Lt JG Sera - Life is more 'fun' if you play games

Hope Forster

Nov 19, 2022, 12:35:31 AM11/19/22
to sb11...@googlegroups.com

((Engineering Lab, USS Narendra))

Sera:  You requested to observe, Lieutenant.  You are not required to work…not truly.  I accepted the work order – to replace fuel cells or power modulators are not overly taxing work…should…should I explain what I am doing?  ::sounding uncertain::

Sherlock: I thought ::beat, gesturing towards the crate of phasers:: you indicated ::beat:: wait...

Sera watched Aine’s face as her expression morphed between different thoughts or feelings.  She wasn’t sure which, really.  This entire conversation had taken on a rather…competitive edge to it.  It reminded her of conversing with her brothers.  They seemed to derive illogical pleasure in random attempts to antagonize her.  Was that what was going on here?

Sera: I was engaging in…banter.  I am in no position to order you to do anything, Lieutenant Sherlock.

Sherlock: oODammit!Oo Oh, I see now.

Sera: ::tilting her head slightly in inquiry::  What do you see?  Are you speaking literally or using the phrasing as a colloquial expression to denote understanding?

Sherlock: Isn't it obvious what I see?

Sera: I am not standing at your position, nor are my eyes level to your vantage point, so I cannot be certain exactly what you are referring to.

Now that was a Vulcan response. Her brothers would have found her answer quite dissatisfactory.

Sherlock: Again ::beat:: more alike than dissimilar.

oO Wait, what?! Oo  Sera’s expression blanked to a completely neutral expression which absolutely belied the turmoil she was experiencing within.

Why did Sherlock’s comment elicit such an intense reaction?

Sera said nothing but looked down at the Bajoran phaser which had been now neatly opened and its contents methodically spread out around the outer casing.  She was studying the small power inverter and considering the how the Starfleet inverter with a larger footprint would fit within the allocated space when she became aware that she had a white knuckled grip on the hyperspanner.  Very slowly, and with a silently measured exhale, Sera released the grip on the tool and gently placed it next to the parts.

Sera:  Dissimilar in all the ways that are important, Lieutenant Sherlock.

Sherlock:  response

Attacking the sacrificial Starfleet weapon with an intensity that was at odds with her serene expression, Sera picked back up the hyperspanner and quickly popped the cover off the phaser and began pulling apart the phaser component by component setting out the pieces in a manner that denoted she had done this numerous times before.

The practice movements allowed her brain to conceptualize how to arrange the components into a configuration that would fit within the outer shell of the Bajoran phaser, and she was reasonably certain the resultant mental image would be functional.  It also brought back her clarity and focus.

Sera:  ::as she starts snapping the pieces into the new configuration::  Your accent.  It is most unusual.  Scottish?

Sherlock:  Response

Sera:  Irish...Scottish…well they sound more similar than dissimilar.

Sherlock:  Response

Snapping, sliding, clicking – the components were finally in the configuration that would fit within the new shell.  Sera carefully slid the recombined phaser module into the Bajoran phaser housing with just enough room to spare for the cover panel.

Hyperspanner in hand, Sera removed the plate that had been modified to remove the various phaser settings and using the sizing measurements manufactured a new plate with the same button configuration as the Starfleet phaser so that it would have the versatility to go from low stun settings up to kill.  The last snap completed the phaser and Sera flipped it every direction checking the thoroughness of her rebuild.  Satisfied that the panels were secured, and nothing was loose within, Sera handed the phaser across the table to Sherlock.

Sera:  All of the components have been successfully reconfigured and installed.  However, the true test will come on the firing range.

Sherlock:  response

Sera:  I will defer to your preference on this, Lieutenant.  Observing the test firing of this weapon was not brought up when we discussed terms.

Sherlock:  response

Sera nodded once, satisfied.

Sera:  Rom zhagra, Lieutenant. <<Good game>>

<<End for Sera – Happy to continue if needed>>

----

Lieutenant JG Sera

Engineering Officer

SB 118 Ops