BACKSIM: Lt. Cmdr. Alora DeVeau - "Locked Away"

Amanda Nordstrom

Oct 18, 2021, 11:44:13 PM10/18/21
to StarBase 118 Ops – UFOP: StarBase 118

((Rixx, Betazed - Lumie Family Home))

Himitsu bako.  Tikei bako.  Sikake bako.  They were all Japanese names for the same type of thing.

Puzzle boxes.

Their history didn’t originate in Japan.  Earliest documentation of similar items dated back as far as the Renaissance era on Earth.  In Japan, they made their appearance sometime in the Edo period and quickly became ingrained in the culture.  Originally, they were simple things, meant to protect children from tiny, sharp sewing needles.  As time went on, they got a little bigger, and a lot more complicated.  Alora, of course, had become fascinated with them almost immediately.  When Enzada had visited, she’d been introduced to the concept and the Betazoid had found them enchanting.  The newly minted matriarch of the 15th house of Betazed just hadn’t realised how much.

Enzada had left everything to Alora, but in particular were two puzzle boxes that she had purchased during her time in Japan while Alora had been ‘convalescing’.  Not only that, they had come with instructions - to be given to her on the occasion of Enzada’s death.  Perhaps she hadn’t realised how quickly that would come to pass.

But it had.  And now, Alora was there, on a planet that she had ties to, one that held a special place in her heart for several reasons, yet was still a stranger.  A stranger who was now considered nobility.  The irony couldn’t be ignored.

And now she had boxes.  Beautifully handmade and custom built according to Enzada’s specifications, they sat upon the desk, staring at her, and her at them.  One was small and could fit in the palm of her hand.  The other was more hefty, about half a meter in width and around a third of a meter in height and depth, yet it was not particularly heavy.  The smaller was simple, blue and white with an overall hexagonal pattern and Alora had figured it out in about a minute, for it had only required four moves to open.  Inside had been a small holographic disc to insert into an emitter.  Alora hadn’t watched it yet.  Instead, she had turned her attention to the larger and attempted to figure it out.

Japanese puzzle boxes could be very easy, like the first one she had opened.  They could also be extremely complex.  What Enzada had commissioned was particularly so.  Larger than most puzzle boxes, it seemed the woman had made a point when it came to getting such a thing crafted.  Likely whomever had made it had given her a diagram in regards on how to open it.  If Alora was lucky, she might find it among Enzada’s files, though she doubted it. Enzada had purposefully, perhaps with mischievous, fun loving intentions, commissioned the item.  She wouldn’t have had such a complicated box made and yet left easy instructions.  Smirking, Alora attempted to take another turn to get farther than the two she had started with . A few minutes later, another tidbit on the side slid under her gentle prodding.  She was sure she could probably run a scan, maybe use the calculations the computer could spit out to help but, but somehow, she sensed that had she done that and Enzada had been alive, the former Matriarch would have been extremely disappointed.

A fourth was found, then a fifth, but after that, she became stuck again and finally Alora leaned back her chair and returned to the little chip.  There must be some reason she’d put it in there.  Taking a small emitter that was part of Enzada’s things, Alora inserted the chip into it.  Immediately, the form of recently deceased Enzada appeared, her lips spread into a wide, warm smile, eyes crinkled and laugh lines clearly.  In her hand, she held a cane made of rich, red wood and adorned with silver filigree, topped with a silver ball.  Alora knew very well she didn’t need it - Enzada just liked the way it looked.  It was all decorative.  Her vanity.

Lumie: Well here I am.

DeVeau: There you are.

Alora’s lips flickered into a smile.  This was not a hologram that was programmed to respond.  No, it was far simpler than that, merely an image meant to convey a message.  Still, it was a pleasure to see the wide grin that was just so Enzada.

Lumie: And now I am dead.

She didn’t know whether to laugh or cry.  It was true, that statement, and yet the bluntness of it was so very, very Enzada as well.

Lumie: And likely you know I’ve specifically named you as heir, both to my personal effects as well as to the position of house Matriarch.  Not that it really mattered.  It should have gone to you by rights, but I know some of those old crones.  They’ll try to argue against it.  Ha!  I took care of that.

A sharp rap of the cane against the floor was punctuated by a warm cackle from the woman herself.  She leaned forward.  Somehow, despite the fact it was simply a reflection of the deceased, those ebony eyes met Alora’s as if she had been still alive.  There was warmth in that image, a glittering joy that sprang up from the wells within a soul who had seen far too much sorrow to justify such an emotion.  Yet there it was.  That was Enzada.

Lumie: You might not be Betazoid by birth, but you are Betazoid at heart.  You are the best representation of my house that I have ever met.  I knew you had to be special for Kalin to choose you, and he chose wisely.

Immediately, Alora’s hand slapped down on the emitter and the image paused, that broad grin still over the face, but it blurred.  Tears flooded her sight, unbidden and unyielding.  They flowed down her cheeks, tracing rivers over her fair skin. Even her hands, wich pressed desperately against her face, could not stem the tide.  Chest heaving, sobs escaped with intense, guttural wails, intensifying the twisting of her heart.

Desperately, she tried to reign it all in, tried to fight against the emotions that streamed as readily as the water from her eyes, but it was several minutes before she attained any measure of success.  Her body rebelled, spurred by the grief that sliced her heart, sliding into another fit before finally easing off to the point where she was able to gain control, gather herself together, and inhale deeply.

One.  Two.  Three.

Three steps up, then one long one going down.  A second time.  Then a third.  She repeated the motion, then lay her hands flat against the desk, focusing on the coolness and smoothness of the wood.

One.  Two.  Three.

Slowly, she gained control.  Slowly, she felt herself come back into the present, back into a state of mind where she might continue.  Enzada had more to say.  Alora needed to listen.  Slender fingers shakily reached out to restart the hologram.  Enzada’s reflection straightened,  grin shifting into simply a smile.

Lumie: You’re going to meet resistance, you know.  Some of them will accept it.  Most will likely be shocked, and don’t be surprised if someone tries to find some long winded legalistic reason to contradict my will, but don’t let those fogies get the best of you.  They aren’t bad people, just stubborn.  Sometimes a little stupid.  Okay, often a little stupid.  They mean well but sometimes they can’t see past the ends of their noses.  You’ll just have to show them exactly what you showed me.

Alora felt the tears sting against her eyes, but she managed to keep more control that time.  The breaths game one after the other, a long slow release, and the hologram continued.

Lumie: I know you struggle. You’ve seen more in your short time in this universe than many people twice my age.  Yet, I’ve seen the depths of you. That darkness never quenches your light.  It’s there, my girl.  I know it is.  I’ve seen it.  Don’t let it go.

One hand covered her mouth as she struggled to prevent another breakdown, and managed to wrangle it all together.  The hologram continued none the wiser.

Lumie: There’s another box.  Didn’t know I got a couple, did ya?  Well, now you do!  Obviously you’ve figured out the first, but that was too easy.  The second?  That’s a trixy one.  Don’t even try to find the instructions, you never will.  You’ve got to figure this one out on your own, my dear.  And I know you’ll do it.

Alora’s gaze shifted to the box of orange purple sunset with flying cranes and pink cherry blossoms that decorated each side.  The hand that was upon her mouth gingerly reached out to stroke the edge.

Lumie: That’s got the silver keys in it.  And once you open it, you’ll find out what the Treasure of Medara is.  But no cheating.  You have to do it yourself.  I know you will. It might take a while, but I have faith.

She had faith.  Oh yes, Enzada had a lot of faith in her to make such a decision, to ensure that the house went to her despite what others might think, despite the lack of heritage.  She’d passed on the last of herself to her heir.  Alora couldn’t let her down.

Lumie: And that's it.  :: The image tapped the cane against the floor once more.:  I’m going to say this one last thing and then I’m shutting this damn thing off.  Don’t forget who you are.

The image waved her hand, and suddenly Enzada’s form disappeared.  The message was over.  She was gone.  The fifteenth house of Betazed was almost nonexistent. The last biological member deceased, and it was held on by a thread thanks to a human woman who had been chosen to see that it did not get absorbed, that it did not cease to exist.  Fingers lightly traced the image of the cranes upon the remaining box.  Like her, it was foreign, taken from its origins and put into an entirely new world.  Yet, somehow, it didn’t clash.  It’s colours did not clash with its surroundings.  Rather, they complemented, settled into the decor as if it had belonged there all along.  It seemed to belong.  Perhaps the woman who had purchased it knew that.

And maybe.  Just maybe, she was right.

--
Lt. Cmdr. Alora DeVeau
First Officer