Lt. Trovek - Path of the Prophets - Promises

Arys Trovek

Sep 14, 2022, 4:50:26 PM9/14/22
to Starbase118
((Aaron’s House, Bajor))
Arys had visited her brother Aaron for the first time in several years, and in a quiet moment could finally share her feelings regarding the sudden death of their half-brother Taril Zantett - and the fact that she firmly believed her own mother to be responsible for it. She had also confessed that Geleth, the little girl she had adopted, was Taril’s daughter and that the child that identified the attackers as Bajoran-looking.
It should have come as a relief that Aaron insisted his mother no longer had a hold over him, but somehow it left a bitter taste. Still, there were certain things Arys was willing to overlook in favour of reconnecting with her older brother. Surely those ‘red flags’ she was observing were only her own, warped perception.
Aaron and Arys had talked through most of the night, and no thought was wasted on other duties and responsibilities that would surely creep up now that the sun was once more rising. They had never really seen eye to eye, but now it seemed that neither of them wanted to stop talking, telling the other of family and career, the things that bothered them, and what they envisioned for their future. Of course Arys’ hopes for her future differed vastly from what Aaron envisioned for it, but he was wise enough to know that the peace between them was too fragile for criticism.
And when all had been said, a comfortable silence settled between sister and brother as they walked towards the transporter pad that would bring Arys back to Geleth and Lukin.
Aaron: You won’t just disappear from here again, will you?
Arys glanced at him, offering a sad smile. Of course she would have to leave, and when that was, wasn’t her decision to make. It all depended on when Taybrim decided to take the Narendra back to Starbase 118.
Trovek: I will need to leave with the Narendra, but we can stay in touch. And I can certainly visit more often.

Bajor wasn’t exactly around the proverbial corner, but transportation could certainly be secured.
Aaron: There are Federation facilities here ::he hesitated:: I am sure. You could get reassigned. Or simply take your family to live here on Bajor. As a doctor, you can easily find work, it doesn’t have to be with Starfleet.
Aaron still disliked Starfleet, and as with most things, Arys blamed her mother for that.
Trovek: I don’t think that will be possible. ::she sighed:: Lukin is am Ambassador, he goes where Cardassia tells him to go - and unless they tell him that the next stop is ‘Bajor’.. well. ::she shook her head:: He won’t be able to leave One-Eighteen. And I like what I am doing there, I have so many projects I want to get started.
Aaron: But what if Cardassia tells him to move elsewhere? Back to Cardassia, for example.
Arys knew that this had happened before. Lukin had mentioned Lydia, a human woman he had found fascinating, and whom he might have entered into a romantic relationship with if Cardassia hadn’t called him home.
Trovek: I…
She had an answer, but she didn’t have an explanation, and she knew what Aaron was getting at. Should Lukin be sent elsewhere, she would go with him, even if reluctantly. She would change or set back her career for him, because he was her family, and because she loved him. But for Aaron?
It seemed her hesitation was answer enough.
Aaron: I see. ::he sighed:: and I hope he is worth it. I just can’t shake the thought that he wouldn’t do the same for you.
No, he probably would not. He would always put Cardassia first, and Arys second.
Wrong - He would always put Cardassian first, Bailey second, and Arys third.
The oath he had made to Sheila still bothered Arys, especially after her last conversation with the Elaysian. After all, while it might no longer hold any significance for Sheila, for Lukin, nothing had changed. The younger woman clearly wasn’t aware of the significance it held.
Arys hadn’t quite finished her line of thinking yet as Aaron spoke again.
Aaron: Will you at least let me see Geleth? If you’re in a few days going to pack up and leave again?
She wasn’t entirely comfortable with the idea, but he was right. She had essentially just told him that she would leave again, not return any time soon, and that she would disregard her career and personal preferences for Lukin, but not for him.
Letting him meet Geleth was the least she should allow.
Trovek: I am sure that can be arranged. We are here for the Gala tomorrow… ::she reminded herself of the time:: well, today… evening, and then-...
Once more she didn’t get to finish her sentence as Aaron cut in, evidently excited at the prospect.
Aaron: That’s perfect. I can watch her. ::He paused, looking at his sister who didn’t seem, to be as convinced of the idea as he was:: Arys, I’m a father. My eldest is ten, I know how to handle children.
Trovek: I am not sure I would feel comfortable with that…
Aaron: Why not?
Trovek: We don’t let other people watch her, usually. It’s always me, Lukin or Ferri - well frankly it’s mostly Ferri. I know we’re not the only ones travelling with a child and attending the Gala, and I think there will be some activities for the kids while we are there.
But Lukin wasn’t too fond of that, not without another person to supervise Geleth in specific. While Arys was sure that the little girl would get along well with the other children, Lukin was very protective of her.
Aaron: A supervised visit then?
There was nothing that really spoke against that, especially when Starfleet personnel would be present. Of course it would be preferable for her or Lukin to be there, but she didn’t have the heart to tell Aaron to wait until they could make time.
Trovek: You know, I am sure Lukin can be convinced. I don’t know for how much longer we’ll be here after that.
Aaron: I am looking forward to seeing her. Are you staying on your ship during your stay here?
Trovek: No, we’re staying in Carinth, Raijalla Valley. It’s quite nice, we have booked a place we can see Unity Temple from our window and we don’t have it far for the Gala.
Aaron: And you can even make it to the temple within a few minutes.
He smirked, knowing very well that his sister refused to enter any kind of religious building, and a Bajoran temple least of all. Arys nodded knowingly, and as they arrived at the little village from where Arys would return home, she turned to her brother and embraced him.
Trovek: I’ve missed you. I don’t want to ever fight again.
Aaron: No fighting. I promise.
Arys nodded, scanned her ID bracelet, stepped onto the transporter pad, and closed her eyes.
A moment later Aaron, the village and the farmland in the distance was gone, and she found herself not far from her temporary residence.
—-----------
((Town of Carinth, Raijalla Valley, Bajor))
The town of Carinth was barely coming to life as Arys arrived and made her way in the direction of Unity Temple, but with no intention to visit it. After the somewhat in-impromptu all-nighter, she was looking forward to returning to Lukin’s side.
Hopefully he was still asleep, and hopefully he didn’t hold it against her that she didn’t return home earlier.
She passed the now almost familiar building with its golden dome and claw-like spires, intrigued to already see people on their way for their morning worship. Even if she thought it was a waste of time, she admired the dedication. Then again, it seemed like a lot of these people qualified as tourists rather than pilgrims - as she passed the crowd, she could make out several different species, and only a few Bajorans in between them.
She was about to direct her attention away from the group of people when she noticed a familiar face. Ferri.
For a moment Arys felt guilty, wondering if Lukin had sent her out to search for her.
Trovek: Ferri!
She called over to the young Cardassian, who turned towards her in surprise and walked towards her. It was only then that Arys noticed that Ferri was accompanied by an Andorian around the same age.
Emlott: Miss Trovek.
Trovek: Ferri, it’s Arys ::she sighed.:: Who’s your friend?
Ferri regarded her with a somewhat confused expression, and Arys realized that it was perhaps not the most polite way of asking that question. Truthfully, she wasn’t sure if she was surprised about seeing Ferri on her way to a Bajoran temple, or that the woman accompanying her wasn’t Aine.
Trovek: Sorry - I really need a coffee. I am not usually so grouchy.
Sh’quellel: That is no problem, Ma’am. Crewmen Thyria Sh’quellel. I hope you are not in disagreement with me taking Miss Emlott out.
Now that Arys was thinking about it, Ferri taking a liking to an overly polite Andorian made a lot of sense.
She knew that Ferri was a little infatuated with Aine, but wasn’t quite sure how far this infatuation went, and if Ferri (or Aine, for that matter) were … swinging that way. She would have to ask Lukin how accepted same-sex relationships were on Cardassia, and if Ferri was aware that it was perfectly fine to ask Aine out on a date.
But right now, Ferri seemed happier than Arys had seen her ever since she returned, and Arys was glad to see that she was making friends.
Trovek: That is no problem at all. Well, I won’t keep you, and I hope to make it back home before anyone wakes up.
She was about to turn as Ferri spoke up.
Emlott: I was wondering if I would be permitted to spend time with Thyria and a few others while you and the Ambassador attend the Gala, or if I am required to watch Geleth.
Trovek: I’ve made arrangements and I think having Geleth play with the other children will be enough. So yes, you can absolutely spend time with your friends.
She didn’t mention that Aaron was going to watch Geleth. Not because she wanted to keep it a secret, but simply because she wanted to tell Lukin first.
Ferri’s eyes sparkled as she nodded.
Emlott: Thank you.
Arys was more than pleased with the young Cardassians’ reaction and continued her way home. As she entered, the apartment it was still dark, and both Geleth and Lukin seemed to be asleep.
She went to check up on Geleth, who was sleeping soundly in her bed, accompanied by both Sleg and the Hornicorn and her favourite pillow. Arys could hear a slight rasping noise as the girl breathed in, and wondered if they would have to adjust the dosage of the medication that kept her from coughing. She would discuss it with Foster once they returned.
Next door, Lukin too was sleeping, and Arys tried not to make any noise as she dressed down and climbed into bed next to him. He turned, and his grey eyes met hers, but he didn’t say a word. He didn’t have to.
Trovek: I know. I’m sorry.
She should have told him that she would be staying out late, and she hadn’t meant to worry him. He let out something between a sigh and a grunt, and pulled her closer to him before he closed his eyes, and it didn’t take long for Arys to do the same. They could talk tomorrow. It was unwise to wake sleeping lizards.

Lt. Trovek Arys
Chief Medical Officer
Starbase 118 Ops
J239809TA4