was on a ship.

DeVeau: =/\= If you want to send me an egg, I won’t say no!=/\=

Now that was an interesting thought. Toryn had never considered that, mostly because they were a protected species back home. And yet. As far as he understood it. The laws said nothing about prohibiting their breeding once they were bonded. In fact, in all the years he’d had Sylara he’d been asked many times by zoologists on Leya-I if Sylara could be mated with various mates in order to bolster the species.

In the last two decades she’d laid over two dozen eggs and knew that they were to help her kind thrive more.

Raga: Interesting. You seem to know a fair bit about Seiuri.

DeVeau: =/\= I’m actually quite familiar with them.  I may be known for my plants, but I’m also a xenozoologist.=/\=

And thus she was likely more qualified than most to care for such a creature.

Raga: That’s quite remarkable. I was going to mention that we could include plushies of Sylara as well, but if you want an egg I think I can arrange that.

DeVeau: =/\=Oh!  I’m interested in both!  I’ll add that to the contract.=/\=

And yet, the idea of selling Sylara plushies wasn’t the only thing that caught Alora’s interest.  No, it was the second offer that particularly intriguing.

DeVeau: =/\=But the offer of an egg is so very tempting.=/\=

Raga: We’re due soon to have Sylara mate again. We have an ongoing arrangement with the Nez Toural Seiuri Refuge to help repopulate the species. They’re still endangered, especially in the northern polar region. Considering she tends to have clutches of about six, I can make sure one makes its way to you.

Oh…so wonderful.  And yet, Alora also saw an opportunity.

DeVeau: =/\=You wouldn’t, per chance, be willing to make sure two eggs get to me?  A male and a female, maybe from different clutches?  We have a zoo here, and we could start a breeding program here as well. =/\=

All right, so it was a spur of the moment idea, but one that would help the species and allow her to do more than just benefit for herself!

Raga: That’s an interesting thought. I’d have to reach out to the Refuge and confirm the legalities of it. Again, they’re a protected species. But I can see if a permit and an official agreement can be made for your zoo to do that.

Toryn might even escort the eggs himself since they are so prized, whenever the homeworld sent a male Seiuri to mate with Sylara they generally were transported by an Al-Leyan military vessel. Since they could cloak and defend against pirates ortt other poachers who would make a killing selling off Seiuri eggs.

Raga: I can see about bringing them to you in stasis. My dad has a Bird of Prey that we can use to transport it without worry from poachers and the like.

DeVeau: =/\=I’m going to have to accept.  I’ll keep one, the other will remain at the zoo, and we can get them breeding when they’re old enough! =/\=

Which meant everyone would win!  Alora’s grin flashed brighter at the thought.  The zoo had experience working with endangered species, so it wasn’t as if this was completely new.

Raga: I must say, Commander, you are full of surprises. ::He smiled:: I only ask that if you are able to get a breeding program started that you ensure that the Seiuri only bond to those who will protect them. ::He said passionately and the owl on his chair bobbed her head up and down, then nuzzled against his cheek::

Leya-I’s anti-poaching stance was as severe as their anti-piracy. Both were met with lethal force.

Deveau: =/\=It’s a deal, and of course.  I wouldn’t have it any other way.  =/\=

Raga: Once I’ve had a chance to communicate with the Refuge back home and work out arrangements I’ll reach out to you again to arrange transport of the eggs to you.

Oh this was grand.  Toryn would start one process on his end for the eggs and start a breeding program, and she would start another!  One would bring profit,the other would profit in a much deeper way.  Of course, it wasn’t quite that easy.  Toryn would have to navigate the red tape on his side, but at least Alora had a bit of an edge on hers.

DeVeau: =/\= We made a lot of progress on this call, didn’t we? =/\=

Alora grinned at the image.

DeVeau: =/\=I’ll get that contract over to you in the next couple of days.  And I’m sure we’ll be in contact again soon.=/\=

Raga: I look forward to it.

DeVeau:=/\=It was lovely seeing you again, Toryn.  I look forward to our next conversation. =/\=

Raga: Likewise, Alora. Cool winds to you and may the Great Mountain treat you well.

The screen went dark after the call ended and he sat back in his chair for a moment. That was certainly an interesting conversation and had taken a turn that he hadn’t expected. From the last estimates he had heard from the Refuge, the Seiuri population was finally near breaking the thousand mark. It would take many more years for their population to rise above endangered status. But he was glad that this might help get that to being a sooner possibility.

Feeling Sylara nuzzling her beak against his neck he smiled and scritched at her chest feathers. Toryn then got to work, he had to make a formal request to the Nez Toural Seiuri Refuge with Alora’s proposal while Sylara perched on his shoulder and hooted softly.

***************

Lieutenant Commander Toryn Raga

Second Officer/Chief Tactical & Security Officer

USS Chin'toka NCC-97187

PodCast Team Member

Training Team Member

Chin'toka Staff Member