Lt. Nestira Aristren - Rodulan Arrogance

1 view

Arys Trovek

May 31, 2023, 9:49:58 AM5/31/23
to sb11...@googlegroups.com
((Hallways – USS Narendra – Saucer Section))

Nestira had not expected to run into Sal Taybrim, and his appearance wasn't entirely welcome. Not because she disliked the Betazoid Commdore in any way, but because she didn't know what to do with him. She was tired, and yet wide awake, unable to find the rest she clearly needed. She wanted to connect, but was too afraid of rejection. She needed to talk about the thoughts and images that plagued her mind, still she kept silent and coerced the conversation into a different, more comfortable direction.

Aristren: How long until we are truly making our way back to One-Eighteen?

Taybrim: We will stay here for another eighteen to twenty-four hours before heading home.  I want to ensure that we get the right intelligence team to clean out Miranda VII.

Part of her wanted to ask if she would be part of this team - then she realized that she didn't quite know what she hoped the answer to be. She found herself in an odd state of floating, as if stuck in her personal bubble of subspace she couldn't escape.

Aristren: So it shouldn't be long.

Taybrim: The flight home will be… stately.  Warp two limit.  I suppose if anyone has a hot date on StarBase 118, they could beam over the Rahuba

He chuckled very gently at that joke, and the Rodulan indulged a smile.

Aristren: And do you have such a ... hot date ... you wish to attend to? I am sure Solaris McLaren would be willing to take over the bridge again.

Taybrim: Me?  I’m staying here and just… resting.

Once more, the conversation, and their roles, shifted. This time, to a constellation Nestira was painfully familiar with.

Some considered it a flavour of arrogance, and perhaps they were correct in their assessment, but Nestira did not agree. She was thrice Sal's age, and she had held the role of a caretaker, in one way or the other, for almost two decades now. Focussing on him, his wants and needs, seemed natural to her - and of course Nestira knew best what he needed. Rest. That's where the arrogance came in.

Aristren: Can you find rest in such a rather impersonal environment? I image it has been quite some time since you last spent an extended amount of time on the Narendra.

Taybrim: response

She tilted her head in surprise, not having expected that. She considered this for a moment, and while she did, she turned towards the corridor, motioning for him to follow.

Aristren: I was not aware... that sounds... ::she sighed, and settled on the diplomatic response:: ... challenging. Do you feel this environment can aid in your recovery?

Taybrim: response

There were several levels to recovery, Nestira was well aware of that. Once more she supposed she knew best how he could gently exercise his telepathic capabilities, and there was no doubt in her mind that that was what he wanted.

Aristren: If there is anything I can do, please let me know. ::she offered a smile, then nodded guiltily:: And yes. I am ... ah... 'walking you home'.

Taybrim: response

She sighed, weighing her response, and eventually opted for the honesty she would offer a fellow Rodulan. She felt no shame in admitting what bothered her, and if she hoped for acceptance of who she was, she would have to be willing to offer explanation.

Aristren: During the attack on the Praetor, someone dear to me was killed. Now on Miranda, people that meant something to me have not been located, and others have sustained terrible injuries. I ... suppose I have a desire to make sure you are alright.

And to regain control.

Taybrim: response

TAG/TBC

Lt. Nestira Aristren