LT Aine Sherlock - Settled

Aine Sherlock

Jun 11, 2022, 10:53:46 PM6/11/22
to sb11...@googlegroups.com
((USS Narendra, Science lab))

Sherlock: What if we tried to draw them out?

DeVeau: Please, go on.

Sherlock: We could use the fleet. I remember reading about a tactic used in the past where the ships were set up with a tachyon grid of sorts to disable cloaking devices.

Tito: Yes during one of the Klingon Civil Wars. That was used to prevent Romulan interference.

It was a simple idea, but one that hadn't been employed outside of the incident they were talking about. And it wasn't exactly standard operating procedure, and such ideas always made her nervous to speak up. At the Academy, everything was by-the-book. And old habits died hard.

DeVeau: That would certainly bring to light any cloaked ships.

Sherlock: If we do that, and they attack, it would most likely be to cover the ship carrying the device. When it goes to make its escape, we can run it down.

It wasn't the first time Aine had recommended a plan that was unorthodox. It probably wouldn't be the last. And she was just as nervous proposing one now as she was before.

Tito: That could be a way to flash them out.

DeVeau: Tito, your thoughts?

Aine wasn't sure where her eyes should go. The long non-response from the Intelligence Officer was making the scene awkward. Shifting them back and forth between Alora and Tito, before finally settling on her console, she pretended to be reading something.

DeVeau: Lieutenant Tito?

Tito: My apologies, I was distracted thinking of something. Perhaps we can use the Lieutenant’s plan, but to literally light them up.

Sherlock: Yeah?

There was the slightest bit of shock in Aine's reply. From what she'd seen and what she'd been told, she was surprised Tito actually agreed with her.

DeVeau: Okay, I’m listening.

Tito tapped away at his own console and before her on her own, came up a display of the fleet and a little more.

Tito: Why don’t we try and make it work as a fishing net? We set up a thachion grid, with crossed link connection to probes, and then we slowly move, expanding and retracting the net. Sounds feasible?

Sherlock: Yes, that could definitely work.

DeVeau: All right.  I’m going to go over this and make sure we’re all clear.

After a little tapping by Alora, the display shifted to the tracked ship. Aine wondered what Alora was looking for specifically.

Sherlock: We have a lot of space and a known trajectory. We can setup far enough up that they won't see in time to change course.

Tito: ?

DeVeau: Set up a moveable tachyon grid here and when the ship passes through it, we’ll see if it truly contains tricobalt because no matter the shielding, it should react and we should be able to see it on our sensors if it does.

Sherlock: Exactly. We'll hit it with the radion beam, if they're using metaphasic shields, we'll see it for sure.

Tito: ?

DeVeau: And what happens if that is the decoy?  We can’t just go around trawling this net and hoping we catch something with the expanse of space all around us.

And then there was that. There were so many unknowns. Was there even a decoy? No one really knew.

Sherlock: We just have to stick to what we do know. We don't really have any other options.

Tito: ?

It probably wasn't the answers Alora wanted to hear, but it was the truth. They could throw up networks of tachyon grids all over the sector, but they still only knew of the one ship. Even the might of Starfleet couldn't be everywhere at once.

Alora rubbed her eyes, Aine could almost feel the frustration. Maybe even a little fear. The duo had made it clear to Aine that Terra Prime was not an entity you wanted to make mistakes with.

DeVeau: Let’s just start where we have information.  Put together this net, get it ready to use on the ship that’s headed to Ivolus and hope that’s the one we want.  I’ll let the Commodore know our plan.

Sherlock: Yes, ma'am. Lieutenant Tito, I'll coordinate with the other ships to pick a location and layout for the grid. If you would coordinate with the Engineering departments to get the probes setup and deployed?

Tito: ?

Aine gave the Commander and Lieutenant one last nod then headed off. There was much coordination to be done and they couldn't fail on this one. Everything could depend on it.

End scene for Sherlock

Lieutenant Aine Sherlock
Tactical Officer
StarBase 118 Ops