JP: Commodore Taybrim & Lt. Cmdr. DeVeau - Awards and Accolades - Part 2

Jamie LeBlanc

Jun 20, 2021, 1:56:53 AM6/20/21
to SB118

((Main Ballroom - Resort - Virixis VI))

Sal drew in a long breath and then checked the list, smiling softly again.  Each of these teams had been through so much and he was so proud of them.  It was difficult for him to even express his pride.  But he did understand the magnitude of what they had accomplished.

Taybrim: Lieutenant Yael, if you could please join me?

Yael: ?

Taybrim: Lieutenant, you alongside Lieutenant Parvana also completed a difficult infiltration mission and you beamed down halfway through to support the strike team after Marine Captain Meeks was injured.  You did a tremendous job leading your team and we recognize your infiltration and intelligence efforts with the Intelligence Star, as well as your leadership and gallantry with the Silver Star.

Yael: ?

It was beginning to become a rhythm.  A call, an approach, and Alora would pin the ribbons upon those who received them.  Yet, each one was hard earned and well deserved.

DeVeau: Ashley, you took control in a very difficult situation.  Without you, things would have turned out a lot different.

Taybrim: Counselor, you went above and beyond.  Thank you so much for the support of Klingon civilians, and your fellow teammates.

Yael: ?

DeVeau: I expected great things of you, my friend.

Alora’s eyes watched Ashley as he returned to his seat, but they were not finished yet.

Drawing himself up he let his eyes settle on a familiar figure.

Taybrim: Lieutenant Taelon, if you could please join me?

Taelon: ?

Taybrim: Lieutenant your work alongside Ensign Galven was instrumental in identifying the cloaked Cultist ships.  You put yourself in danger to support your ship and crew, and in the end the Narendra was able to protect allied ships and get through the battle with minimal damage and no casualties.  For your efforts I recognize your clever scientific work with the Innovation ribbon and your gallantry with the Good Conduct Ribbon.

Sal had a bit of a smile, wondering exactly how many innovation ribbons Taelon had racked up over the years.  Sal wasn’t complaining.  The El Aurian could certainly solve things with science and that was a good way to solve things.

Taelon: ?

Unlike the others who had approached, Taelon was quite a bit taller, forcing the first officer to reach up rather than over.  She did so gladly, however, carefully pinning each one in place before stepping back, her eyes lit with her smile.

DeVeau: Well done, Taelon.

Taybrim: Thank you, my friend, for always having a clever solution that saves our ship.  You cannot know how much I appreciate it.  ::he said with a deep, fond earnesty.::

Taelon: ?

There were still more.  Alora eyed each of the boxes that remained on the table.  So many honours, just a small token for what the crewmembers had done, what they had achieved.

Next Sal looked back to the other members of the Strike Team.

Taybrim: If Ensign Drevas Matthel could please join me?

Drevas: ?

Taybrim: Ensign, you performed well on the strike team, and exhibited considerable gallantry when attacked by hostile cult forces.  Moreover your actions saved the life of your fellow officer Lieutenant Parvana.  You did extremely well, Ensign and I want to recognize your bravery with the Silver Star and your efforts in the field with the Silver Lifesaving Ribbon.

Drevas: ?

Deveau: Thank you for your bravery, particularly in the face of what you had to endure.

Pins were added to Drevas’ shirt and only then did Alora step back, though her smile never faded.

Taybrim: ::Sal smiled encouragingly:: It is no small deed to save another’s life.  I am so proud of you, Ensign.

Drevas: ?

He looked up again and called forward another fresh young face who had done so well on the mission.

Taybrim: Ensign Andrews, if you could please join us?

Andrews: ?

And here, Alora came face to face with someone that she didn’t know quite so well, but had heard good things of in the reports that had followed the mission.  She readied the ribbons, watching the bald security officer as he approached.

Taybrim: Ensign Andrews, your fellow team members recognized you as an up and coming leader on the strike team.  You kept a cool head, protected your fellow team mates and helped to lead a group of children to safety while protecting then from the cult.  For your gallantry I recognize you with the Silver Star, and for your leadership and ability to work with our Klingon allies I recognize your work with the Diplomacy Ribbon.

Andrews: ?

DeVeau: Well done Ensign.  It is not an easy thing to convince a Klingon that charging into battle isn’t the best course of action.

Taybrim: Ensign, you exceeded expectations for your first mission and I am so happy that you are part of our crew.

Andrews: ?

DeVeau: We are very fortunate to have you as part of our crew.

Taking a moment, he sucked in a breath through his teeth.  These next awards became more difficult.  There was another glance from Alora and she canted her head slightly, but said nothing.  No one was going to interrupt the Commodore, but she knew what was coming, and why he hesitated.  The box was opened as he called out to the next officers.

Taybrim: Will Commander Maxwell and Lieutenant Bailey please join me?

Bailey/Maxwell: ?

Sal’s voice turned soft, sober.  He could feel his chest clench as he spoke.

Taybrim: I have mixed feelings on the fact that Starfleet has awards for pain and suffering.  I do not like to hail this as a good thing, and yet I do feel it is important to recognize when someone has endured a terrible hardship and come through it.  You were both taken prisoner by the Cult and put on trial, an ordeal that I can barely imagine.  You conducted yourself with honor and helped protect an integral ally - Janul.  For this you are both recognized with the Prisoner of War Ribbon and the Purple Heart.

His least favorite ribbons, by far.  But important ones nonetheless.

Bailey/Maxwell: ?

Alora’s smile dimmed, far more sober than before.  These were not ribbons that indicated a reason to rejoice, but they were something to acknowledge what the officers had suffered and endured.  For each of them, she presented the awards in solemn silence, though each of them received a gentle squeeze of the hand to accompany it.

Turning back to Sal, she could sense the change that had come over him, and briefly her hand brushed his arm, an attempt to comfort, but there were still more people to acknowledge.  Her hand dropped to clasp her other as she waited for him to continue.

Taybrim: I wish I could take that pain away for you.  But I am so glad that you both are still here with us.  Thank you for being strong.

Bailey/Maxwell: ?

It wasn’t over yet.  The joy of the awards had shifted to something far more sobering, and it was taking its toll upon the Commodore.  But Alora focused on the two who were being honoured in that moment.

DeVeau: You two have been through so much.  Thank you for your service, despite the hardships.

Another deep breath.  These kept getting harder.

Taybrim: Major Tatash, if you could please join me?

Tatash: ?

Taybrim: Major, your role in this was not only a perfect stealth infiltration but also as a protector.  We would not have survived the altercation with Kelemkor if you had not been there.  Commander DeVeau and I owe you our lives.  For your infiltration work that successfully got a marine into the High Council chambers, I recognize you with the Intelligence Star.  And for your protective actions that put your life at risk and saved your companions, I recognize you with the Distinguished Service Ribbon.

Again, not his first.  Not even his second.  Sal was starting to worry at the number of times his good friends and celebrated crew had put their lives on the line.

Tatash: ?

Once again, Alora had to reach up, her hands carefully placing the awards upon the breast of the Gorn who had so willingly protected them from a giant of a Klingon.

Taybrim: I cannot thank you enough Major.  ::he murmured, still remembering their conversation on the ridge.::

Tatash: ?

DeVeau: Thank you for risking your life to protect ours.  I am forever in your debt.

A deep breath.

Taybrim: And finally, Commander DeVeau.

&

Lt. Cmdr. Alora DeVeau

First Officer

Starbase 118 Ops

al...@blar.net

M239008AD0

"Why do we fly? Because we have dreamt of it for so long that we must"

~Julian Beck

E239010ST0