Commodore Taybrim - Snake Pit (Tags: TRIAL and Tatash/DeVeau)

Jamie LeBlanc

Apr 16, 2021, 12:45:47 AM4/16/21
to SB118

((Qo’nos – High Court Chamber))

For a Klingon arena, this place smelled pretty good.

It smelled of stone and steel and age.  Of the sparks of fire and the drip of sweat.  It was dark and moody and hard, built up unimaginably tall to make those on trial feel as small as possible.  There was a single plinth bathed in cold white light and it was ringed with row upon row upon row of shrouded seats filled with councilors and heads of houses.  Anyone and everyone important in the Empire.  All of them hidden to the accused.

Voices echoed around in an eerie cacophony, mingled with an equal cacophony of emotions.  Sal stayed still standing beside Tatash and Alora DeVeau, as they were backed by the unpleasant watchful eyes of Vro’che.

They were not on the plinth.  No, they were in a darkened receptacle to the far side, where the witnesses waited.  Anonymous, for now.

Everything all stopped when a loud metal clanging sound rang across the room, a shower of sparks lifting up from the smooth shiny orb that served as a gavel which was struck against a thick metal plate at the forefront of the bench.  Voices silenced, and the judges deep voice rang out in Klingon.

Judge: Bring out the accused!

Any who did not speak Klingonese were provided a translator.

Sal did speak it.  He accepted one to keep up the façade, but he was all too aware that the translation was not as accurate as he would prefer.

The courtroom started to chant, banging lit sticks on the ground in a terrifying rhythm as the plinth sank.  And then slowly it rose again as the three prisoners were placed to the cage inside and lifted upwards in a pillar of blue-white light.

Janul was shackled.  Max and Sheila were not.  But all three were balanced on the rising pillar.

The chant of the crowd crew to an uproar.

Judge: Janul, House of Kravzo'ch.  Treason to the Empire.  Murder.  Destruction of the Vr’Chok.  Conspiracy with the Enemy.

The Judge paused and let the crowd react before going forward.

Judge: Lieutenant Commander Arturo Maxwell, Starfleet.  Lieutenant Sheila Bailey, Starfleet.  Conspiracy to act against the Empire.  Aiding and abetting a known murderer and criminal.  Attempting to free a prisoner of the empire.

He paused again.

Judge: How do you plead?

Janul/Maxwell/Bailey: ?

This was not the same sort of show trial that had been witnessed in the past.  Not a quick flash of some flag officers and a nasty trial to prove a point.  This was a true trial to move towards an execution – either of the prisoners or the Cult.

Judge: Very well.  ::The gavel banged again.:: Clear the floor.  Defense, prosecution.  You will examine the accused and call witnesses.

And that was when Vro’che ushered Sal, Alora and Tatash out of their shadowy little witness box and into a back room to wait until they were called.  Klingon trials were not open affairs.  Cloaked in darkness and mystery, witnesses were not allowed.

(OOC – this is where the two groups will break and Prosecution may start questioning the prisoners.  Breaking away to keep with the two groups)

The waiting room was not unpleasant, but it was small and claustrophobic, filled with a few hard chairs, a carved bench and a small bar area.

And a person waiting for them.

He lifted his face slowly, letting silken black hair fall from his strikingly beautiful features and pure black eyes.

Kelemkor: Ah, Vro’che.  You have done such a good job in guarding these… Starfleet … guests.

He spoke in Federation Common, and spoke the word guest as if it was ‘scum.’

Vroche: ?

Tatash/DeVeau: ?

Kelemkor stood up and swept towards the trio of Starfleet officers.

Kelemkor: Ah, Commodore Taybrim and entourage.  ::He smiled in a lovely but cold way.:: Allow me to introduce myself.  I am Kelemkor, your aide for this trial.

Taybrim: ::Calmly, diplomatically:: I was not aware we merited an aide.

Vroche: ?

Tatash/DeVeau: ?

For the moment they were all friends.  Kelemkor wasn’t aware they knew his allegiance and he was used to using his pretty face to win over non-Klingon species.

Friends, but not friends.  Under his charming demeanor there was a constant underlying sinister feeling that was reinforced by the knowledge that he was a high ranking member of the cult.

Kelemkor: Come now, Commodore.  Surely Attorney Li’otha has explained to you that the likely outcome of this trial is the execution of your officers.

Taybrim: That is a possibility we hope to avoid. ::Sal stated firmly.::

Vroche: ?

Tatash/DeVeau: ?

Kelemkor moved forward in a not-quite threatening manner, but one that was a little too close for comfort, smiling the entire time.

It made the claustrophobic little room feel even smaller, and the door on the other side felt much too far away.

Kelemkor: There are ways you could save them, if you are careful.

His voice was careful, but his dark eyes swept from Taybrim to Tatash to DeVeau, seeking out which one was the most vulnerable to his telepathic wiles.

Taybrim: I am already careful.  ::he said with a low conviction.::

Vroche: ?

Tatash/DeVeau: ?

~*~
tags/tbc
~*~

Commodore Sal Taybrim
Commanding Officer
StarBase 118 Ops

"Why do we fly? Because we have dreamt of it for so long that we must"

~Julian Beck

E239010ST0