Lt. Cmdr. German Galven & Lt. Cmdr. Alora DeVeau - "Wandering Pet, Wonderous Plants" (Part I)

Amanda Nordstrom

Jul 18, 2020, 1:08:45 AM7/18/20
to StarBase 118 Ops – UFOP: StarBase 118

((Starbase 118 Ops - German Galven’s Quarters))

The cat was curled up in the middle of the couch.  She was a colourful creature, patches of brown and black on a background of white.  When the man entered, she opened a single eye, that of a brilliant blue.  The other opened to reveal another just as glittering and she lifted her head.  Immediately, a rumbling purr emanated from her petite form, and her eyes half closed, her mouth seemed to curl up as if she were ‘smiling’ at the Denobulan.

German had just arrived at his quarters after a long day. He glanced around looking for his mother, but she seemed to be away at the moment. Such a relief as he walked over towards the kitchen to grab a bottle of Loatac Cider, then poured it into a glass. After he set down the bottle on the counter, he took the glass and just started to sip every now and then until he felt something rub against his leg.

Galven: Hmm? Curious. What’s your name?

The little creature didn’t offer much in an answer, save for a squeaky form of ‘meow’.

Galven: Oh, so you’re not a Caitian. ::rubs his ridged chin:: A Terran housecat, I presume?

The rumbling purr only increased in its vibrato, and the tip of her tail twitched as if teasing the Denobulan.

He wasn’t really an expert on animals and trying to figure out what a non speaking species wants that can’t do itself was a rather strange conundrum.

Galven: Are you hungry?

The cat rose and stretched, claws extending for a brief moment, sharp teeth making their debut  as the cat’s bottom jutted into the air.  After she was finished, she sat down and calmly began to lick her left front paw.

Galven: Oh, you’re dirty. Well, then let me get you a bowl of water.

He turned to the replicator and requested the items. Once it materialized, he set it down on the floor and was curious if that would do anything so he picked up the cat and then placed it on the floor next to the bowl of water.

The cat glanced up at German, as if she wasn’t sure whether or not she particularly cared for his action, but evidently decided that she’d be willing to forgive him.  She lowered her head to sniff at the water, then daintily began to lap it up.  After a moment, she straightened up and gazed up at the scientist, licking her lips.

Galven: I don’t know much about this, but maybe you want to be pat?

He raised his hand and then brushed his hand along her fur, then started to scratch the ear.

Galven: How’s this? Am I doing this right?

The resumption of the purring indicated that yes, indeed, he was doing it right.  She leaned her head into his hand, pressing firmly and insistently as he scritched.  Then, she flopped over and exposed her belly, eyes half closed, still purring.

Galven: ::chuckles:: Apparently so.

The feline rolled over to the other side, then stood up, the tip of her tail twitching at the tip.  Then she trotted over and around to the other side of the couch.

Galven: I’m going to see who has a cat in the database.

He walked up to head over to the desk and grabbed a PADD. The cat jumped up onto the desk and patted at the PADD with her paw.

Feline: Mrrrow.

Galven: I’m looking for your owner. Do you know their name?

She leaped from the desk to Galven’s shoulder, perching there with a precise balance, her petite size an advantage for such a vantage point. German was pretty impressed by the level of acrobatic movement.

Galven: Computer. Which of the senior crew has a cat or cats.

After the computer chirped and ran through a list of people, he had a really good idea on who this might belong to. He glanced at the cat and studied it in the mirror across the way.

Galven: You seem like a DeVeau kind of cat. Am I warm or cold?

The cat gave no indication.  Instead, she placed one paw, then another on Galven’s head.  Still balancing her back feet on German’s shoulder, she pushed herself to rest her forepaws on his head, as if trying to get a better vantage point, perhaps to even consider whether or not she could fully jump on his head and perch there.  She must have decided that was not a wise decision, for she resumed her previous position and sniffed his ear.

Galven: ::smirks:: That tickles. ::taps his commbadge:: =/\= Galven to DeVeau. =/\=

DeVeau: =/\= Alora here.=/\=

The cat yawned, then jumped down.

Galven: Hey, get back over here. =/\= Alora, do you have a cat that is white, black, and brown? I have somewhat of a feline home invasion. =/\=

The cat paused to shoot Galven a look of amusement on her feline face.  Then she trotted over to the couch, then around it.

DeVeau: =/\= Wait...what?=/\=

Galven: =/\= I have a cat burglar who is literally a cat. =/\=

DeVeau: =/\= Sachiko is in your quarters?  Oh boy, she’s doing it again. =/\=

Galven: =/\= Sachiko? Doing what exactly? =/\= Sachiko? Where are you?

He walked to the last place he saw it and went over to the couch, pushing it away from the wall and then looked around the open floor space. Except Sachiko wasn’t there.  Not behind the couch, under the couch, around the couch.  Not anywhere.

DeVeau: =/\=She’s a regular Harry Houdini.=/\=

Galven: =/\= Is that your other cat’s name? =/\=

DeVeau: =/\= Oh, he was this famous magician, illusionist in the late 19th century.  He was particularly known for escaping from dangerous situations - which he put himself into in order to wow audiences who would pay to see it.  So anytime someone is good at getting out of places one doesn’t expect, they’re often called ‘Harry Houdini’.  Sachiko is a pretty good escape artist herself. =/\=

Galven: =/\= Well, it appears she vanished again because I can't find her. Anyways, when you see her again, let her know that she’s always welcome and she can bring her owner too. =/\=

Alora sighed, but there was a humoured smile on her face.

DeVeau: =/\=That’s Sachiko. I’m not sure how she does it, but she’s a slippery little thing.  She’ll be back, I’m certain.  And thank you for the invitation.=/\=

Galven: ::chuckles:: =/\= I mean, do you have any plants or flowers that I could have? My place does need some. =/\=

DeVeau: =/\=Actually, you’re on my list of people to visit for that reason!=/\=

Galven: =/\= That's great! Do you have a variety? =/\=

DeVeau: =/\=Yes, I do indeed.  I gave away some yesterday and was hoping to get around to others today - including you.  What colours do you prefer?=/\=

Galven: =/\= I'm not picky. =/\=

DeVeau: =/\=Well, I can bring my cart of babies by, or you can come by my place and pick out some, whatever you prefer!=/\=

Galven: =/\= Making me decide, eh? ::chuckles:: I'll come over in about half an hour. Need to get a couple things done and then freshen up. =/\=

DeVeau: =/\=And if you’re lucky, Sachiko will be back.  You don’t have to freshen up on my account, though.

Galven: =/\= I don't want to come over smelling like a targ, Alora. I mean, I don't want you and those plants to pass out as soon as I come inside. =/\=

Musical laughter rippled through the commlink.  Well, he supposed to had a point, and she did appreciate his willingness not to stink up her quarters.

DeVeau: =/\=You do what you think is best, then.  Though even if you do smell like a targ, you’re welcome here.=/\=

Galven: =/\= Whatever you say, Commander. ::he was using his teasing voice:: Galven out! =/\=

-----

Lt. Commander German Galven

2O/Chief Science Officer

StarBase 118 - USS Narendra