Commodore Taybrim - Safe Distance

Jamie LeBlanc

Aug 4, 2022, 10:10:58 PMAug 4
to SB118

((USS Narendra, Bridge))

Moving away from the away teams and fifteen thousand innocent people who still needed to evacuate.

It was terrifying.  It sounded terrible to leave people on their own.

And yet the risk of the two ships colliding drastically increased as they came closer to the impulse drive shut down on the Belladonna.  And that put another twelve thousand on the Narendra at risk.

There was a primal fear in leaving someone behind.

And a very real risk in staying.

Sal believed in trust.  He trusted the people on the Belladonna, from Captain Leski to Ensign Renot.  He had to allow trust to overwhelm fear.

Taybrim: I know. If they shift power I cannot guarantee we’ll be able to match every nuance. But it will also delay evacuation and leave some of our team stranded.

Tito: We still need one of our Engineers onboard to work the transporters.

Taybrim: We do.  If we need to we can do an emergency transport before we move.

Aristren: What other options do we have?

Tito: Perhaps we should see how the disarming team is doing, if they manage to take out the bomb that will help with the Belladonna’s speed problem.

Sal held his breath slightly.

It was less about the bomb on the warp core and more about the extremely delicate task of staying within the Belladonna’s warp bubble.  In many ways Zel was too good of a helmsman.  He made it seem smooth and easy, so no one else was aware of the terrible danger they were in.

It was all about weighing risks and making decisions based on those risks.  Which all too often made his decisions look cruel to an outside observer.

Just like Meryel.

Taybrim: We can contact the disarming team, but the impulse shut down will still cause a change in speed, whether it is faster or slower because of the power shift.  This is almost imperceptible in normal flight.  But a joined warp bubble is not a normal flight.

This was such a rare occurrence that there was no fear of collision in anyone else’s mind.  Only Sal had extensively read about combined warp bubbles.

And saw the horrifying explosion when two ships collided.

That lingered in his mind.

Tito: What else can we do, Commodore?

Taybrim: Slower doesn’t mitigate the risk of collision.  A steady speed and steady course is the only things that will keep us safe in this warp bubble.  Any change whatsoever puts us at risk for a collision.

Aristren: We cannot, in fact, match your experience, Commodore, so I am inclined to rely on it.

Tito: ?

Taybrim: Yes, I agree, let’s talk to our team before I make the final call.

They had enough time for that.  To get a potentially critical piece of information.  To set minds at ease at the final course of action.

Aristen/Tito: ?

Oh, an incoming call before they had a chance to reach out?  Maybe – just maybe – fate was on their side a little.

Taybrim: Put them though.

It was only a second or two later before the line connected.

Sherlock: =/\= Sherlock to Taybrim. =/\=

Taybrim: =/\= Taybrim here, Lieutenant. =/\=

His response was immediate and curious.

Sherlock: =/\= We've got some good news, Commodore. The bomb is deactivated. =/\=

Taybrim: =/\= That is excellent news!=/\=

Luthas: =/\= It’s no longer technically live FYI but the explosives and tri cobalt are still here. If they’re shot they’d still be set off. =/\=

Taybrim: =/\= Still, a good outcome for now, it gives the Belladonna maneuvering ability.=/\=

Sherlock: =/\= Recommend we transport the tricobalt and explosives off the Belladonna as well. =/\=

He rocked on his feet, considering.  This was where Tito’s transwarp could do the most good.

Taybrim: =/\= We have a working theory on how we can complete that safely. =/\=

Luthas: =/\= Once the bomb is transported, what do you want us to do? =/\=

Taybrim: =/\= The Belladonna should drop speed so we can assess the damage.  But, the Narendra should leave the Belladonna’s warp bubble before there is any change in the impulse power or change in speed.  Otherwise we risk a collision=/\=

Sherlock: =/\= ?

Someone else was talking to them – probably one of the engineers on the Belladonna.  Sal waited and then answered.

Taybrim: =/\= In order to teleport the bomb off the ship we need a transwarp capable engineer.  Is Ensign Renot available? =/\=

Or were either of them skilled in transwarp?  He wasn’t away of that knowing the department specialties of Luthas and Sherlock, but he had been surprised before.

Luthas/Sherlock: ?

Tito/Aristen: ?

Taybrim: =/\= It depends on how critical the impulse drive is.  If the shutdown needs to be immediate, we should move away and then rejoin the warp bubble to pull the bomb off.  Otherwise we could transport the bomb off and then break away. =/\=

Luthas/Sherlock: ?

Tito/Aristen: ?

Taybrim: =/\= Yes, we will detonate the bomb once it is off the Belladonna and everyone is at a safe range.  Preferably we will transfer the evacuees to the Prophecy first.  The Narendra has enough maneuverability to detonate the bomb and move away without being damaged.  But both the Prophecy and the Belladonna need to be far away from the blast radius and shockwave. =/\=

Luthas/Sherlock: ?

Tito/Aristen: ?

Taybrim: =/\= Let me talk to Ensign Renot.  In the meantime, Captain Luthas, can you send the scans of the specific bomb specs to Lieutenant Tito so we can calculate how far we’ll have to be from the bomb when we fire, to be able to escape? =/\=

Luthas/Sherlock: ?

Tito/Aristen: ?

Taybrim: =/\= and we’ll need to know the safe distance for the other ships. =/\=

Luthas/Sherlock: ?

Tito/Aristen: ?

~*~
tags/tbc
~*~

Commodore Sal Taybrim
Commanding officer
StarBase 118 Ops

"Why do we fly? Because we have dreamt of it for so long that we must"

~Julian Beck

E239010ST0