Lt. Cmdr. Alora DeVeau - "Cultural Differences"

Amanda Nordstrom

May 14, 2022, 9:51:32 PM5/14/22
to StarBase 118 Ops – UFOP: StarBase 118

((Starbase 118 - Tressa Park, Trinity City))

Alora brought food. Lots and lots of food. So much food.  Yet, it was all in little packages, enough for each person to have a taste, but not fill up.  Despite that, there was no danger of going hungry, for there were so many dishes that by the end of it all, there would still surely be some left.  She had done that on purpose.

What she set before them wasn’t even all of it.  Oh sure, the chicken and fish and bits and pieces of dishes from various places were quite a few in number, but there were four more left in the cooler.  Those were for later.  Why?  Well those were sugar.  Alora liked sure.  More specifically, she had a particular fondness for *chocolate*, though she enjoyed other kinds of desserts as well.  But the sugar was to be consumed at the epilogue not the first chapter, and thus they would get in their tummies all the *proper* nutrients before tantalising their taste buds with tidbits of sugary joy.

She hadn’t stuck to one type or another.  Various peoples were represented in that repast, including Dal’s own as well as Alora’s.  Then there were the drinks.  Water was always to be had, since life required water to live, but she’d inserted other options as well, namely cider for everyone, but she’d splurged a little bit for her and Ishreth - Altairian grand premier.  It was a lovely, light, slightly sweet and smooth champagne.  Alora didn’t drink much, and she wouldn’t have more than a glass, but it was a special occasion with special people.  Why not live a little?  There was just one more thing that would make it perfect.

DeVeau: Isreth, call me Alora.  I insist.

That.  Ishreth was formality personified.  She knew it had something to do with his upbringing, though she would admit with some shame that she didn’t know all the details because Alora was less well versed in Andorian society than she was in some others.  That she should change, especially considering they were one of the three founding members of the Federation.  That, and now she had a couple of friends with that heritage.

The gentle and friendly demand seemed to shock Tyva, probably because she knew exactly what Alora was asking.  For her, it wasn’t much, and Alora wondered if maybe she requested more than she should have somehow.  Or maybe it had more to do with the sugar than the request.  Alora decided it must the decidedly more important of those two topics.

DeVeau: And don’t worry Tyva, I have some desserts as well, so try what you like, and we’ll make sure to save some for the sugar later.  Perhaps we can even convince your daddy to have a bite or two.

Tyva: I’m not worried!  ::She giggled.:: And that’s a tough challenge, Miss Alora…

Alora glanced at the man, her lips flickering at the corners into a playful smile.

DeVeau: Some challenges are worth taking.

Dal: I’m sure there is plenty of other things to sample.  Besides, more sugar for the both of you.

She wasn’t going to give up that easily.  Her large, sapphire eyes grew ever larger as she trained them upon the man.  Alora had a feeling the child had the father wrapped around her little finger.

Tyva wasn’t Tyva: One bite…

The antennae said it all.  It wasn’t quite an acquiescence, but Alora would take it.

DeVeau: I think you’re winning, Tyva.

Dal: No promises…

No promises, but he also didn’t say no absolute negatives either.  Progress was made, and it was all because of a little girl.

Tyva: And what about Miss Alora?

That was the other issue, wasn’t it?  So perhaps her wide eyed expression hadn’t just been about the sugar after all.

DeVeau: Yes, Ishreth.

Alora’s own eyes, emerald to compliment nicely the blue of his daughter’s, grew similarly wide, brimming with a galaxy of innocence.   But then he sighed, and his answer wasn’t quite what she expected.

Dal: Given names are strictly for children, and family.  It is considered an honor to be considered an adult, called by title and surname or title and family name.  Or title and clan name, depending on rank.

Ah.  So there was more to it than Alora expected.  While it was a matter of his upbringing, there was a different aspect that she had no idea about.  How very interesting.  It only brought out their differences, but that didn’t mean they were bad, ust interesting.  Alora could understand it, and she didn’t want to disrespect it.

DeVeau: I see.  Is that across the board for your people?

Ishreth allowed himself some food before he gave Alora an answer.

Dal: It depends.  Some Andorians have many more names than you are given as a Starfleet officer.  Some do not. Much depends on whether the individual is from one of the high clans which come from the larger, more hospitable continent on Andor, or the low clans, which come from the smaller and less hospitable continent.  The cultural difference – to an Andorian, are quite stark.  And then, there are differences based on clan, ranking within the clan, whether the clan is considered noble or not, family, bloodline… it gets complicated.

Now Alora did know that names among Andorian’s differed for various reasons.  Some had something like five or six while others only had two.  She had never known why.  Complicated?  Yet it certainly did sound complicated.

DeVeau: I see.  And I also see that I need to educate myself more about your culture, Ishreth.

Dal/Tyva: ?

She paused, then frowned.  Because of that culture, what did that mean about the way she addressed him?

DeVeau: Do you consider it disrespectful that I call you by your first name?

If so, then she would change it.  She would never intentionally do such a thing, and she would adjust if that is what he preferred.

Dal/Tyva: ?

Alora allowed herself a couple of bites, taking in some of the parthas as well as a devilled egg.

DeVeau: So, on my world, it depends on where you’re from as well, but well, the way it worked is if you were business partners, coworkers, or unacquainted, then last names were used, along with a proper title.  But…if you came to our house, you were welcomed and called by first name, because all who walked through our doors were called friends.  And with the way I grew up, in my family at least, first names were used.  In school it was different, and sometimes even friends from the country where I spent the last half of my life before the Academy ::And where she still called home when referring to Earth:: used last names, but…that’s just not how my family worked.   And I guess we’re just more informal in general. Alora offered a small smile and leaned forward.

DeVeau: And I do consider you a friend, Ishreth, and I’d like that friendship to grow stronger.  However, if by using your given name I am insulting you, then that’s the last thing I want to do.

Dal/Tyva: ?

--
Lt. Cmdr. Alora DeVeau
First Officer