Commodore Taybrim - A Nefarious Thing Afoot

Jamie LeBlanc

Oct 16, 2021, 10:23:59 PM10/16/21
to SB118

((Large Conference Room – StarBase 118 Ops))

After awards came questions, of which there were few.  Maybe that was a good thing.  Sal had been trying to slowly prepare the crew for this transition since the first assassination attempt.  But, like them, he still wasn’t fully used to it yet either.

Taybrim: Before we begin the briefing, I wanted to give some time for you to ask questions.  I hope this transition does not seem like too much of a shock, but I want to make it as smooth as possible.

The voice was familiar.  Not just the voice of an old friend, but that peculiar tone of worry that threaded through the young el aurian’s tone that Sal Taybrim knew so well.

Taelon: So, are you - when we leave on missions, you’ll be staying behind?

Taybrim: I will be staying on StarBase 118 for some missions, yes.  ::he offered a smile:: Don’t worry.  Other missions are still under my purview so you’re not getting rid of me quite yet.

Taelon/Any: ?

He looked about and then offered PADDs to Ensign Andrews and Ensign Drevas.

Taybrim: I wanted to thank you both again for your assistance last mission.  You both did a tremendous job.  And, I’m not sure if this is good news or bad news, but you both will be staying here on StarBase 118 with me for the upcoming mission.  I recommended you both to Admiral Hauke for some security upgrades to our transport lanes and she’s very interested in having you both work on the taskforce.  It’s an important job and I’m sure you will both shine on that project.

Drevas/Andrews: ?

He gave some time for them to head out.  This certainly wasn’t goodbye, there were so many specialty projects to be done on StarBase 118 that sometimes good crew weren’t always on the same missions.  But he expected to pull both back into the senior staff again as each was a fantastic officer in their own right.

Then he turned to the gathered and drew in a slow breath.

Taybrim: So, let me give a quick overview.  Six days ago the Federation freighter FIS Zarmaeon experienced critical engine failure and exploded in the atmosphere of Astraemin V, home of Utopia Colony.  The Zarmaeon was carrying chemicals for terraforming and a number of common but volatile substances.  ::He drew in a deep breath and let everyone process that.:: This filled the atmosphere of Astraemin wth poison and the Utopia Colony called Starfleet for aid.  As the nearest base, we were easily able to replicate the necessary anti-toxin and immediately sent a Federation medical frigate to aid the colony.

That, in and of itself was a totally common happening.  Aid requests were common and StarBase 118 was a major supply hub that could send out needed aid supplies on a moment’s notice.  And, that was almost always where it ended.  Emergency call asking for aid was responded with aid being sent out, and things were fixed, life went back to normal.  Rinse, repeat.

But the very fact that had a mission told everyone that something bad had happened, before Sal even finished his explanation.

Taybrim: However, the frigate was attacked by pirates and its entire cargo load was stolen.  Very brash of someone to attack a Federation frigate in federation space.  So Starfleet sent the USS Apgar with a second load of medicine from StarBase 118 two days ago.  ::He sighed, readying them for the dark punchline.:: The Apgar was attacked and shot down.  The managed to make an emergency landing on Vestis VII and sent a distress call.  That’s when starfeet intel became heavily involved.

He glanced towards Solaris McLaren, who quite possibly had a good heads up on the information he was about to share.

Taybrim: Intel intercepted an independent medical trader on StarBase 118 trying to tamper with the relief supplies, and after interrogation found several useful leads.  Which brings us to where we are now.  ::Another breath.  This was not the best of news.  Then again any time a group was interfering with medical aid it was never a good situation.:: while unconfirmed, Starfleet Intel has a strong suspicion that the freighter explosion as well as the subsequent attacks have been orchestrated by the splinter group calling themselves Terra Prime.

Terra Prime, a notorious hate group, targeting hybrids and non-human species.  An ugly, bitter, awful excuse for a cause.

And Utopia colony was well known for having a large hybrid population.  The data all fit together in a dark and sinister way.

Any: ?

Taybrim: I am sending the USS Avalon A to assist the USS Apgar and ensure that the medical supplies are delivered to the destination.  However your role is more critical.  Intel has tracked this group and believe they are using the independent spaceport of Miranda VII as a base of operations.

Any: ?

Taybrim: The overall goal is to prevent this group from launching any further attacks on Utopia or any other colony.  But you will be in separate groups each with a specific goal.  Commander DeVeau, you will work with Counselor Yael and Doctor Bailey to open up negotiations with this group.  We’re not sure that it’s actually Terra Prime.  This group could have a completely different agenda.  Your primary goal is to gather as much information from the splinter group through diplomatic means and reach a diplomatic solution if possible.

DeVeau/Yael/Bailey: ?

Taybrim: If a diplomatic solution is not possible, disengage and stay safe.

DeVeau/Yael/Bailey: ?

Taybrim: Major Tatash, Commander Kasun, Lieutenant Taelon and Ensign Amaase – your main objective is to find the fighter ships that are housed or docked at Miranda VII and prevent them from launching an attack.  You are authorized to use sabotage if necessary.

And he had a sinking feeling that it would ne necessary.

Tatash/Kasun/Taelon/Amaase: ?

Taybrim: I prefer you working in two teams of two each.  You can plan your approach and teams as you prefer.  ::he passed a PADD over.:: Here is all of the information Starfleet intel could gather on the attacking ships so you can match the ships as you find them.

Tatash/Kasun/Taelon/Amaase: ?

Taybrim: Commander McLaren, you’ll be working with Lieutenant Blackwell and Commander Nijil.  Your role is to infiltrate Miranda VII and gain as much information on the splinter group as possible.  Confirm if it is actually Terra Prime and what relationship they have – if any – with the Orion Syndicate.

McLaren/Blackwell/Nijil: ?

Taybrim: The MTF Maximum Thrusters and any independent ship we have in impound is at your disposal.

McLaren/Blackwell/Nijil: ?

Taybrim: Commander Dal, you will be in command of the USS Rahuba.  You will take the crew, launch any undercover vessels outside of sensor range and approach Miranda VII with the diplomacy team.

Dal had chosen the Rahuba over the Aegis, which Sal had initially suggested.  It was a scrappy vessel, one that Sal was pleased to see in service.

Dal: Understood, Commodore.

Taybrim: You’ll have Ensign Talas and Commander Maxwell with you.  It is critical that you prevent any splinter group ships from launching an attack on the USS Apgar.

Talas/Maxwell: ?

He cast a gaze towards Talas, and then Maxwell in particular.

Taybrim: And by the rings, may there not be any cloaked vessels from former enemies helping this group.  But if there is you call StarBase 118 right away and we’ll send support.

Talas/Maxwell: ?

Taybrim: Are there any questions?

Any: ?

((OOC – will add here if there are questions))

Taybrim: The USS Rahuba is fully stocked for this mission, you’ll need to pull your preferred undercover vessel and launch as soon as possible.  You’ll have time to prepare once you’re underway.

Any: ?

Taybrim: I wish you all the best and I know you will overcome these challenges

He smiled softly, feeling like a father who was watching his children grow up a little.  Sad that he wouldn’t be right there with them and yet proud of all he knew the could accomplish.

Any: ?

~*~
Tags/tbc
~*~
OOC – yes, I will be simming Commander Dal as my primary character for this mission
~*~
Commodore Sal Taybrim
Commanding Officer

StarBase 118 Ops

"Why do we fly? Because we have dreamt of it for so long that we must"

~Julian Beck

E239010ST0