LtCmdr Nijil - Meetings are Long

Noelle Motuelle

Oct 18, 2021, 1:35:59 AM10/18/21
to SB118 Ops

((Starbase 118 - Commodore’s Briefing Room))

There are some things that have never changed. A person’s attitude towards something they found unpleasant was one of them. Nijil had been asked to take part in today’s briefing; these meetings were not his favorites. Even more so after the long months of nothing but these wretched meetings. Nijil didn’t protest, however. Just showed up along with everyone else.

The cranky, snarky Rekarian had expected the new leadership role with the Arch Angle’s. The role was made available after Commander Dal had accepted his new position. It suited him, however. His years of work as a field medic were put to better use. He liked it too. WHich made it less work.

The Briefing room smelled like food, like a lot of food. Sweets and savory and robust coffee filled the air and made the work before them more tolerable. He nodded to the commodore and made his way to get coffee and a bagel - one of the foods he missed while away - and take a seat. He no longer had to sit up toward the head of the table, which he was pleased about. Instead he sat in the back.

Taybrim: I want to thank everyone for joining me so early.  We have quite a few things to go through, but I am glad that we could take the chance to gather.  ::He smiled readily and stood at the front of the table.:: I wanted to start by recognizing the actions taken by this crew to protect innocent civilians, rescue fellow crewmates and to bring a bunch of opportunistic pirates to justice.  To recognize the tremendous dangers and heroic acts taken by everyone who was miniaturized and taken by pirates, Starfleet recognizes Alora DeVeau, Arturo Maxwell, Ishani Kasun, Isaiah Andrews, Drevas Matthel, Prudence Blackwell, Ariana Amaase, Sheila Bailey, Ashley Yael and Tatash with the Prisoner of War ribbon.  ::He paused, personally giving a gaze to each and every person.:: I am never happy to give such awards because they ride on the back of traumatic experiences, but you all were incredibly brave in the face of adversity and I am very proud to say that you persevered and overcame, protecting the civilians you had with you.

Any: ?

Taybrim: Furthermore I want to recognize those who went above and beyond.  Sheila Bailey, for being a voice of calm in the storm and helping keep your civilian companion safe and grounded, I am proud to recognize you with the Unity Ribbon.

Rewarded for their work and dedication. Rewarded for their above and beyond gut, bravery and work. There was no doubt that this crew put their lives on the line for civilians, each other and for the good of the Federation. Star Fleet was unbelievably fortunate to have such people to wear their uniform with pride and fortitude. They believed in what they did and what they fought for. As the old  Terran saying went, Freedom isn’t free.

Nijil listened to all the heroics of the crew, looking over each person who was called out. It was curious to see how they reacted to praise. It was also a chance to see how each felt about what they had endured. He seemed to pick up some of the stronger feelings, by what he assumed was their body language. Though a headache seemed to threaten its presence at the same time. He wondered if he was actually dieing a painful, slow death at this rate…::

Then there was a different vibe, one that had him look up at Sal…

That smile…

He didn’t like it. He narrowed his eyes a bit as if trying to read Sal’s mind.

Taybrim: I have two warm welcomes.  Please welcome back Lt Commander Nijil, who returns from his extended mission to Rekarian space.  Nijil, I am so glad to have you back with us.

He should have known. He huffed, though it wasn’t a frustrated one, it was one of acceptance.

Nijil: I am thrilled to be back. ::his tone gave way just how true that was.::

Any: ?

It was short and sweet and not too much. Just the way he liked it. Sal moved on, introducing others and handing out those last few congrats.

The winds of change were in the air, Nijil knew that the big announcement was going to be today as. The hope was that no one felt as if the rug had been pulled out from under them.

Taybrim: And next I have a fairly major update for everyone.  ::he drew in a breath:: I have had a lot of conversations after the last mission, some with you, some with Admiral Hauke, many with the up and coming leadership of StarBase 118.  It is clear that with our last mission to Qo’noS my role in sector politics and leadership has changed.  This is only reinforced by my rank of Commodore.  And I can either rail against it and become an ever growing target for easy assassination, or I can accept it and start to make a transition.  And I don’t like to fight against fate.  ::A pause, he let that sink in.:: Make no mistake, I am not leaving any of you, nor will I be leaving StarBase 118.  But, my hand needs to focus on sectorwide issues.  Politics between the Klingon Empire, the Romulans, the Gorn Hegemony, the Independent Sectors and the ever present Orion Syndicate are still heated, and while war was averted, there is still a delicate balance in the Trinity Sector and much of that balance rests upon us.  So, it is now my job as Sector Command to rest that concern on my shoulders.

And there it was. Nijil rubbed at his temples as the headache creeped in further. Luckily he came prepared, just something to take the edge off. He downed the ibuprofen with a sip of coffee, his hands lingered around the warm mug.

Nijil and Sal both knew this crew could handle the big change. They had to really.

Any: ?

Taybrim: We still need day to day heroes to rescue civilians from pirates, investigate shenanigans, provide relief efforts and all the things we do when we’re not meddling in quadrant-wide politics.  And to address this – I am officially placing Commander Ishreth Dal as Commanding officer of StarBase 118 under my supervision.  Commander Dal and Commander DeVeau will handle the day to day operations of the StarBase, including your upcoming mission.

Any: ?

Taybrim: Before we begin the briefing, I wanted to give some time for you to ask questions.  I hope this transition does not seem like too much of a shock, but I want to make it as smooth as possible.

Taelon: So, are you - when we leave on missions, you’ll be staying behind?

And here came the inquiries. It was hard to accept the change one could wrap their minds around. ANd someone, who was there and dependable and their leader no longer being out on the front lines with them was very hard to comprehend.

Taybrim: I will be staying on StarBase 118 for some missions, yes.  ::he offered a smile:: Don’t worry.  Other missions are still under my purview so you’re not getting rid of me quite yet.

Taelon/Any: ?

Tatash: We’ll try harder

Taybrim: I wanted to thank you both again for your assistance last mission.  You both did a tremendous job.  And, I’m not sure if this is good news or bad news, but you both will be staying here on StarBase 118 with me for the upcoming mission.  I recommended you both to Admiral Hauke for some security upgrades to our transport lanes and she’s very interested in having you both work on the taskforce.  It’s an important job and I’m sure you will both shine on that project.

Drevas: This says to get to work immediately – permission to be dismissed, sir?

Andrews: ?

As someone who had been there, sent off on his own, he knew the mixed feelings. Though he’d never admit it openly. They waited as the pair made their way out. The mission briefing was about to begin, which meant the crew left needed to focus on that solely.

Taybrim: So, let me give a quick overview.  Six days ago the Federation freighter FIS Zarmaeon experienced critical engine failure and exploded in the atmosphere of Astraemin V, home of Utopia Colony.  The Zarmaeon was carrying chemicals for terraforming and a number of common but volatile substances.  ::He drew in a deep breath and let everyone process that.:: This filled the atmosphere of Astraemin with poison and the Utopia Colony called Starfleet for aid.  As the nearest base, we were easily able to replicate the necessary anti-toxin and immediately sent a Federation medical frigate to aid the colony.

It made sense now, why he was asked to sit in this mission. He chewed over the bit of information handed to them. But he knew too well that it wasn’t all there was to it.

Taybrim: However, the frigate was attacked by pirates and its entire cargo load was stolen.  Very brash of someone to attack a Federation frigate in federation space.  So Starfleet sent the USS Apgar with a second load of medicine from StarBase 118 two days ago.  ::He sighed, readying them for the dark punchline.:: The Apgar was attacked and shot down.  They managed to make an emergency landing on Vestis VII and sent a distress call.  That’s when starfeet intel became heavily involved.

Taybrim: Intel intercepted an independent medical trader on StarBase 118 trying to tamper with the relief supplies, and after interrogation found several useful leads.  Which brings us to where we are now.  ::Another breath.  This was not the best of news.  Then again any time a group was interfering with medical aid it was never a good situation.:: while unconfirmed, Starfleet Intel has a strong suspicion that the freighter explosion as well as the subsequent attacks have been orchestrated by the splinter group calling themselves Terra Prime..

Any: ?

Taybrim: I am sending the USS Avalon A to assist the USS Apgar and ensure that the medical supplies are delivered to the destination.  However your role is more critical.  Intel has tracked this group and believe they are using the independent spaceport of Miranda VII as a base of operations.

Any: ?

Taybrim: The overall goal is to prevent this group from launching any further attacks on Utopia or any other colony.  But you will be in separate groups each with a specific goal.  Commander DeVeau, you will work with Counselor Yael and Doctor Bailey to open up negotiations with this group.  We’re not sure that it’s actually Terra Prime.  This group could have a completely different agenda.  Your primary goal is to gather as much information from the splinter group through diplomatic means and reach a diplomatic solution if possible.

They began to get divided into groups, each with their own task. He listened, grateful that his headache had eased off some. The last thing he needed was to be in pain when needing to focus at the task at hand.

Taybrim: Commander McLaren, you’ll be working with Lieutenant Blackwell and Commander Nijil.  Your role is to infiltrate Miranda VII and gain as much information on the splinter group as possible.  Confirm if it is actually Terra Prime and what relationship they have – if any – with the Orion Syndicate.

He raised an eyebrow. Back to Miranda VII. Last time he was there, they had chased down a traitor and ended up in a fire fight in the docking bay. The slimy, cockroach establishment overfilled with criminals and the sleezie many.

Nijil: Understood. ::he nodded.::

McLaren/Blackwell: ?

Taybrim: The MTF Maximum Thrusters and any independent ship we have in impound is at your disposal.

He nodded. There was a unique perk to being on such a station versus a ship. Impound.

McLaren/Blackwell: ?

Taybrim: Commander Dal, you will be in command of the USS Rahuba.  You will take the crew, launch any undercover vessels outside of sensor range and approach Miranda VII with the diplomacy team.

Dal had chosen the Rahuba over the Aegis, which Sal had initially suggested.  It was a scrappy vessel, one that Sal was pleased to see in service.

Dal: Understood, Commodore.

There were a few more tasks dished out. A slight murmur began as teams whispered to one another in early preparation. Nijil had worked with Sol more then a few times, he knew the white haired woman well enough. Though he hadn’t worked with Blackwell as often. Not often enough to refer to her by the first name.

Taybrim: Are there any questions?

Any: ?

((OOC – will add here if there are questions))

Taybrim: The USS Rahuba is fully stocked for this mission, you’ll need to pull your preferred undercover vessel and launch as soon as possible.  You’ll have time to prepare once you’re underway.

Any: ?

Taybrim: I wish you all the best and I know you will overcome these challenges

And that was that. It was time to get to work.

((OOC Will continue Sol/Blackwell scene in another sim!))

~~

LtCmdr Nijil

Starbase 118 - Ops

USS Narendra

A239202RH0

Lieutenant Commander Rustyy Hael

Engineering Officer

Starbase 118 Ops

USS Narendra

A239202RH0

~~

"I may not be the brightest pickle in the bunch... But at least I'm not the dillest either." - Me... Because I'm ~that~ cheesy