Lieutenant Sheila Bailey - Lost in thought (Nalni/Casparian)

1 view

Aly Drolet

Oct 27, 2020, 10:15:38 PM10/27/20
to sb11...@googlegroups.com

((Promenade, StarBase 118))

Casparian: Sure, I can skip one day and try something else. ::points at Nalni’s breathing device:: Nalni, forgive my directness, but what is that for?

Sheila had hardly noticed the device around Nalni’s neck. Sure Sheila was good at spotting individuals who used assistive devices. Some hid better than others. Oftentimes she didn’t see them until they were pointed out. Even then she didn’t think it mattered why someone had or didn’t have the tech. Of course she would want to know but it wasn’t always her place.

Nalni: Oh this? ::referring to her device:: Due to my planet's conditions, Barzans became so accustomed to the rather obtuse atmosphere that wherever we go, we have to wear it.

Casparian: Did you get it recently? I noticed that you keep fiddling with it.

She understood what that was like. It seemed based on Nalni’s explanation that she didn’t need it on her home world. Sheila was in the same boat. Back home she could be herself without the braces, the crutches, the wheelchair. Frankly with them, being here in Starfleet, was often better than going back to whatever situation would greet her back home.

Bailey: It might just take some getting used to.

Nalni: I think it's broken. Matter of fact, I was talking with Counselor Yael and he said to talk with you, Sheila.

Bailey: I do have a degree in biomedical engineering.

Casparian: Hmm, ::frowns an eyebrow:: the atmosphere on the StarBase is pretty variable, more so than on a planet or star ship. Perhaps with some tuning it could be made to self adjust automatically.

Nalni: I'm sure an engineer with such a high level of expertise such as yourself would be a great help, Romyana. ::smiles::

Casparian: Ah, thank you for the compliment. ::beams a smile back at the Barzan woman:: It is only an idea though. Let’s see if it is actually possible before cheering!

Bailey: ::Quietly:: Never hurts to have hope.

Sheila pulled her purple sweater around herself suddenly experiencing slight shivers as she walked slowly, one crutch in front of the other; something that wasn’t normal for her. Back on Elaysia most never experience cold weather unless it was the dead of winter in the middle of the rainy season. Even then one mostly felt extremely hot, flushed during that time of year despite the slight drop in temperature. Since coming to Starbase 118 the temperature had been constant other than a few exceptions. Only ever cold when someone actively termed down the temperature. This made sweaters more a comfort than an act of warmth.

Casparian: But first… we eat!

Bailey: Food is always a good first option.

Nalni seemed a little shy. If it was her talking time to warm up to people staying quiet was understandable.

Casparian: I haven’t tried Betazoid food yet, I believe there is a nice place somewhere… ::walks out in front of the two other women and looks down a little cul-de-sac:: ...right here.... Yes, here it is!

Bailey: Don’t think I’ve ever had Betazoid Cuisine before.

Nalni: There’s a fairly big buffet next to the Academy that had all sorts of food. Including Betazoid cuisine.

Sadly Bailey had not bothered to try the daring, exotic cuisine during her time at the academy. More often than not Sheila had stuck to the simple foods of her homeworld and Earth; she still did on some level.

((SB118 - Promenade - Tiny Betazoid bistro))

The establishment was tucked away in the far corner. It was only a small place with no more than 4 tables and hardly any space to navigate in between them. Looking at the space around her Bailey took note of the tight space. If the food was any good she would have to come back with her crutches. The place was not at all friendly to wheelchair use.

As soon as the three officers came in they were greeted by a Betazoid man who pointed them to a table laid for three.

Betazoid waiter: You ladies would like to try a bit of everything? To sample the menu?

Casparian: Well, eh… I was exactly thinking this, yes. ::raises her eyebrows at her two companions:: What about you Nalni, Bailey? You agree?

Bailey: I’m fine with whatever you two want.

Nalni: I agree if the waiter doesn’t refer to us as ladies again.

Casparian: Response

The waiter nodded walking back towards the small back kitchen. He’d be back soon enough however it gave the three of them a rather good chance to get to know one another some more. Despite that Bailey wasn’t what Nalni’s comment meant. Maybe she would understand it better after having gotten to know the new officer.

Bailey: I’m always up for experiencing new cultures. ::A stock answer::

Nalni: I do apologize for the way I spoke to the waiter. ::smirks:: Did you see the look on his face though? ::covers her mouth, trying not to laugh::

Casparian: Response

For a brief moment there was only silence before Sheila gave a half hearted attempt at conversation. She hardly knew what to converse about other than pulling from a list of stock questions and answers; the sort that one could predict on being part of the conversation. A way to break the ice, get the conversation going.

Bailey: So tell me Romy, Nalni, how have you two been liking shore leave? Do anything interesting?

Casparian: Response

Nalni: Just getting used to my new posting here on the base. I’ve met Doctor Foster and Counselor Yael.

Bailey: ::nodding:: Oh, fine men. Been on the station long?

Casparian: Response

Nalni: Well, I got here right at the end of the mission when I saw this Denobulan male steal a shuttle and nearly died grabbing the last remaining survivors before the Borg ship exploded. What was his name?

Bailey: German Galven. ::The name was spoken just barely above a whisper. Quiet yet still loud enough to be heard::

Sheila internally sighed. Last she had seen German he had walked off after they created their anti-borg vaccination. The Denobulan to her had acted in a hurry, having a lot on his mind. Sheila only hoped, yet again, that whatever he was going through, whatever struggle or hardship he was facing, that he would come out on the other side of it stronger. Yet it did make her wonder if he would end up like her sisters. Someone lost to the struggles of life. A disconnect in their relationship.

Casparian: Response

Nalni: Commander DeVeau was pretty shaken up, but I don’t really know because I was a little upset when she… Oh, look at me gossiping. What’s been your favorite memory here?

Casparian: Response

Bailey: Oh sorry, think I was lost in thought there.

Nalni/Casparian: Response

Bailey: Oh umm. I really don’t think I can say. Not explored the station much. Been to my quarters, the holodeck and sickbay, that’s about it.

Nalni/Casparian: Response

Bailey: I was eyeing the window display of one of the nearby shops earlier. Might be nice to explore at least the shops if I had some company.

Nalni/Casparian: Response

Bailey: What about you guys? I’d love to have you join me sometime.

Nalni/Casparian: Response

Lieutenant Sheila Bailey

Assistant Chief Medical Officer

Starbase 118 Ops

M239512BG0

No woman should ever suffer at the hands of men - Sara Lance; Legends Of Tomorrow