MSNPC Praetor Taron - Blame Game

Jamie LeBlanc

Jan 28, 2023, 11:00:22 PM1/28/23
to SB118

((Conference Room, Starbase 118 Ops))

Taron: I do not like the rhetoric of change for the sake of change. I feel our people grow exhausted by the constant chaos of change. They seek to build on what they know. They need stability for comfort and sanity.

Thus far he had heard R’Val push back against every part of the old ways – the seated power, the structure of the Empire – but not offer a viable alternative.

In his mind, of course the Republic had gained popularity quickly.  After not one but two disasters in the Empire in quick succession the people were frightened and looking for hope.  The Republic offered hope.  They offered a rhetoric of change and the succor of a new beginning while the Empire focused on slow rebuilding.

The Republic was an immediate change.  That was enough to bolster morale for a while.  They struck out on their own and had no need for the slow rebuilding that the empire focused on.  So the Empire was seen as a lumbering old machine, slowly rebuilding itself from its storied foundation into something stronger.  The Republic was a shiny new sports-shuttle, fast and full of promises.

But it had no foundation, it eschewed tradition.  It wasn’t even old enough to be out of the honeymoon period of its formation and the cracks were already showing.  There was no guarantee that the structure the Republic had would stand the test of time.

The Empire had stood the test of time, and continued to do so.

Taron was not a flashy person.  He was not swayed by the shiny and the new.  He placed his loyalty in the tried and true, even when it wasn’t trendy and popular.

Trovek: Something similar has taken place in the Cardassian Union, after the Dominion War. And with Federation influences, changes were made, but much was lost. My question is - what are the things that you,Ambassador, despite your wish for change, want to see preserved?

R’Val: There are many things we seek to preserve, Commander. We have not abandoned mnhei’sahe, what is commonly referred to as the Romulan Way; our sense of honor. Our values do not change, our culture. It can all remain. We only seek to be free of the tyranny and oppression that the Empire had become. I, myself, had to flee into exile simply because I made the mistake of falling in love with a human. In the Republic, I found a restoration of my honor. Something that never would have happened in the Empire. It is true that I still face derision for my choice of mate, but at least I am not facing death for it anymore.

He took in a long slow breath at that and kept his expression neutral.  Almost Vulcan.

So this was personal for her.  She had been wronged by the Empire.  So now she spoke against the Empire.  He found that profound, fascinating and biased.

She was, in many ways, everything she was accusing him of being.

DeVeau: Preserving your people’s culture and fostering positive change do not have to be in conflict with one another.

Taron: Positive change is imperative for regrowth and restoration.  But I also seek to build something from a strong foundation.  Something that is proven to stand the test of time.

Trovek: Preservation is often just as important as change is. Too muchchange at once can lead to radicalisation. Do you see that danger in your specific situation?

He had to admit that the Bajoran officer – Trovek – was not wrong in her comparison of the Empire and the Cardassian Union.  While certainly there were many cultural differences, there were some broad stroke similarities.

Especially when looking at the disasters that tore both apart.

R’Val: This is the claim that Praetor Taron would level at us. Radicals, insurgents, terrorists. But we are far from any of those things. We do wish to preserve our culture, our people. Nothing had changed about that. As I have stated numerous times in the past few minutes, we simply seek to be free of tyranny and oppression. Our people are strong and proud. All of us. We only seek to set aside our form of government for one that is more equal and fair for all our people. Nothing more.

He watched her with a calm expression.

Taron: Radicals, insurgents and terrorists are your words not mine.  I have never levelled these accusations at the Republic.

Because he felt secure in the thought that he didn’t need to.  He felt that with the unstable foundation that the Republic was built on that they would fall apart by themselves.  That they used increasingly radical and desperate acts to maintain their morale and control until they fell under the weight of their own lack of structure.

DeVeau: Is there any common ground you can find in the method of the government as it is now, a foundation you can both agree on and where a new house can be built upon it?

Taron: I would be willing to consider expanding the Senate to allow representation by the factions.

But he would not disband a system that was proven to work.  Proven to build a strong empire, to stand against the Klingons and other threats.

Reform?  Yes.

Discard?  No.

He would not budge on that.

R’Val: Does the Praetor truly deny that our people suffered at the hands of the Tal Shiar, the enforcement division of the Empire? That if we did anything considered against Imperial interests it resulted in some rather severe consequences? Surely the Praetor was not blind to this? Did he never have to step carefully lest he risk imprisonment for himself and his family due to his words or actions?

He gazed at her keenly, wondering what her status and experience was before Hobus, and considered that she was likely extremely privileged to have come into such strong contact with the Tal Shiar.

Trovek: Could you explain your viewpoint on the matter?

Taron: The Tal Shiar is no longer welcome in the Empire.  I am not naïve, I will not say it has gone.  But I do not recognize nor sanction it.  As for my personal experiences, as an outer system command governor, of course I had some pressure from the Tal Shiar as every ranking leader did.  But you, perhaps had far more privilege back then and therefore drew far more focus?

Taron did not believe in an Empire run on fear.

He believed on an Empire run on tradition, on appropriate management of resources, maintaining healthy and strong systems of leadership and practical decision making.

R’Val: And would the Praetor also welcome back the Havrannsu? As equals? Because that is the status they have gained in the Republic. Equals.

DeVeau: How important is this to the Republic?

Taron: I do not believe in the slavery of sentient species.  I do believe in judging by merit.  I cannot sway the opinions of an entire empire in a day.  It will take generations for equality to be recognized.  ::he paused and gazed calmly back at her.:: I question if they are truly equals in your Republic.  Or if that is merely a

Trovek: And is that a matte that needs to be agreed on right away?

R’Val: Unlike with the Vulcans, the Havrannsu are essential to this discussion. They lost their world in the supernova as well. But they were always treated as second class citizens, at best. We used them as warriors because they are good at it, but we never gave them any standing in the Empire. Why do you think they rose up against the Empire and placed their puppet Shinzon as Praetor? We have given them a place in the Republic. You resist change, Praetor, and call it anarchy, but I would argue that change is essential.

And here they were at the beginning again.

Taron’s expression was perhaps most keenly defined as ‘tired.’

He had already decided that R’Val would never change.  Ironically enough.  He didn’t detect any flexibility in her and very quickly he was souring at the idea of making any sort of agreement with the Ambassador.

Because she very keenly struck him as someone who would always move the goalposts.

He might offer an allowance in the hope of coming to an agreement, but he was convinced she would only take it, step back and ask for more.

There would never be enough that he could give to satiate someone like her.

Which made him extremely reluctant to give anything.

DeVeau: Perhaps it would be prudent to take a moment to define some things.

Taron: Perhaps it would.

R’Val:?

DeVeau: First, what do you believe is the role of the government in relation to its people?

He gestured for the Ambassador to go first.

Because he didn’t trust her.  Not one bit.  And he was starting to hold his cards closer and closer to his chest.

R’Val:?

Taron: I believe that a government serves as a foundation for the people as a whole.  That the Empire prospers when the people prosper, and the people prosper when the government is efficient and manages resources and leadership effectively.

DeVeau: What role do you see the citizens playing within that government?

A curious question.

R’Val:?

Taron: An Empire is never of one voice, but many billions all speaking different things at the same time.  One can never legislate to the cacophony.  Nor should the government be pushed by wild swings of emotion and mob mentality.  I feel the voices need to be directed to a leader, that leader distills the will of the people they lead and brings that voice forward to the government.

Stable.  Structured.

Could it be corrupted?  Of course it could.  Everything could be corrupted.  He knew that, but in Taron’s mind the stability and the focus was no much better than the cacophony of chaos.

Trovek: I am seeing some differing opinions here and I am wondering - is this a discussion you can provide a platform for? Agreements are important, yes, but things change. Governments evolve. Can a platform for these discussions be provided? Do new ideas have a room to flourish?

DeVeau/R’Val: ?

Taron: Then what other structure would you propose, Ambassador?

DeVeau/R’Val/Trovek: ?

Taron: And how can you show that it is stable over time?

He kept coming back to that.  Stability.  Efficiency.  Time tested.

He was not a man cloaked in intrigue and shadows.  He was rather plain.  His style of government was focused on using what worked and slowly rebuilding it into something stronger.

DeVeau/R’Val/Trovek: ?

He watched R’Val with a placid expression and shook his head ever so slowly.

Taron: Again, your words, not mine.

He was starting to strongly think that R’Val really didn’t know what she wanted.

Maybe all she wanted to do was blame him for every evil that befell her from the Pre-Hobus empire?

She wouldn’t be the first.  And most likely not the last.

DeVeau/R’Val/Trovek: ?

~*~
tags/tbc
~*~

MSNPC Praetor Taron
Praetor of the Romulan Empire

"Why do we fly? Because we have dreamt of it for so long that we must"

~Julian Beck

E239010ST0

Jamie LeBlanc

Jan 28, 2023, 11:11:27 PM1/28/23
to SB118
OOC - this sounds stupid, but the cat was helping me type by petting his head on my hand while I edited.  And I noticed one of the bits of Taron's dialogue was cut off mid-sentence.  So, if you were wondering what he was saying, well, now here's the whole thing :)

Taron: I do not believe in the slavery of sentient species.  I do believe in judging by merit.  I cannot sway the opinions of an entire empire in a day.  It will take generations for equality to be recognized.  ::he paused and gazed calmly back at her.:: I question if they are truly equals in your Republic.  Or if that is merely a bit of optimistic rhetoric used to convince yourself that you have the moral high ground?

Trovek: And is that a matter that needs to be agreed on right away?